X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Disk 28 of the Complete Messiaen box, featuring the Quartet for the End of Time and Exotic Birds.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      How did you get on with it? - I’ve never had problems with it, but then I have not got J L-W’s Bruckner fine toothcomb!
      With this particular Kna recording/edition of the 5th, I think a reference to "jagged-toothed hacksaw" might be more appropriate....

The Real Life is really getting in the way of listening just now but I'm in medias res with:

​Bruckner
      Symphony No.2 (1872 Original version ed. Carragan). Mozarteumorchester Salzburg/Ivor Bolton. OEHMS CD.

Long, lovely and lyrical at 71'36, scherzo 2nd, probably the best and certainly the most flowingly continuous of the versions of the 2nd. This beautifully-played-and-recorded performance emphasises the feeling of a Pastoral Symphony - only with the Storm at the end!

So if you still find the 2nd a challenge, think of it that way - and listen to a leisurely recording like this one...

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        https://areena.yle.fi/radio/ohjelmat/yle-klassinen/
        - Finnish online station.

Q: why is it that so many of the online classical stations play so much more adventurous programmes than BBC R3?
        I regularly hear pieces / composers I have never heard before.
        In the continuing absence of “ Contemporary Classical Radio” which I used to enjoy, this looks interesting.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Z
          Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
          Thanks to a tip-off from a fellow Forumista, I see that Eloquence have announced the forthcoming release of a box of Jochum's Philips recordings, including the LvB cycle.
          I look forward to that as I remember an old Philips LP of Beethoven Overtures and just googled this - looks exceedingly good

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Z

I look forward to that as I remember an old Philips LP of Beethoven Overtures and just googled this - looks exceedingly good
            https://www.marbecks.co.nz/detail/10...ngs-on-Philips
            Hopefully, this will turn up on QOBUZ.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Hopefully, this will turn up on QOBUZ.
              It's also on Amazon France https://www.amazon.fr/Orchestral-Rec.../dp/B085HQFJLY but no sign of it on the UK site.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Takemitsu: "Quotation of Dream" - various pieces, including the eponymous work of the CD's title

Peter Serkin/Paul Crossley (Pianos)/London Sinfonietta/Oliver Knussen

Something of a favourite CD, I realised with a degree of melancholy that it might also act as something of a memorial to Peter Serkin and to the much-missed Oliver Knussen. I know that Takemitsu isn't everyone's cup of (green) tea. As Oliver Knussen says in his notes, " ... the most often-voiced reservation about his later work is that it can sound as if it were all cut from the same gently hedonistic roll", but I think that it repays careful listening, rather than, say, letting it all wash over one. Whatever, difficult to imagine these pieces being better played.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Bruckner Mass No.3 in E Minor
                  RIAS Kammerchor/Orch. des Champs-Élysées/Herreweghe.
                  HM lossless, Q-Studio.

Glorious, soul-soothing-and-uplifting performance of this towering masterpiece, one of the best I've heard....

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Just downloaded the recommended Takemitsu and Bruckner above.
                    Currently
                    Harold in Italy.
                    LSO/ Davis/Imal

Which with the fillers ( CD 16 in the Philips Analogue box), adds up to 85 mins of music, apparently.
                    Is this a record ? No its a CD of course.......coat......
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Loved the Beethoven-Hough: Spring Clarinet Quintet this evening!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks for nudge. Meant to listen but forgot. I'll catch up.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Bruckner: Symphony No 8 (1892 Version by Bruckner and Joseph Schalk)
                          Münchner Philharmoniker
                          Hans Knappertsbusch

This is a terrific recording, made in 1963 and technically way ahead of the others in this set. Superb performance too 'where', in the words of Anthony Hodgson, 'majestic grandeur and quiet sensitivity are magically combined'.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

​Bruckner
                            Symphony No.2 (1872 Original version ed. Carragan). Mozarteumorchester Salzburg/Ivor Bolton. OEHMS CD rec. 2015.

I had to come back..... to this exceptional performance, in wonderfully full, vivid sound, of what is, in its original uncut version an amazing symphony.
                            One that could make a very good primer in Bruckner's true, startlingly original symphonic methods for any listener only familiar with the later, truncated versions. How baffling the pausensymphonie can seem with those leaps and breaks, all so stop-go in the wrong hands...!
                            So take this one on - that 21' finale is a fantastical symphony in itself. (I recall Caliban saying that the start of the development reminded him of Elliott Carter....! It is a remarkable, quirky passage for brief wind/string figures).

The Mozarteum have a lovely warmth, delicacy - and considerable climactic robustness! Any Brucknerian owes it to themselves to hear this marvellous achievement.
                            The 2nd is a work I can become obsessed with.... I may have to seek out Blomstedt again just to hear how he fits all this into 62'....
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 13-03-20, 09:47.

Comment

• gradus
                              • Nov 2010

Tchaikovsky sym 3 - Bernstein's super recording with the NYPO. The last movement kept up my spirits during a long traffic hold-up on the A14.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Recordings of the 'complete' surviving/rescued music of Edgar(d) Varèse as performed at or in relation with the May 2017 Radio 3 Barbican Varèse Total Immersion day.

Comment

Working...
                                X