X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Wagner: "The Ring"; BPO/Karajan & chums.

I first got to know this epic through the TV broadcasts of the Boulez/Chéreau Bayreuth Centenary production, which I saw both times it was broadcast. With my first salary cheque in 1983, I went into London and bought this Karajan LP boxed set (an enormous and hefty cube of a thing) from the HMV Shop - and it was from this recording that I really "learnt" the work. In my stupid attempt at "downsizing" in the early '90s, I sold off the box to a second-hand Record shop - and I hadn't heard it in nearly thirty years. I rectified my hasty error by finally buying the CD version as a Christmas present to myself, and played it over the past week.

Wow!

I had forgotten just how good this set is. From a Musical point of view, this is exemplary - the singing is superb (not a screecher among them), the orchestral playing breath-taking - and the conductor's overall vision ... ! I mentioned on Joseph's "Listening Habits" Thread how I often put discs on as semi-"background" Music whilst I do other things. No chance with this - the intensity of the Music-making completely demands your attention: it slaps the book out of your hands, makes you sit up straight and pay attention! It reminded me of the first time I ever heard a Karajan performance: the power and intensity of the Music-making just commands total attention; the Music becomes absolutely the total focus of your attention - time takes a long tea break. Magnificent. Magnificentissimo.

There are a couple of points that some listeners find annoying on the "casting" side - feeling that not having the same singer for Brunnhilde throughout (for example) is a problem, For me, it's fine that Brunnhilde is a different voice when she wakes up as a woman from when she was an immortal - and Helge Dernesch is a superbly Musical singer in Gotterdammerung (a bit less wonderful in the duet that concludes Siegfried - she and Jess Thomas sound "pushed to their limits" here) - none of the Fog Horn sonorities or hard-edged shrieking of other singers who have recorded the role. My only problem, really, is with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau as Wotan in Rheingold - beautifully sung, Musically, but dramatically, rather too beautiful - he doesn't sound nearly "seedy" enough. It would have been much better if Thomas Stewart had sung Wotan throughout - what a fantastic Wotan his is - pitch-perfect, and with all the necessary range (from feeble self-pity to snarling, bestial menace - and that's just in Walkure!) and power. Amongst my favourite Wotans, along with Gerald London and Donald McIntyre - but so distinctive a voice makes his reappearance as Gunther in Gotterdammerung a bit odd: it's as if Wotan is in disguise again. (DF-D should have been given this role - exactly the right sound for Gunther - and Stewart the Wotan in Rheingold - as he is in the video of that work with Karajan.)

Gundula Janowitz is perfect as both Sieglinde and Gutrune. When the former is sung by a "heavier"-voiced singer, one often wonders why she hasn't poisoned Hunding on their wedding night, and why such a powerful role from Act One has turned into such a feeble wimp in Act Two. Janowitz brings out the fragility of the character from the start, but with a voice that soars above the orchestra, beautifully piercing the texture - clear, lucid and perfectly in tune even with Jon Vickers doing his "Jon Vickers" thing. Both are superb. Gutrune is (with Freia) one of the least sympathetic roles in all opera - Janowitz brings out the strength of character that Wagner's notes offer: she creates a rare (for me) feeling of sympathy for the character (helped in no small part by James Galway, who played the principal Flute which so often accompanies her vocal line - the blend of these two "instruments" is but one of the innumerable miracles on this recording). Josephine Veasey is unsurpassed as Fricka - none of the "nagging wife" that put Anne Sophie von Otter off taking on the role, Veasey and Karajan portray her as a dignified woman, deeply wronged, who has genuine grievances against the behaviour of her double-dealing husband, and who presents them with force of moral character. And with this casting the contrasting pairs of women in these operas - Fricka and Friea in Rheingold, Sieglinde and Brunnhilde in Walkure, Brunnhilde and Gutrune in Gotterdammerung - is made very clear to an extent I'd never noticed before.

The Penguins used to chortle about Jess Thomas that "when Siegfried is out-sung by Mime, it is time to complain", without pointing out that this was equally true of the other sets available at the time. He's in very good voice - much, much better than many a singer recorded in the role since - and, as I mentioned, just pushed to his limits at the very end of Siegfried (although he and Dernesch are both in much better voice than Kollo and Behrens in the Sawallisch set - both well-past their Best Before dates, they bellow horrendously off-key and rhythm - Thomas and Behrens are gloriously beautiful in comparison). But the real revelation for me this time was Helge Brilioth as Siegfried in Gotterdammerung - what a tremendous voice! Blimey - this role has never been bettered on disc; strong, powerful, and beautifully sonorous voice, smack-bang in the middle of intonation and rhythm. And this seems to have been his only important recording! If only he'd've been in Siegfried as well!

And Karajan - perfection of pacing, with equal grasp of individual details (the Bass Clarinet which splices Wotan's farewell into the Magic Fire Music - exactly the right level of crescendo to move the tone from the languorous "sleep" Music to the forceful "fire") as of overall "arch" (the Funeral March isn't treated as a Concert item, with everything blazing - it is tremendous, but Karajan holds back, saving the real climax for he very end [the bit where certain other recordings have to resort to the sound effects to make up for the conductor's having shot his bolt earlier on].)

It isn't a recording for "everyday" hearing (that would possibly be the earlier of the two Janowski recordings) - but as a very special event, making clear just how important the Work is on the scale of things ... this is unbeatable.
    Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 02-02-20, 20:03.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Felix the Gnat
      Banned
      • Jun 2019

What an inspiring post! Many thanks.

I got to know this work through Solti, but the more familiar I became with The Ring over the years, the more I appreciated the Karajan and the more it grew on me .......

(I had things to do this afternoon, but you've got me listening out for Janowitz/Galway passages!)

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Last night....

Escales, Gramophone's Record of the month.
        Sinfonia of London/John Wilson

Escales. Chandos: CHSA5252. Buy SACD or download online. Sinfonia of London, John Wilson

The opening España is a cracker, but the rest of the pieces didn't grab me in the same way, despite a very clean recording.

I first got to know the second of Duruflé's Trois danses as it was the filler (never released on CD afaik) on the Andrew Davis full-scale recording of the Requiem; memories (perhaps false) of it were not eclipsed.
        So now I'm about to listen to the other two recordings I have: Orchestre National de l'ORTF/Duruflé and Bamberger Symphoniker/Kantorow.
        That said, if you only know the Requiem and his organ music, do try out these short danses on this new Chandos CD.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Pulcie, looks very good. I’ll be buying this at some point.

Sir Edward Elgar
          String Quartet in Eminor, Op.83
          Piano Quintet in A minor, Op.84
          Martin Rosco(piano)
          The Brodsky Quartet
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Beethoven.. Piano Concerto No.5 in Eb. 'The Emperor'

Friedrich Gulda, piano.

The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Horst Stein.

Pickwick label.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              I note that Bezuidenhout is down to play in the Triple Concerto with the SCO. I do hope that concerto is included in the plans for Harmonia Mundi recordings with the Freiburgers.
              Details of the 20/27 series in the booklet show the Faust/Queyras/Melnikov partnership as soloists in the Triple Concerto with the Freiburgers and Heras-Casado.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Schubert. C Major Quintet.

The Aeolian Quartet with Bruno Schrecker, 'cello.

SAGA label.

Not the most polished of performances but they really capture the spirit of this amazing music.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                  Details of the 20/27 series in the booklet show the Faust/Queyras/Melnikov partnership as soloists in the Triple Concerto with the Freiburgers and Heras-Casado.
                  As I saw but failed to mention here, shortly after posting #9797. Well it is a different genre, I suppose, the cello being the center of attention (he who pays the piper . . . ). Not happy with what looks like the absence of a Bezuidenhout 4th. I would really welcome a HIPP offering using Barry Cooper's edition of Beethoven's manuscript revisions. I wonder what precisely is meant by "new edition" re Cascioli's recording of the 4th? Is it the Del Mar, the Del Mar + Cooper, or what? I must get along to Westminster Music Library to check Del Mar's critical notes. I only have the study score of his edition and Barry Cooper's introduction in that makes it clear that he does not consider such revisions warrant inclusion in a new 'official' edition of the whole concerto. I'm just glad that Brautigam made them available for anyone interested to hear, albeit on an instrument with mechanical, dynamic and timbral qualities unknown to the composer/pianist LvB.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Magnard Symphony No.3; No.4.
                    Freiburg PO/Bollon. Naxos CD 2019.

​Returning to these for the first time since their late 2019 release, in the light of the recent, outstanding 1&2....
                    ​These recordings are simply magnificent... the 4th's finale attains a nobility, grandeur and beauty, then that mysterious fade to a hesitant close that, better than any other, reveals this "Alpine Symphony" (predating the Strauss by some years) for the little known masterpiece it is. Bollon is the first since Plasson to create that swirling, coloristic orchestral-concerto fantasy from the very beginning of 4(i), but with far better sound and playing....

These performances have it all... the soaring beauty and pastoral poetry of the slow movements, the delicacy and swing of the scherzi, the energy and power of the finales, all realised with a wonderfully instinctive feel for the idiom (the way the music moves, in every sense.....) and just the right Francko-Wagnerian textural palette... a great achievement.

I was in tears through the extended final climax of the 4th...like Dante and Beatrice...."and that day we read no further".....I didn't have to bring the tragic conclusion to Magnard's life to mind to respond in that way.... but then, if one does.....
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 03-02-20, 15:46.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Mahler 9.
                      BPO / Karajan.

In my imagination, somebody somewhere programmes 9 and 10 ( or at least the first movement) back to back, and the world probably seems to stop spinning.

The other day.
                      Alwyn Symphony #4 RLPO / DLJ ( also probably have to stay in my imagination) , which would be wonderful live, and, on reflection, might be a good one to introduce to interested younger people.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        As I saw but failed to mention here, shortly after posting #9797. Well it is a different genre, I suppose, the cello being the center of attention (he who pays the piper . . . ). Not happy with what looks like the absence of a Bezuidenhout 4th. I would really welcome a HIPP offering using Barry Cooper's edition of Beethoven's manuscript revisions. I wonder what precisely is meant by "new edition" re Cascioli's recording of the 4th? Is it the Del Mar, the Del Mar + Cooper, or what? I must get along to Westminster Music Library to check Del Mar's critical notes. I only have the study score of his edition and Barry Cooper's introduction in that makes it clear that he does not consider such revisions warrant inclusion in a new 'official' edition of the whole concerto. I'm just glad that Brautigam made them available for anyone interested to hear, albeit on an instrument with mechanical, dynamic and timbral qualities unknown to the composer/pianist LvB.
                        The 20/27 edition does indeed include a Bezuidenhout 4th. It's part of Vol. 3 of his complete survey, listed in the back of the booklet as coupled with 'Overtures'.

Confusingly, the edition also includes another disc of Piano Concertos, consisting of a 'new edition' of the 4th coupled with the piano transcription of the Violin Concerto (for some reason described as concerto no. '6'). Gianluca Cascioli is the soloist (on modern piano), with Ensemble Resonanz conducted by Riccardo Minasi.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                          The 20/27 edition does indeed include a Bezuidenhout 4th. It's part of Vol. 3 of his complete survey, listed in the back of the booklet as coupled with 'Overtures'.

Confusingly, the edition also includes another disc of Piano Concertos, consisting of a 'new edition' of the 4th coupled with the piano transcription of the Violin Concerto (for some reason described as concerto no. '6'). Gianluca Cascioli is the soloist (on modern piano), with Ensemble Resonanz conducted by Riccardo Minasi.
                          Ah, I failed to take in the second line of that Piano Concertos listing. I just noted Vol. 2 and assumed a single disc. Given all the decoration Bezuidenhout introduces, perhaps he will play at least some of the revisions Barry Cooper deciphered.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Ludwig Van Beethoven
                            Piano Sonatas

Piano Sonata No.28 in A major, Op.101
                            Piano Sonata No.29 in Bb major
                            “Grosse Sonate für des Hammerklavier”
                            Emil Gilels, piano.
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Klaus Florian Vogt - Wagner
                              Wagner arias from Meistersinger, Lohengrin, Parsifal, Rienzi, Tristan & Isolde, Der fliegende Holländer, Götterdämmerung, Die Walküre
                              Klaus Florian Vogt (tenor)
                              Bamberger Symphoniker / Jonathan Nott
                              with Camilla Nylund (soprano)
                              Recorded 2012 Konzerthalle, Bamberg
                              Sony Classical

Mozart & Beethoven: Quintette für Bläser & Klavier (Quintets for Winds & Piano)
                              Mozart

Piano Quintet in E-Flat Major, K. 452
                              Beethoven
                              Piano Quintet in E-Flat Major, Op. 16
                              Margarita Höhenrieder (piano) & Bläsersolisten der Dresden Staatskapelle
                              Recorded 2012 Bibliothekssaal, Polling
                              Hänssler Classic - Wonderful playing! A favourite Beethoven album.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Beethoven 8 - Cleveland Orchestra/Szell

Comment

Working...
                                X