X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
    A 2 cd set that I bought on eBay entitled 'André Cluytens. Artist Profile'.

Cd one consists of Frank's Le Chesseur maudit, Gabriele Pierné's Concertstück op. 39 for Harp and Orchestra and Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony.

Lovely playing and sympathetic conducting.
    very glad that you have been enjoying AC's conducting.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
      very glad that you have been enjoying AC's conducting.
      Thanks, HD.

I must check and see if this is the same performance of the 'Pastoral' symphony that I bought for 99p in 1977 when it was released on the old CfP label. Very well recorded with a good sense of instrument placement. I really enjoyed the Franck work which I don't think I knew before tonight.

Comment

• Neil
        • Dec 2016

Enjoying listening to this man's music http://www.atonality.net/category/co...bjornseth/new/

I really like this rather strange, lonely music, simple and uncluttered textures, contemplative, giving off a sense of isolation and nordic remoteness. I never hear of him mentioned anywhere except on the site which he owns and maintains.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Taneyev

At The Reading Of A Psalm

Pletnev et al

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
            Beethoven: Symphonies Nos 3 in E-flat major, op.55, 4 in B-flat major, op.60, 5 in C minor, op.67, 6 in F major, op.68 and 9 in D minor, op.125

Simona Šaturová (soprano), Mihoko Fujimora (alto), Christian Elsner (tenor), Christian Gerhaher (baritone), MDR Rundfunkchor/Gewandhaus Chor/Leipzig Kinderchor, Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, Herbert Blomstedt

Continuing my exploration of this set (and marvelling again at Blomstedt's stamina - the 4th, recorded in March of this year, fizzes with energy - not bad for someone aged 89 when it was recorded), I suspect that it is going to be my "go-to" Beethoven cycle for performances on modern instruments. The playing and the recording are glorious - and Blomstedt, like Haitink, brings a lifetime of experience to bear in letting the music speak for itself. The set is very handsomely packaged, with good notes.
            Heartily endorse your comments on this set. Last year's Proms LvB 7 from these forces gave notice of what we can expect here and it doesn't disappoint. Not played the whole set yet but currently enjoying when not listening to the Proms.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Shostakovich
              Symphony No. 5
              Barber
              Adagio for Strings
              Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra/Manfred Honeck
              Recorded live 2013 Heinz Hall for the Performing Arts, Pittsburgh
              Reference Recording (SACD) Just out!

Brahms
              String Quintet in G major, op.111
              String Quintet in F major, op. 88
              Leipzig String Quartet
              with Hartmut Rohde (viola)
              Recorded 2003, Lindensaal Markkleeberg, Germany
              MDG

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Radio Cornwall's Sunday evening 'Sounds of Brass' programme has included a Howard Snell arrangement of Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue BWV582? and an arrangement of Rachmaninov Sym 2 movt 3 with a cornet solo. Both very pleasant. I guess bbm may like but perhaps not ferney. If interested can get on Radio iplayer later.
                I will be, Cloughie. many thanks. There's so much going on the airwaves, difficult to keep up!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Ignatz Waghalter (1881 - 1949)

Violin concerto op.15.

Rhapsody for violin and orchestra op.9

Sonata for violin and piano in f minor op.5

Idyll for violin and piano op.19b

Irmina Trynkos, violin.

Giorgi Latsabidze, piano.

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Alexander Walker.

The music strikes me as a mixture of Korngold, Glazunov and Goldmark. Attractive but not earth shaking. Extremely well played.

Naxos label.

Interestingly, 'The Belgravia Centre' is credited with having provided generous support. Upon googling, it seems to be a hair clinic!
                  Last edited by pastoralguy; 01-08-17, 15:27.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Beethoven: Diabelli Variations (Paul Baumgartner, rec. Feb. 1952), to be followed by

Reger: Telemann Variations (Erik Then-Bergh, rec. Dec. 1951)

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

Proms prep....

John Adams Naive and Sentimental Music (1998-9).
                      Los Angeles PO/Salonen. Nonesuch CD 2002

Stravinsky Chorale-Variations.
                      CBC SO/Stravinsky rec. 1963. Sony CD 2015, from "IS - The Complete Columbia Album Collection".

Busoni Berceuse Élégiaque Op.42. BBCPO/Neeme Järvi. Chandos CD 2002.
                      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 01-08-17, 19:35.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

A brace of Bruckner symphonies - the Fourth and Sixth; both with the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Mista Da Klemps. EMI recordings from 1962 and '65 respectively. YEARS since I last played these - like meeting up with old and loved friends again. (The Sixth is even better than I was expecting - I played the LP to death in the early '80s, and was a little nervous that memory might have "improved" it. No - it's even better than I'd thought.)
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pianoman
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          A brace of Bruckner symphonies - the Fourth and Sixth; both with the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Mista Da Klemps. EMI recordings from 1962 and '65 respectively. YEARS since I last played these - like meeting up with old and loved friends again. (The Sixth is even better than I was expecting - I played the LP to death in the early '80s, and was a little nervous that memory might have "improved" it. No - it's even better than I'd thought.)
                          Thanks for that - I don't know his 4th so will put that right, but the 6th was always my 'go to' version, and likewise, i haven't played it for years, so that will also be put right this very night...)

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                            Proms prep....

John Adams Naive and Sentimental Music (1998-9).
                            Los Angeles PO/Salonen. Nonesuch CD 2002

Stravinsky Chorale-Variations.
                            CBC SO/Stravinsky rec. 1963. Sony CD 2015, from "IS - The Complete Columbia Album Collection".

Busoni Berceuse Élégiaque Op.42. BBCPO/Neeme Järvi. Chandos CD 2002.
                            But why no Shéhérazade?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              But why no Shéhérazade?
                              Hiya Pulcinella,

You may be interested that last year I was at the German premiere of Adam's 'Shéhérazade 2' - Dramatic Symphony for violin and orchestra with soloist Leila Josefowicz and Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by the composer which I quite enjoyed but it contained many off putting longueurs. In my view the opening work of that Philharmonie concert the remarkable 'Harmonielehre' for orchestra is in a higher league.

If I could recommend a single Adams work it would be 'Absolute Jest' a concerto for string quartet and orchestra. When I heard it performed in Berlin in 2015 by Saint Lawrence String Quartet and San Francisco Symphony Orchestra under Michael Tilson Thomas I thought it was terrific. That reminds me to give it a play very soon. When I look back what a marvellous programme it was at the Philharmonie that eveining: Schoenberg 'Variations' Op. 43b; Adams 'Absolute Jest' and Beethoven Symphony No. 3 'Eroica'
                              Last edited by Stanfordian; 01-08-17, 22:30.

Comment

• Pianorak
                                • Nov 2010

Haydn - Piano Sonatas 35-39 and 20
                                Andreas Staier, Fortepiano
                                What artistry!
                                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                                X