• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Boulez: Dérive 2 - members of the West Eastern Divan Orchestra/Barenboim

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupBoulez: Dérive 2 · West-Eastern Divan Orchestra · Daniel BarenboimHommage à Boulez℗ 2017 Daniel Barenboim & UNITE...

Comment

• DublinJimbo
      • Nov 2011

I wasn't aware of this work at all. It's quite a discovery, wonderfully recorded and performed.

Apologies for this contribution's appearance out of context. It concerns the Berlioz Messe solennelle, from Hervé Niquet and Le Concert Spirituel.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
        • Nov 2011

Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker op. 71 (complete ballet)
        State Academic Symphony Orchestra of Russia “Evgeny Svetlanov” / Vladimir Jurowski

Absolute joy from beginning to end. This is the real deal. The verve and forward drive are toe-tappingly irresistible (surely any decent ballet company would be inspired to give of their best for such an involving realisation of Tchaikovsky's glorious score). I listened to this on earphones in hospital while recovering from surgery. It kept me sane and brought a smile to my face — ah, the healing power of music!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
          — ah, the healing power of music!
          - hope all went well and you made/are making a complete recovery, DubJim.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            - hope all went well and you made/are making a complete recovery, DubJim.
            Indeed so, hope you are on the mend!

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Brahms
              ‘Choral Works’
              Schicksalslied, Op. 54
              Warum ist das Licht gegeben den Mühseligen, Op. 74/No. 1
              Nänie, Op. 82
              Drei Gesänge, Op. 42
              Es tönt ein voller Harfenklang, Op. 17/1
              Geistliches Lied, Op. 30
              Rundfunkchor Berlin,
              Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin / Gijs Leenaars
              Antonio Adriani (horn), Elsie Bedleem (harp)
              Recorded 2018, Großen Sendesaal Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg, Berlin
              Sony Classical - new release

Haydn
              Symphony N. 88 in G major, Hob. I:88
              Symphony N. 92 in G major ‘Oxford’, Hob. I:92
              Symphony N. 94 in G major ‘Surprise’, Hob. I:94
              Wiener Philharmoniker / Leonard Bernstein
              Recorded live 1983-85 Wiener Musikverein, Austria
              Deutsche Grammophon

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Myaskovsky
                String quartet box just arrived.
                CD1 tracking fault about 14 minutes in on final track (track 9).
                Anyone else got the same problem?

Comment

• Master Jacques
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Myaskovsky
                  String quartet box just arrived.
                  CD1 tracking fault about 14 minutes in on final track (track 9).
                  Anyone else got the same problem?
                  Grinding my teeth to see this box has appeared, as I spent considerable time and money sourcing the five separate discs in May! For what it is worth I don't have that problem with my Quartet No.3 Teme e variazioni.

I have been underwhelmed by much of the music in this set, likewise the performances - and hope you can put me right as to what I might have been missing.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                    Grinding my teeth to see this box has appeared, as I spent considerable time and money sourcing the five separate discs in May! For what it is worth I don't have that problem with my Quartet No.3 Teme e variazioni.

I have been underwhelmed by much of the music in this set, likewise the performances - and hope you can put me right as to what I might have been missing.
                    Thanks for that: I'll try it again (already did on same system after inspecting in case there was an obvious speck) on a different player later, but I've already reported to the supplier (and asked if they could check any replacement in case it is a batch pressing fault).
                    For what it's worth, I was impressed with what I'd heard up to the point where the CD started skipping.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                      Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker op. 71 (complete ballet)
                      State Academic Symphony Orchestra of Russia “Evgeny Svetlanov” / Vladimir Jurowski

Absolute joy from beginning to end. This is the real deal. The verve and forward drive are toe-tappingly irresistible (surely any decent ballet company would be inspired to give of their best for such an involving realisation of Tchaikovsky's glorious score). I listened to this on earphones in hospital while recovering from surgery. It kept me sane and brought a smile to my face — ah, the healing power of music!
                      DJ - all the best for a full and speedy recovery (and for you posting discoveries which the rest of us can - shamelessly - exploit). One for you (if you haven't already heard it/don't find it too intense for a serene recovery) - Pavel Haas Quartet Shostakovich SQs 2, 7 & 8. Remarkable.

Comment

• frankbridge
                        • Sep 2018

Die Zauberflöte

Mozart

ARJ(RIP)/Argento/James/Denley/Schmidt/Hoch/Upshaw/de May/Hauptmann/Bär/Pierard/Bonner(RIP)/Tubb/Trevor

Schütz Choir/London Classical Players

conducted by Roger Norrington

EMI Reflexe CDS 754 287-2

and three lions too

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Brahms - ‘Choral Works’
                          Schicksalslied, Op. 54
                          Warum ist das Licht gegeben den Mühseligen, Op. 74/No. 1
                          Nänie, Op. 82
                          Drei Gesänge, Op. 42
                          Es tönt ein voller Harfenklang, Op. 17/1
                          Geistliches Lied, Op. 30
                          Rundfunkchor Berlin,
                          Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin / Gijs Leenaars
                          Antonio Adriani (horn), Elsie Bedleem (harp)
                          Recorded 2018, Großen Sendesaal Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg, Berlin
                          Sony Classical - new release

Schubert
                          Piano Quintet, ‘Trout’
                          Mendelssohn
                          Octet, Op. 20
                          Henschel Quartet members: Christoph Henschel (violin), Monika Henschel (viola), Mathias Beyer-Karlshøj (cello); Diogenes Quartet: Stefan Kirpal (violin), Gundula Kirpal (violin), Alba González i Becerra (viola), Stephen Ristau (cello) with Gregory Maytan (viola); Gerold Huber (piano), Alexandra Hengstebeck (double bass),
                          Recorded 2019 Himmelfahrtskirche, Sendling, Munich
                          Solo Musica - new release

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Beethoven Piano Concertos 3 & 5. (Disc 2 From complete cycle).
                            Brautigam/Kölner Akademie/Willens. BIS CDs. New Release.

I keep going back over all the performances, picking out those wonderful slow movements, the way the finales have both expressive subtlety and wind-and-brass led dynamic variety and power (5th's finale remarkable in this respect) perhaps above all: how Brautigam's art of the fortepiano seems to have reached even greater levels of beauty and elegance, virtuosity and controlled mellow resonance.... there's a rippling, songful liquidity to the faster passages, especially with the McNulty/Walter, which lingers in the mind afterward. This, set off against the ebullient, rich, colourful brass and winds, the exceptional purity and serene tonal character of the strings, creates a uniquely memorable impression....

Not returned to RB's earlier modern-instrument set (Steinway D/Norrkoping/Parrott - my previous favourite) yet.... need to dwell upon the new one a while longer....

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              Beethoven Piano Concertos 3 & 5. (Disc 2 From complete cycle).
                              Brautigam/Kölner Akademie/Willens. BIS CDs. New Release.

I keep going back over all the performances, picking out those wonderful slow movements, the way the finales have both expressive subtlety and wind-and-brass led dynamic variety and power (5th's finale remarkable in this respect) perhaps above all: how Brautigam's art of the fortepiano seems to have reached even greater levels of beauty and elegance, virtuosity and controlled mellow resonance.... there's a rippling, songful liquidity to the faster passages, especially with the McNulty/Walter, which lingers in the mind afterward. This, set off against the ebullient, rich, colourful brass and winds, the exceptional purity and serene tonal character of the strings, creates a uniquely memorable impression....

Not returned to RB's earlier modern-instrument set (Steinway D/Norrkoping/Parrott - my previous favourite) yet.... need to dwell upon the new one a while longer....
                              Re. the 'slow movement' (and finale) of the 5th, can I again recommend watching/listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9nF_n625_Q

and from the same stable, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF-iN-lbAog
                              Last edited by Bryn; 06-11-19, 17:34. Reason: Update.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Re. the 'slow movement' (and finale) of the 5th, can I again recommend watching/listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9nF_n625_Q

and from the same stable, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF-iN-lbAog
                                Thankyou so much for this - just watched the first one about the 18th/19th C. pianos and orchestras, with striking points about the roles of violinist-leader and pianist-leader with differing roles in the same performance, and the 19th C's view of art, history, the role of the soloist etc....
                                Wonderful piece, brilliantly presented - everyone should watch this.
                                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 06-11-19, 20:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X