Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

​Magnard Symphony No.2.

Toulouse Capitole/Plasson (EMI Angel CD).

and

BBCSSO/Ossonce (Hyperion CD)

Lovely piece, you might say Magnard's Pastoral (with a fascinating ​concerto grosso style 1st movement called "Overture"), but tricky to get right.... Ossonce has the beauty of sound, perfect slow movement, just lingers a little too long & lovingly (admiring the view) in between the faster episodes....
      Plasson less well recorded, but so idiomatic....that schwung thing ​again....

I so, so hope Bollon gets around to it (preferably in Flanders rather than Freiburg though...)

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        ​Magnard Symphony No.2.

Toulouse Capitole/Plasson (EMI Angel CD).

and

BBCSSO/Ossonce (Hyperion CD)

Lovely piece, you might say Magnard's Pastoral (with a fascinating ​concerto grosso style 1st movement called "Overture"), but tricky to get right.... Ossonce has the beauty of sound, perfect slow movement, just lingers a little too long & lovingly (admiring the view) in between the faster episodes....
        Plasson less well recorded, but so idiomatic....that schwung thing ​again....

I so, so hope Bollon gets around to it (preferably in Flanders rather than Freiburg though...)
        You always make recordings sound so enticing!
        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Handel Arias – Magdalena Kožená
          Alcina, Hercules, Agrippina, Giulio Cesare in Egitto, Joshua, Ariodante, Theodora, Amadigi di Gaula, Orlando, Ariodante, Rinaldo
          Magdalena Kožená (mezzo-soprano)
          Venice Baroque Orchestra / Andrea Marcon
          Recorded 2006, Gustav Mahler Saal, Kulturzentrum Grand Hotel, Toblach
          Archiv Produktion

Beethoven
          Symphony No. 9 ‘Choral’
          Anja Kampe (soprano), Daniela Sindram (mezzo-soprano), Burkhard Fritz (tenor), René Pape (bass),
          Wiener Singverein / Johann Prinz (choirmaster)
          Wiener Symphoniker / Philippe Jordan
          Recorded Live May 2017, Große Musikvereinssaal, Vienna
          Wiener Symphoniker own label - new release
          Last edited by Stanfordian; 19-09-19, 15:01.

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Haydn, sonata no. 51, played on fortepiano by Christine Schornsheim.

Both my ears are badly blocked, so I'm having to listen with the volume turned up slightly.

Of course it compromises my ability to hear stuff, having blocked ears, but not entirely my enjoyment of music - music is a welcome distraction from the white noise I hear constantly in my inner ear.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

The new recordings of the Beethoven Piano Concertos

Jan Lisiecki, piano.

The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.

Deutsche Grammophon.

I've lived with And loved these pieces since 1977 when I faithfully bought the John Lill/Gibson/SNO Lps from the Orchestra's Friend's Stall in the Usher Hall as a teenager. I've heard MANY cycles on both records and live but I have to say that this set is, imvho, outstanding both as performances and recordings. Mrs. PG and bought a cd of Lisiecki playing Mozart Concerto and were very impressed. This confirms that, for us, he is a pianist to be heard.

If you are in the zone to buy these then don't hesitate!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                The new recordings of the Beethoven Piano Concertos

Jan Lisiecki, piano.

The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.

Deutsche Grammophon.

I've lived with And loved these pieces since 1977 when I faithfully bought the John Lill/Gibson/SNO Lps from the Orchestra's Friend's Stall in the Usher Hall as a teenager. I've heard MANY cycles on both records and live but I have to say that this set is, imvho, outstanding both as performances and recordings. Mrs. PG and bought a cd of Lisiecki playing Mozart Concerto and were very impressed. This confirms that, for us, he is a pianist to be heard.

If you are in the zone to buy these then don't hesitate!
                Ah, just the positive encouragement I needed to go from swithering over "buy" to, well, "buy". Thanks, PG.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                  Haydn, sonata no. 51, played on fortepiano by Christine Schornsheim.

Both my ears are badly blocked, so I'm having to listen with the volume turned up slightly.

Of course it compromises my ability to hear stuff, having blocked ears, but not entirely my enjoyment of music - music is a welcome distraction from the white noise I hear constantly in my inner ear.
                  My sympathies, Josef.... I suffered with this in the past, mainly after URTIs... and I also turned to solo piano to get me through....(Messiaen Catalogue d'Oiseaux one winter, and how soothing those birds were... I clung to them...

I have intermittent left-ear hiss, low-level, main reason I tend away from vocal/operatic/choral and toward chamber/smaller-scale orchestral/ contemporary now........
                  Do you try to treat it? Sudafed/IBuprofen helped me sometimes (depends on causation), but usually it was just time....

Right here right now.....

​John Luther Adams Become Desert
                  Seattle SO/Morlot New Release 24/96 Qobuz-S.
                  ​Drifting through the house like sonic sands, soothing ambience during a stressful week....

Gesualdo Responsoria 1611. CVG/Herreweghe, PHI lossless, Qobuz-S.
                  Similar comments apply but - choral? A soft contemplative ambient exception that proves the rule...
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 19-09-19, 20:23.

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    My sympathies, Josef.... I suffered with this in the past, mainly after URTIs... and I also turned to solo piano to get me through....(Messiaen Catalogue d'Oiseaux one winter, and how soothing those birds were... I clung to them...

I have intermittent left-ear hiss, low-level, main reason I tend away from vocal/operatic/choral and toward chamber/smaller-scale orchestral/ contemporary now........
                    Do you try to treat it? Sudafed/IBuprofen helped me sometimes (depends on causation), but usually it was just time....

Right here right now.....

​John Luther Adams Become Desert
                    Seattle SO/Morlot New Release 24/96 Qobuz-S.
                    ​Drifting through the house like sonic sands, soothing ambience during a stressful week....

Gesualdo Responsoria 1611. CVG/Herreweghe, PHI lossless, Qobuz-S.
                    Similar comments apply but - choral? A soft contemplative ambient exception that proves the rule...
                    Many thanks, Jayne. I realise I've mentioned my ear problem more than once or twice before, therefore I all the more appreciate your sympathy.

As it happens, I've been working my way (although it is most joyful 'work' to be sure) through Haydn's complete keyboard sonatas played by Schornsheim for a few weeks now, 14 disks and I'm on number 9. Yes, my ear condition is not suited to various very subtle and rarefied modern/contemporary music where I'd lose much of the orchestral subtleties; although, paradoxically, listening to 'Pharaoh's Dance' the other day, I was noticing bits of detail that had escaped me when my ears are not blocked.

I treat it with eardrops. In the past I've found Earol the most effective possibly since it's a spray - all the various eardrops are olive oil based, I think. It is quite bad this time, though. Hopefully it'll have cleared up in a month's time, when I'm going to see The Mask of Orpheus.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Many thanks, Jayne. I realise I've mentioned my ear problem more than once or twice before, therefore I all the more appreciate your sympathy.

As it happens, I've been working my way (although it is most joyful 'work' to be sure) through Haydn's complete keyboard sonatas played by Schornsheim for a few weeks now, 14 disks and I'm on number 9. Yes, my ear condition is not suited to various very subtle and rarefied modern/contemporary music where I'd lose much of the orchestral subtleties; although, paradoxically, listening to 'Pharaoh's Dance' the other day, I was noticing bits of detail that had escaped me when my ears are not blocked.

I treat it with eardrops. In the past I've found Earol the most effective possibly since it's a spray - all the various eardrops are olive oil based, I think. It is quite bad this time, though. Hopefully it'll have cleared up in a month's time, when I'm going to see The Mask of Orpheus.
                      I have this as well,Otex is very good. Back on topic.....
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Mahler
                        Symphony No. 1
                        Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks / Mariss Jansons
                        Recorded Live March 2007 Herkulessaal, Munich
                        BR Klassik - new release - first time available singly.

Vivaldi - Pietà - Sacred works - Philippe Jaroussky
                        Clara stella e scintillate, RV 625
                        Salve Regina in G Minor, RV 618
                        Filliae maestae Jerusalem, RV 638
                        Concerto in C minor for strings and continuo, RV 120
                        Gloria in D Major, RV 589
                        Longe mala, umbrae, terrores, RV 629
                        Salve Regina in G Minor, RV 618
                        Ensemble Artaserse / Philippe Jaroussky (director, countertenor)
                        Recorded 2014, Paroisse Notre-Dame du Liban, Paris
                        Erato

Comment

• sgjames

David Bedford - Star's End
                          Oldfield, Cutler, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Handley
                          Virgin Records, 1997 (CD).

45 years after the original release on the Virgin label, this complex and atmospheric piece stands up very well.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Morton Feldman: Triadic Memories (Phillip Thomas) from the new 5 CD set being sent out today. Those who have ordered the set got to down load a FLAC of the c. 90 minute recording of Triadic Memories, since it has to be split over 2 CDs in the disc set.

Comment

• Boilk
                              • Dec 2010

I had a progressively worsening blocked ear for many months with only marginal/temporary improvement using olive oil and then ear drops. And I was getting very impatient. Mercifully I found a clinic in London (Hearology) that does microsuction - a mini vacuum cleaner. What goes on is all magnified on a big screen as it happens. I went along and their tiny little sucker sucked out everything in under 2 minutes - amazing! Immediate crystal-clear hearing, with all the treble restored! They also tacked on a free hearing test. I'm not plugging one company, only the safe, rapid technique of microsuction, which many (including myself until 3 months ago) haven't heard of.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                                I had a progressively worsening blocked ear for many months with only marginal/temporary improvement using olive oil and then ear drops. And I was getting very impatient. Mercifully I found a clinic in London (Hearology) that does microsuction - a mini vacuum cleaner. What goes on is all magnified on a big screen as it happens. I went along and their tiny little sucker sucked out everything in under 2 minutes - amazing! Immediate crystal-clear hearing, with all the treble restored! They also tacked on a free hearing test. I'm not plugging one company, only the safe, rapid technique of microsuction, which many (including myself until 3 months ago) haven't heard of.
                                I've heard of microsuction, our local hospital does it. I'm seeing the doctor soon, so hopefully they'll be able to arrange something, because I suspect or feel that the wax is quite impacted...

Comment

Working...
                                X