• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
    Thanks Jane. And yet I love The Rite as much as I dislike Nielsen 4!
    Now that be rather good programming, imo.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
      Now that be rather good programming, imo.
      Maybe starting with a lull before the storm work such RVW Tallis Fantasia!

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Maybe starting with a lull before the storm work such RVW Tallis Fantasia!
        Indeed.

Following on from a kind of Wagner inspired epics, from yesterday, Mahler’s Das Klagende Liec, today I’m playing this:-

Sibelius - Kullervo
        London Symphony Orchestra
        Sir Colin Davis.

This is his 2003 recording.
        Last edited by BBMmk2; 27-07-19, 12:39.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• peterthekeys
          • Aug 2014

Really not sure. Think it must be a Prom, although the thought appals me. Someone who can't sing caterwauling something which I'd probably describe as New Age (if I classed it as anything other than self-indulgent garbage).

Yes, it's a Prom (Battersea Arts Centre.) I despair.
          Last edited by peterthekeys; 27-07-19, 16:40.

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Haydn: Symphony no. 45 ("Farewell"). Pinnock, The English Concert

Joseph Haydn: Symphony no. 45 in F-sharp minor, Hob. I:45. Played on period instruments by The English Concert, conducted by Trevor Pinnock. 1. Allegro assai...

Comment

• visualnickmos
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

....well, it's the Leipzig Gewandhaus playing at their virtuosic, open-textured best. No emotional excess at all; just the music, in Mahler’s remarkably subtle, insightful arrangement played with terrific power, accuracy and verve.

So as long as you can take Schumann with a certain degree of sonic intensity, you can’t lose.
              Hi Jayne,
              Thank you - I do like your style... in fact, I have decided to 'go for' this set as a supplement to my Schumann symphony sets. Schumann with extra sonic intensity sounds good to me!
              As for Mahler's Beethoven - well, I don't think that is for me. But nevertheless, the notion is intrigueing for the - how can I say - followers of such curiosities!
              I'd better take cover!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Schubert. Symphonies 5 & 8

Concertgebouworkest, Amsterdam conducted by Leonard Bernstein. DG. 1989.

This is a lovely recording of these wonderful scores. Bernstein got the reputation of getting very slow in his last recordings for the Yellow Label but there's nothing stodgy or indulgent about this recording.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Franz Schmidt: Notre Dame, Gwyneth Jones, James King, Kurt Moll etc/Berlin RSO/Christof Perick

All the principal singers in this 1989 recording were past their prime, and it would be good to hear a recording with singers a little less "strained" than here (and with a better conductor) - some hope! An intriguing work with many superb passages, for all its flaws, I'm very grateful to have this recording. Something of an "abrupt" ending - it sounds like an Act Two ending in a 3-Act opera!

Haydn: Symphony #35; L'Estro Armonico/Derek Solomons.

Lovely "tang" to the instrumental flavours in this recording ; and - glory be! - every repeat marvellously observed.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Brahms. Piano Works. Op.118, Op.119, Op.79 & Op.117

Francçois Chaplin, piano.

A disc that received a very good review in the most recent Gramophone. I'm not sure it quite replaces my beloved Kovecevich on Philips but it's pretty impressive.

(Charlie Chaplin 'borrowed' themes from the Op.118 No.5 'Romanze' in F for the conclusion of the 1942 re-issue of his film 'The Gold Rush').
                    Last edited by pastoralguy; 27-07-19, 21:58.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Schubert. Symphonies 5 & 8

Concertgebouworkest, Amsterdam conducted by Leonard Bernstein. DG. 1989.

This is a lovely recording of these wonderful scores. Bernstein got the reputation of getting very slow in his last recordings for the Yellow Label but there's nothing stodgy or indulgent about this recording.
                      Isn’t Schubert 5 the sunniest of all symphonies - I always play it on my birthday!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

Isn’t Schubert 5 the sunniest of all symphonies - I always play it on my birthday!
                        A lovely work! I can remember hearing it for the first time circa 1978 when it was played on a late nite BBC 2 Scotland programme by the BBCSSO under, iirc, Christopher Seaman. The following week was the 'Unfinished' Symphony!

Happy Days.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

I always play it on my birthday!
                          I don't really have a 'birthday work' but I always watch 'The Long Good Friday' on... Good Friday!

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

A lovely work! I can remember hearing it for the first time circa 1978 when it was played on a late nite BBC 2 Scotland programme by the BBCSSO under, iirc, Christopher Seaman. The following week was the 'Unfinished' Symphony!

Happy Days.
                            Yes, one of the disadvantages of ageing is that thrill of hearing something for the first time and being pleasantly wowed are fewer!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Yes, one of the disadvantages of ageing is that thrill of hearing something for the first time and being pleasantly wowed are fewer!
                              God knows, Cloughie, I try! But I don't find myself moved by the 'unknown' music I experience. It's incredible that, as a teenager, I was experiencing masterpieces unknown to me on a daily basis!

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

God knows, Cloughie, I try! But I don't find myself moved by the 'unknown' music I experience. It's incredible that, as a teenager, I was experiencing masterpieces unknown to me on a daily basis!
                                Those were the days my friend! And the thirst for more was unassuageable.

Comment

Working...
                                X