X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    I too have always thought the Schubert 2 gets little credit for the exhilarating piece it is.

Sadly I never got on with that version of Mahler 10 at all.
    Ever heard Schubert 2 live, Alison ? I can’t recall having seen it programmed very often. Would love to hear it in concert.

Re the Mahler, I bought it sort of in error, not really knowing my stuff . actually haven’t given it a really good listen, so might try it again later.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Ever heard Schubert 2 live, Alison ? I can’t recall having seen it programmed very often. Would love to hear it in concert.

Re the Mahler, I bought it sort of in error, not really knowing my stuff . actually haven’t given it a really good listen, so might try it again later.
      Quite frankly, I think you might find something more rewarding to listen to. If you could get hold of Mazzetti's later performing version, that might, I think, be worth the time and effort:

I got the Slatkin when it was first released and have regretted it ever since.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Where Clara found time to compose beats me, what with being a busy pianist, nurturing lots of children and being muse to her husband and Brahms!
        She didn't do very much composition after the birth of her first child - just ten works, with, I think, only the Piano Trio having the sort of large-scale Sonata-principle type of composition. Half of her compositions (just 23 opus numbers) pre-date her marriage - with that Piano Concerto written when she was just 14 - and her editorial work dates from after even the youngest of her surviving children was seventeen.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Mozart: Symphony No 39

[interval]

Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde
          Yvonne Minton (mezzo-soprano), Rene Kollo (tenor)

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
          Sir Georg Solti

This is a wonderful Das Lied, unjustly underrated, I feel, with Solti drawing sounds of great refinement and beauty from the CSO. Power when needed, otherwise Solti gets an almost bone china fragility of tone from his players. Minton is also underrated, here as outstanding as Baker and Ferrier. Kollo is fine in the tenor songs, a role he recorded three times (I think). Superb Decca engineering.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Quite frankly, I think you might find something more rewarding to listen to. If you could get hold of Mazzetti's later performing version, that might, I think, be worth the time and effort:

I got the Slatkin when it was first released and have regretted it ever since.
            Cost me a fiver, got to give it two listens......

Or I might just listen to all of my CDs Of Weberns six Orchestral pieces, and suggest a summer BaL on it.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Mahler
              Symphony No. 7
              Düsseldorfer Symphoniker / Ádám Fischer
              Recorded Live 2015 Tonhalle, Düsseldorf
              CAvi-music

‘Neil Shicoff - Live’
              Opera arias: Verdi, Tchaikovsky, Massenet, Gounod, Bizet, Halévy, Puccini

Neil Shicoff (tenor)
              Münchner Rundfunkorchester Fabio Luisi / Marcello Viotti / Frédéric Chaslin /
              with baritone Vladimir Chernov (Bizet)
              Recorded Live 1996 Bad Kissingen, Regentenbau, Bavaria;
              1999 Philharmonie, Munich; 2001 Prinzregententheater, Munich
              Orfeo

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Brahms: Piano Concerto No 2 in B flat major, Op. 83/Wagner: Prelude and Liebestod from 'Tristan und Isolde'/Sibelius: En Saga Op.9 & Violin Concerto in D minor Op.47

Edwin Fischer (Piano)/Georg Kulenkampff (Violin)/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra/Wilhelm Furtwängler (SACD remasterings from the Wilhelm Furtwängler: The Radio Recordings 1939-45 box)

Approached as historical documents, recorded in early November 1942 and February 1943, by which time Stalingrad had been lost by the Germans, these performances have a particular resonance, which it's hard to put into a few words. If the Fischer is the same performance as on a Unicorn LP from 1969, I last heard it a long time ago but still greatly admire it, fluffed notes (from pianist and orchestra) and all. The slow movement is, well, aah..... Anyway, it's all PG's fault for enthusing about it (and a glass too many of rosé when subsisting on grass and dust for a month didn't seem too awful) but the SACD remastering (excellent), documentation and packaging make it well worth the investment - and not only for WF aficianados, who will know these performances anyway (but not in such good sound - I completely forgot that the Sibelius VC dated from 1943).

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  Mozart: Symphony No 39

[interval]

Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde
                  Yvonne Minton (mezzo-soprano), Rene Kollo (tenor)

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
                  Sir Georg Solti

This is a wonderful Das Lied, unjustly underrated, I feel, with Solti drawing sounds of great refinement and beauty from the CSO. Power when needed, otherwise Solti gets an almost bone china fragility of tone from his players. Minton is also underrated, here as outstanding as Baker and Ferrier. Kollo is fine in the tenor songs, a role he recorded three times (I think). Superb Decca engineering.
                  Thanks Pet, I feel the urge to extract these performances from the Solti box.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Walter Piston, Fourth Symphony, Gerard Schwarz/Seattle SO.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      Brahms: Piano Concerto No 2 in B flat major, Op. 83/Wagner: Prelude and Liebestod from 'Tristan und Isolde'/Sibelius: En Saga Op.9 & Violin Concerto in D minor Op.47

Edwin Fischer (Piano)/Georg Kulenkampff (Violin)/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra/Wilhelm Furtwängler (SACD remasterings from the Wilhelm Furtwängler: The Radio Recordings 1939-45 box)

Approached as historical documents, recorded in early November 1942 and February 1943, by which time Stalingrad had been lost by the Germans, these performances have a particular resonance, which it's hard to put into a few words. If the Fischer is the same performance as on a Unicorn LP from 1969, I last heard it a long time ago but still greatly admire it, fluffed notes (from pianist and orchestra) and all. The slow movement is, well, aah..... Anyway, it's all PG's fault for enthusing about it (and a glass too many of rosé when subsisting on grass and dust for a month didn't seem too awful) but the SACD remastering (excellent), documentation and packaging make it well worth the investment - and not only for WF aficianados, who will know these performances anyway (but not in such good sound - I completely forgot that the Sibelius VC dated from 1943).
                      I have all of these recordings as earlier incarnations issued by Music &Arts in the 1990s. Are the SACD remasters really an improvement over the earlier issues?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Howells
                        String Quartet No. 3, ‘In Gloucestershire’
                        Lady Audrey’s Suite, Op. 19
                        Dante Quartet
                        Piano Quartet in A minor, Op. 21
                        Gould Piano Trio & David Adams (viola)
                        Recorded 2017 Wyastone Concert Hall, Monmouth
                        Naxos

Howells
                        ‘Sacred Choral Music’
                        Magnificat & Nunc dimittis (St Paul's, 1951)
                        Like as the Hart
                        Requiem
                        Long, Long Ago
                        Office of Holy Communion
                        Take him, earth, for cherishing
                        Paean for Organ
                        Rhapsody for Organ No. 3, Op. 17/3
                        Iain Farrington (organ)
                        Choir of St. John’s College Cambridge / Christopher Robinson
                        Recorded 1999 Chapel of St. John’s College, Cambridge
                        Naxos, ‘English Choral Music’ series

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                          I have all of these recordings as earlier incarnations issued by Music &Arts in the 1990s. Are the SACD remasters really an improvement over the earlier issues?
                          Richard - having never heard the M&A issues, I can't answer your question. I have a few of the DG issues from the 1990s but they are in Scotland - and the SACDs are here in France. From aural memory (which is certainly fallible), the new issues are significantly better sounding than those issues. As PG said in his earlier posts about this set, it has been lovingly produced, including modifying a studio tape recorder to ensure that the tapes (width, speed etc) have been faithfully reproduced. When the box was first discussed on the forum (it was reviewed on CD Review), I said that, although it was clearly interesting, I doubted that I would ever listen to the performances if I bought it. Now that I have it, I find that I'm hooked on listening to what's in it. Ordering the contents chronologically and by concert works very well - and, as Peter Quantrill says in this review from 'The Gramophone' also - tantalisingly - sets out what is missing. See: https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/...ings-1939-1945

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Nikolai Korndorf: Hymn I 'Sempre Tutti' od 1987 (BBC SO, Alexander Lazarev). All I have is a 128kbps mp3 derived from an FM broadcast (this downloaded from a now-defunct Canadian website). If anyone here has a recording of higher audio quality, please let me know. I did record it from Radio 3 at the time of its initial broadcast but that cassette has gone missing.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Richter - Mozart piano sonatas

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Mozart. Piano Quartet. No.1 in g minor K.478

Skride Piano Quartet.

I was looking for a reason to buy this and my current obsession with the Mozart Piano Quartets is the perfect excuse!

Absolutely gorgeous playing!

Comment

Working...
                                X