X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

I wiil have to have words with RW. Why is it on a distortion-ridden carrier like pressed vinyl?

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

A few weeks ago Robin Holloway's second concerto for orchestra was mentioned. I thought I'd give it a spin, for the first time in years, to see what I make of it now...

I still think it's pretty good. I think it has something of the Messiaen about it, parts of it are decidedly surreal. There are certain aspects I'm not so keen on e.g. some of the harmonies smack of an unappealing corny nostalgia... sometimes he gets away with it...

… and film music is there for sure...

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        I wiil have to have words with RW. Why is it on a distortion-ridden carrier like pressed vinyl?

I'm surprised it's not on 1/4" at 15ips

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
          A few weeks ago Robin Holloway's second concerto for orchestra was mentioned. I thought I'd give it a spin, for the first time in years, to see what I make of it now...

I still think it's pretty good. I think it has something of the Messiaen about it, parts of it are decidedly surreal. There are certain aspects I'm not so keen on e.g. some of the harmonies smack of an unappealing corny nostalgia... sometimes he gets away with it...

… and film music is there for sure...
          I think that might have been me. I do think that it's a very fine work. I can't say that I'd particularly noticed anthing Messiaenic about it, although it's now quite a while since last I heard it. Do you have the wonderful performance conducted by the late and much missed Olly Knussen?

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            I think that might have been me. I do think that it's a very fine work. I can't say that I'd particularly noticed anthing Messiaenic about it, although it's now quite a while since last I heard it. Do you have the wonderful performance conducted by the late and much missed Olly Knussen?
            Even if Joseph doesn't (is there another recording?) I do, as well as the Third, also on NMC, but this time with MTT conducting the LSO.
            Just dug them out for a spin later.
            Any thoughts on the third, ah?

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Yes, that's the recording I have.

I guess you could say it's superficially Messiaenic - some of the chords, often triadic, but seen through a prism or context of post-tonality. Again for some reason Star Wars music was there....

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                Even if Joseph doesn't (is there another recording?) I do, as well as the Third, also on NMC, but this time with MTT conducting the LSO.
                I also have the third. It's not quite as good as the second... I think certain aspects of his musical thinking are a bit unthinkingly traditional, and that, while the orchestration often is very dense with many parts, and quite colourful, the ideas themselves are left wanting...

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  I must confess that I've only heard it once - and a long time ago now; it's impressive (as indeed all five are, to me), not least because of its unfailing orchestral mastery but, to me, it's eclipsed somewhat by its immediate predecessor.

Comment

• Jonathan
                    • Mar 2007

Is that on the original Altarus release?
                    Hi Alistair, no, actually it's his remake on Music and Arts. I do have the Altarus one as well though!
                    Best regards,
                    Jonathan

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Holloway
                      Second concerto for orchestra (BBCSO/Knussen)
                      Third concerto for orchestra (LSO/MTT)

In slight contrast to both Joseph and ahinton, I think I found the third more appealing, but I shall listen to both again soon.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Richard Strauss
                        Der Rosenkavalier Suite, Op.59
                        Ein Heldenleben, Op.40
                        CBSO, Andris Nelsons.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Master Jacques
                          • Feb 2012

César Franck
                          Psyché
                          Czech Philharmonic Chorus and Orchestra, c. Jean Fournet
                          (from 3-CD album Jean Fournet in Prague, Supraphon SU 4122-2)

[This is one of my favourite current boxes: sumptuous, yet lithe and never over-heavy performances of five Franck symphonic works - not the Symphony though, which the Czech PO did with Barbirolli instead - plus four similarly virtuous Debussy readings. In case you don't know it, Psyché is a neglected 45' tone poem of intense beauty, and this performance has everything you'd want, with the chorus most naturally integrated. The recordings date from the mid-1960s and sound great.]

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Can't think of what to listen to, so today it's been Beethoven string quartets again, op. 59 nos. 1 and (currently) 2, Alban Berg Quartett.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Last night:
                              Tippett: String quartets 1–3
                              Lindsay Quartet (Decca incarnation)

This morning (just started):
                              Janacek: The excursions of Mr Brouček
                              Prague forces/Neumann

Comment

Working...