X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

‘Mirages’ - Sabine Devieilhe
    Arias from Messager, Debussy, Delibes, Delage, Stravibsky, Thomas, Berlioz, Massenet, Koechlin

Sabine Devieilhe (soprano)
    Les Siècles/François-Xavier Roth
    with Marianne Crebassa (mezzo-soprano), Jodie Devos (soprano) & Alexandre Tharaud (piano)
    Recorded 2017 Les salles de répétition de la Philharmonie de Paris
    Erato

Godard
    Piano Concerto No. 1
    Introduction et Allegro pour piano et orchestre
    Symphonie Orientale pour orchestra
    Royal Scottish National Orchestra / Martin Yates
    Recorded 2011 RSNO Centre, Henry Wood Hall, Glasgow
    Dutton Epoch

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Beethoven. Symphony 6. Pastoral

Die Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Herbert von Karajan. (From the 1960's set.)

I know this has always been seen as the weak link in this famous cycle but I'm quite enjoying it. The critic in the contemporary Gramophone wasn't that keen saying that the first movement didn't really reflect happy feelings on arrival in the country but I feel that the exhilaration Karajan brings reminds me of arriving in a big city! Not really what Beethoven had in mind but each to their own.

Comment

• visualnickmos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Beethoven. Symphony 6. Pastoral

Die Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Herbert von Karajan. (From the 1960's set.)

I know this has always been seen as the weak link in this famous cycle but I'm quite enjoying it. The critic in the contemporary Gramophone wasn't that keen saying that the first movement didn't really reflect happy feelings on arrival in the country but I feel that the exhilaration Karajan brings reminds me of arriving in a big city! Not really what Beethoven had in mind but each to their own.
        So I'm not the only who enjoy this recording! I like your "...that the exhilaration Karajan brings reminds me of arriving in a big city!" Very well-thought of. I rather like the 9th in this set, in the final analysis, the whole set has many good things to savour.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
          So I'm not the only who enjoy this recording! I like your "...that the exhilaration Karajan brings reminds me of arriving in a big city!" Very well-thought of. I rather like the 9th in this set, in the final analysis, the whole set has many good things to savour.
          Thank you!

I'm listening to this early 1960's cycle from my 'Karajan 1960's' box set on DG. I have to say, the sound has really come up well. Whilst these discs are described as being 're-mastered', I do wonder if that's a euphemism for 'we've taken the Maestro's tampering with knobs' out!

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Richard Strauss
            Ein Heldenlaben
            Ansel Brusilow (violin)
            Philadelphia Orchestra / Eugene Ormandy
            Recorded 1960 Manhattan Center, New York City
            Don Juan
            Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche
            Cleveland Orchestra / George Szell
            Recorded 1957 Masonic Temple, Cleveland, Ohio
            Sony Classical
            Revisiting this Ormandy recording set after some time, although the performance is excellent the sound quality is disappointing.

‘Horowitz in Moscow’
            Scarlatti, Mozart, Rachmaninov, Scriabin, Schubert trans. Chopin, Liszt, Schumann, Schubert, Liszt, Moszkowski

Vladimir Horowitz (piano)
            Recorded Live April 1986 Great Hall, Moscow Conservatory
            Deutsche Grammophon

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Mozart. Horn Concertos.

Herd Seifert, horn. The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Herbert Von Karajan. I'm working my way through my 'Karajan 1960's' box set. Maybe not what were used to today but still fabulous playing and conducting. (I'm sure Herr Von Karajan would want me to say that...)

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

A three CD set of John Barry's film themes that I picked up in a charity shop today for £1.60.

Most of it is marvellous. I've always loved his 'Spectre March' from You Only Live Twice.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                  Thank you!

I'm listening to this early 1960's cycle from my 'Karajan 1960's' box set on DG. I have to say, the sound has really come up well. Whilst these discs are described as being 're-mastered', I do wonder if that's a euphemism for 'we've taken the Maestro's tampering with knobs' out!
                  I do wonder, when listening to the Karajan boxes, if the engineers made two recordings: one with the Maestro's twiddlings and the other without. The first one was issued while the second waited until after Karajan's death and were further re-mastered for issue in these boxes. They sound superb.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Beethoven op. 59 no. 1, Tokyo String Quartet.

Comment

• Boilk
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                      A three CD set of John Barry's film themes that I picked up in a charity shop today for £1.60.

Most of it is marvellous. I've always loved his 'Spectre March' from You Only Live Twice.
                      'Spectre March'...or the march-like Capsule in Space music? IMO that's one of Barry's most inspired moments.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Howells - Songs
                        58 Songs
                        Lynne Dawson (soprano), Catherine Pierard (soprano), John Mark Ainsley (tenor), Benjamin Luxon (baritone), Julius Drake (piano)
                        Recorded 1992 St Jude on the Hill, Hampstead, London
                        Chandos - excellent works marvellously sung

York Bowen
                        Quintet in C major for horn and string quartet, Op. 85
                        Rhapsody Trio in A minor for violin, cello and piano Op. 80
                        Trio in Three Movements Op. 118
                        Endymion Ensemble
                        Recorded 2001 All Saints Church, East Finchley, London
                        Dutton Epoch

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

Metamorphosis for Strings

Mozart. Adagio and Fugue.

Beethoven. Grosse Fugue, op.133

Richard Strauss. Metamorphosis for Strings.

The Strings of The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Herbert Von Karajan.

DG.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

​Mahler Symphony No.10. arr./compl for chamber orchestra by Michelle Castelletti.
                            Lapland CO/John Storgårds. BIS 24/96 New Release via Qobuz Studio.

Well this is marvellous, revelatory.... hope to post a dedicated New Release thread on it soon....
                            I've been devoted to the Cooke performing version previously... this has made me wonder, is it time to seek further...)

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Beethoven. Piano Concerto No.1

Christoph Eschenbach, piano.

Herbert Von Karajan conducting The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra.

DG . 1968

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Pierre Boulez. cumming it's der dichter, 2nd version. 1986. Livre pour cordes. Rituel in memoriam Bruno Maderna.

This is Disc 7 of Deutsche Grammophon's COMPLETE WORKS OF PIERRE BOULEZ.

Very unpredictable music. The problem is, for me, is that if one lets the disc play then the works just run into one another, although the tracks between the works are so short I wonder if that's what the recording company wants.

Comment

Working...
                                X