X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 1 - Mary Verney (1798 Broadwood), Hanover Band.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Martinu: Toccata e due canzoni
      Stravinsky: Concerto in D
      Honegger: Symphony 4 (Deliciae basiliensis)

Kammerorchesterbasel/Hogwood

Nothing like as dull as the review that I found after I had ordered this CD thought it, so I'm happy to have it as an interesting record of first performances (21 January 1947), but I'm still very grateful to jlw for steering me towards Luisi for the Honegger.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        Martinu: Toccata e due canzoni
        Stravinsky: Concerto in D
        Honegger: Symphony 4 (Deliciae basiliensis)

Kammerorchesterbasel/Hogwood

Nothing like as dull as the review that I found after I had ordered this CD thought it, so I'm happy to have it as an interesting record of first performances (21 January 1947), but I'm still very grateful to jlw for steering me towards Luisi for the Honegger.
        What a shame if you never heard Munch in his classic Honegger 4th (Erato, Apex etc...) or in the 2nd and 5th with the Boston SO. He is the doyen of recorded Honegger Symphonies for me (though beware the much less recommendable live Naive issues - worth a listen, but...).

Munch's later O. de Paris stereo 2nd (much slower & gloomier) is pretty good too, as on the EMI GROC... but Boston is the classic account for idiomatic intensity. Their 5th simply pins you to the chair... (especially in the Japanese RCA transfer)....

This one but shop around etc...the stunning Roussel leaves shockwaves in its trail....(haven't checked Qobuz yet...)

One of my all-time favourite CDs....
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 22-03-19, 16:51.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          What a shame if you never heard Munch in his classic Honegger 4th (Erato, Apex etc...) or in the 2nd and 5th with the Boston SO. He is the doyen of recorded Honegger Symphonies for me (though beware the much less recommendable live Naive issues - worth a listen, but...).

Munch's later O. de Paris stereo 2nd (much slower & gloomier) is pretty good too, as on the EMI GROC... but Boston is the classic account for idiomatic intensity. Their 5th simply pins you to the chair... (especially in the Japanese RCA transfer)....
          I have very little Munch in my collection, but on a 2CD set that I do have is his BSO Martinu 6, from 1956, which I think you may have mentioned.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            I have very little Munch in my collection, but on a 2CD set that I do have is his BSO Martinu 6, from 1956, which I think you may have mentioned.
            Gosh yes, a true age-defying classic again which I also have on the Japanese Edition...
            A fair bit of Munch's Honegger on Qobuz for adventurous souls to sort through, but I can vouch for this one (terrific c/w!)...
            Listen to unlimited or download Dutilleux: Symphony No. 2, "Le double", Métaboles - Honegger: Symphony No. 4, "Deliciae Basiliensis" by Charles Munch in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Brahms
              Piano Concerto No.1 in D Minor. Hardy Rittner (Erard 1854) /L'arte del Mondo/Ehrhardt. MDGCD 2011.

​Extraordinary live performance, rare-Brahms-HIPPS with period instruments, will post a longer/dedicated post/thread soon...
              Absolutely as radical/essential as the recent Brahms Violin Sonatas from Schayegh/Schultsz (Glossa).

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                Brahms
                Piano Concerto No.1 in D Minor. Hardy Rittner (Erard 1854) /L'arte del Mondo/Ehrhardt. MDGCD 2011.

​Extraordinary live performance, rare-Brahms-HIPPS with period instruments, will post a longer/dedicated post/thread soon...
                Absolutely as radical/essential as the recent Brahms Violin Sonatas from Schayegh/Schultsz (Glossa).
                I expect there’s quite a difference with this HIPPS recording, compared to say modern symphony orchestras?

Holst’s: Transcriptions and Original Works
                A Moorside Suite: III March; The Perfect Fool: Dance of the Spirits of Fire
                First Suite in Eb, Op.28/1; Suite No.2 in F, Op.28/2, fir military band
                Christmas Day; Hammersmith, Op.52; Brook Green Suite;
                The Planets Suite.
                US Air Force Bands and Groups.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Beethoven's piano trio op. 1 no. 2.

Tracklist below.Online purchase or streaming (Spotify, iTunes, Amazon Music, Deezer, Google Play): https://brilliant-classics.lnk.to/BeethovenPianoTriosMore ...

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                    Xenakis - DOX-ORKH for violin and orchestra - Arditti/ Moscow Phil/ Nott

Didn't know this piece at all but a great discovery !
                    An excellent recommendation.I’m listening to the same recording . This would make an excellent Proms work, IMO, and a very good introduction to Xenakis I should think.

Good , helpful review here.

Find composition details, parts / movement information and albums that contain performances of Dox-Orkh, for violin & 89 musicians on AllMusic
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Bach: Motet - Jesu, meine Freude BWV 227
                      Vocalconsort Berlin
                      Marcus Creed

[interval]

Shostakovich: Symphony No 7 ('Leningrad')
                      Boston Symphony Orchestra
                      Andris Nelsons
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Schumann
                        Symphonies 2 and 3, Sawallisch, Dresden SO.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          An excellent recommendation.I’m listening to the same recording . This would make an excellent Proms work, IMO, and a very good introduction to Xenakis I should think.

Good , helpful review here.
                          That review is by Jim Harley who has also written a quite approachable book on Xenakis's music which contains a section on every single work - very valuable indeed.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                            That review is by Jim Harley who has also written a quite approachable book on Xenakis's music which contains a section on every single work - very valuable indeed.
                            Ah, thanks for that Richard. I don’t know much Xenakis, so the book and some listening will be a good way to go.

It may have to go on top of my pile of Xmas books and stuff from work I am skimming............

Edit. Blimey, it’s free on Kindle.what a bargain !
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pianoman
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                              Thanks- I still refer to a book by Matossian but this looks like a better bet.

Comment

• Pianoman
                                • Jan 2013

Now listening to Stravinsky: Persephone; Tokyo PO/ Lazarev

Lovely music and one of those silly-cheap bargains on Qobuz - a whole £2.16 (!!) for a recent digital release from Exton, great sound quality and very passable performance

Listen to Various Artists in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

Comment

Working...
                                X