X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Reasonable so, £47.72 (including p&p) from amazon.it. I think it has gone up a little in the interim.

... many thanks. I suspected the best choice wd be amazon.it. It'll now work out at nearer £53. Quite a lot of duplication for me, but I don't think i'll be able to resist...

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... many thanks. I suspected the best choice wd be amazon.it. It'll now work out at nearer £53. Quite a lot of duplication for me, but I don't think i'll be able to resist...

A minor source of ennui is that there is a lack of content metadata on the discs. All you get is track numbers. I would have hoped that ths far into the 21st Century they might make a proper job if it. There is a fair bit of duplication for me too, but fortunately I don't have that many Warner/EMI Berlioz recordings. Most of mine come from what is now the Universal stable, or LSO 'live'. [That said, a good many of the recordings in the new Warner box are licenced from Universal/DECCA/DG, though not ones I already have, in general.]
      Last edited by Bryn; 07-02-19, 16:39. Reason: Update.

Comment

• frankbridge
        • Sep 2018

Jonathan Harvey: Bhakti

Spectrum/Guy Protheroe

NMC D001

I'm a great fan of his music, and of course I was at the Proms in 1986 for the world premiere of his wonderful 'Madonna of Winter and Spring', coupled with Messaien 'Poeme pour Mi' and the first London performance of Harry Birtwistle 'Earth Dances'. Quite a concert!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Francoise Couperin Les Nations.
          Les Talens Lyriques, Christophe Rousset.

A lovely collection here. Glad I have this.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Beethoven
            Piano concertos nos. 1 & 2
            Krystian Zimerman, Wiener Philharmoniker/Leonard Bernstein

DG rec. 1991

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
              Francoise Couperin
              Are you sure?

NP: Schubert, Sonata in B flat D960 played by András Schiff. Currently my favourite recorded performance of this sonata I think.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5 (Ronald Brautigam, NSO, Andrew Parrott). They opt for a sort of half-way house regarding the tempo for the 'slow' movement, at 6'19", as against van Barthold's 4'24", Tan's 5'47" and Lubin's 7'38". Gould and Stockie take a little over 9 minutes and are by no means the worst, in that respect.

Comment

• ChrisBennell
                  • Sep 2014

Mendelssohn - Concerto for Piano and Violin - I've never come across this before - very interesting and enjoyable.

On LSO Live - Youtube channel - live concert with LSO - John Eliot Gardiner - with Isobel Faust and Kristian Bezuidenhout. Concert also includes Schumann Symphony No3 (which the LSO will play standing up!)

This channel is a great resource for anyone who has not encountered it. Sound is pretty good too.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

NP (Qobuz): Brahms, Violin Sonatas, played by Leila Schayegh and Jan Schultsz (on Glossa). Not one for HIPP-haters who will probably find it utterly repellent. As for me I'm hearing these pieces come alive for the first time. Jayne, Bryn - get on it!!!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                      NP (Qobuz): Brahms, Violin Sonatas, played by Leila Schayegh and Jan Schultsz (on Glossa). Not one for HIPP-haters who will probably find it utterly repellent. As for me I'm hearing these pieces come alive for the first time. Jayne, Bryn - get on it!!!
                      Wow, yes!
                      Just begun listening to this..... Wonderful recommendation Richard... Schayegh has such delicacy and range....her sheer freedom of expression, so-natural rubato and extensive portamento reminds me very much of Ironwood's remarkable ABC album of Op.34 c/w Op.25.
                      Listen to Ironwood in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

Unusually compelling pianism from Schultsz (1879 Streicher, similar to Brahms' own), very fluid, mellow and coloristic - nothing much of the stuffy drawing room about this one!
                      Listen to unlimited or download Brahms : Violin Sonatas by Leila Schayegh in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Look what you made me do......
                      ​I need this music in my life, in the bedroom, in the kitchen....so I Swiftly ordered the CD...(which cost me...£7! There was a long-forgotten Amazon credit lying in wait......yeah!
                      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 08-02-19, 05:53.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Are you sure?
                        Ah, François Couperin(without the e, on the end. My mistake.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Shostakovich
                          Symphony No. 7 ‘Leningrad’
                          Hallé / Sir Mark Elder
                          Recorded live 2013 Bridgewater Hall, Manchester
                          Hallé own label

Tchaikovsky
                          String Quartet No. 1, Op .11
                          String Quartet No. 2, Op. 22
                          Borodin Quartet
                          Recorded 1993 Teldec Studios, Berlin & Snape Maltings Concert Hall, Suffolk
                          Warner Classics Elatus

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... also available as a CD -

Many thanks for the nudge, Richard!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              Many thanks for the nudge, Richard!
                              Sorry, I should have included you by name in the nudge... a friend mentioned it to me in an email yesterday evening and said I might like to sample one movement in particular, but what I actually did was listen to the whole disc twice.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Sorry, I should have included you by name in the nudge... a friend mentioned it to me in an email yesterday evening and said I might like to sample one movement in particular, but what I actually did was listen to the whole disc twice.
                                I'll add my thanks, too. Just listened via QOBUZ. Very fine indeed, including the collection of overtures.

Comment

Working...
                                X