• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    Good to know. Actually I didn't know Pinnock had recorded these either, but yes the Leonhardt is a bit dull.
    Sorry Richard, just checked (and corrected) - it was Manze of course...still stand by the comments above though, as I've been comparing them all today....

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      CPE Bach
      Symphonies Wq 183 1-4.

Kammerorchester "CPE Bach"/Hartmut Haenchen. Phoenix CDs.
      and...
      Solamente Naturali/Miloš Valent. Brilliant Classics. Qobuz Studio.

Despite the modern instruments, I've always warmed to HH and his band. They serve CPE devotedly well.
      But delighted to discover the Bratislavan Naturali (searching around tonight...!) as there aren't many complete Wq 183s on period instruments, and I find Pinnock and Leonhard dull, stiff and uninspiring.
      The Solamente really bring out the warmth and the fun of this wonderful music (which I often begin, and end, my day with).
      And ​I just found a 2ndhand CD for under a fiver delivered!

Nielsen Symphony No.5. Odense SO/Serov. KONTRAPUNKT CD.
      Remarkable, unusual 5th, way off-the-beaten, but showing in its bigboned fullness, subtlety and warmth, how much more to this music there is than the usually played-out extremes. (Not that drums or brass hold back - anything but!!) More on the Nielsen thread soon I hope.
      Is the conductor for the Brilliant Classics Wq 183 1-4 not Didier Talpain, and Valent the leader/concert master?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Is the conductor for the Brilliant Classics Wq 183 1-4 not Didier Talpain, and Valent the leader/concert master?
        It does appear to be so from the CD cover/inlay, yes, thanks.... (but I'd read off the online notes (which don't include cover or inlay!) that Valent was "Artistic Director", and as he contributes the note on the group he founded, & how he arrived at their name, I transcribed it off that...)

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

... this one, I think :

Also available as part of :

Last edited by vinteuil; 03-02-19, 22:13.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Sorry Richard, just checked (and corrected) - it was Manze of course...still stand by the comments above though, as I've been comparing them all today....
            Right. I wasn't that keen on the Manze recording now that you remind me. But this one by SN is the business. I've just arrived in foreign parts after a long and tiring trip, sat down in my room and powered Qobuz up - even on laptop speakers (and actually those on recent MacBook Pro machines are massively better than any others I've heard) it's clear that this is the recording to have. It's a bit strange that performers who put all the necessary fire into the Wq182 set go all pastel-shady when they do these ones. (Leonhardt conducted four of the Wq182 set with the Collegium Aureum which was the first time I heard those works, and it set off a lifelong enthusiasm for CPE.)

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

It's worth noting that if one prefers to stream the recordings in this 30 CD boxed set, the booklet text is downloadable from the Brilliant Classic site.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Carrying on back with my Bax and Sibelius cycle.

Bax Symphony No.2(1924-26)
                BBC PO, Vernon Handley

Sibelius
                Symphony No.2 in D major, Op.43
                Symphony No.4 in A minor, Op.63
                CBSO, Sakari Oramo.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5 (Melvyn Tan, LCP, Roger Norrington), on headphones as I head by train to a funeral in Axminster.

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5 (Melvyn Tan, LCP, Roger Norrington), on headphones as I head by train to a funeral in Axminster.
                    Best wishes Nethersage.

At least it’s a bit warmer today.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

‘Aimer et mourir – Danses et mélodies’
                      Ravel

Daphnis et Chloé (1909-12) – Suite No. 2 (1913)
                      Valses nobles et sentimentales, suite for orchestra
                      Duparc
                      Mélodies, orchestrated by the composer:
                      L'invitation au voyage
                      Au pays où se fait la guerre
                      Chanson triste
                      Phidylé
                      Aux étoiles, for orchestra
                      Magdalena Kožená (mezzo-soprano),
                      Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin / Robin Ticciati
                      Recorded 2017, Jesus Christus Kirche, Dahlem, Berlin
                      Linn

Saint-Saëns
                      String Quartet No 1 in E minor, Op. 112
                      String Quartet No 2 in G major, Op. 153
                      The Medici String Quartet
                      Recorded 1997 Potton Hall, Dunwich, Suffolk
                      Koch Schwann
                      Last edited by Stanfordian; 04-02-19, 13:36.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        Best wishes Nethersage.

At least it’s a bit warmer today.
                        Thanks Alison,

The funeral is for Robert Coleridge, a musician known, perhaps, to one or two others here. His page on the Music Now site run by Bridged and Laurie Scott-Baker has not been updated as yet. In addition to being a composer, he was also a fine keyboard player. He became closely associated with the organ parts in Cardew's The Great Learning.

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks Alison,

The funeral is for Robert Coleridge, a musician known, perhaps, to one or two others here. His page on the Music Now site run by Bridged and Laurie Scott-Baker has not been updated as yet. In addition to being a composer, he was also a fine keyboard player. He became closely associated with the organ parts in Cardew's The Great Learning.
                          Any details on funeral, including music, would be of interest.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Beethoven. Violin Sonatas.

Igor and Natalia Oistrakh.

I'm listening very nervously since these are CD transcriptions of Lps I bought at great expense before having them transferred at even greater expense! Why nervous? Well, these are old vinyls so, inevitably, there are inherent flaws such as surface noise and 'snap, crackle and pop' but, worst of all are the 'jumps' which have ruined so many listening experiences. (And why I'm so anti vinyl and was one of the earliest embracers of cd.)

Having recently had an Lp of Alan Loveday playing the Beethoven violin concerto transferred only to discover that there was a 'jump' in the soloists first entry I've become quite wary of the whole process. (A friend who knows more about Lps than me chided me for expecting too much from an ancient SAGA vinyl which he advised me were the cheapest of the cheap!)

Since none of these recordings are likely to be released on cd by their original producers soon, I feel I've no choice but to go down this road. (I doubt the Loveday master tapes still exist.)

I can't wait for this listening experience to be over!!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

My condolences. I remember him principally from the latter aspect of his work of course.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Schoenberg - Verkaerte Nacht (version for string orchestra) - NYPO/Boulez

Comment

Working...
                                X