• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    ?
    you can't tell if ur responding to Jayne or Dougie or both or are they the same person!

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
      Mahler: Symphony No 4 in G major

Frederica von Stade (Soprano)/Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra/Claudio Abbado - Universal Japan MQA x UHQCD

Having noted Richard Finegold's positive experience with Mytek DACs and bought one (with a built-in MQA decoder - MQA being Bob Stuart of Meridian's attempt at a high quality format, now available on Tidal), I've acquired a small number of MQA-encoded CDs, including this one. I already have it as a standard CD, in a Korean remastering and as a Japanese SACD (I am a total sucker for snake oil) - does it sound any better? Hmm, jury is out on that one - but it's still a lovely performance. The Mytek, so far, is a very impressive DAC, though.
      Which Mytek did you acquire, HD? I recently acquired that Mahler 4 for the first time, in red book CD. It has displaced my long held favorite, Szell, although Szell III is achingly beautiful.
      Last edited by richardfinegold; 19-01-19, 04:08.

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Through my Night, Soulfood for the Cruellest month...

Beethoven String Quartets Op. 18 Nos 1-3.
        Vegh Quartet rec. 1952 (Haydn Society Recordings). Music & Arts CDs 2001 (lovely restoration of the ​intégrale).

Debussy from Images Books 1&2; Preludes Book 1.
        Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli. rec. Lugano 1968. Aura CD.
        The Michelangeli DG recordings have been very important to me since I first heard them on lp in the seventies. Are these Lugano performances in stereo?

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

I seem to be on a Shostakovich odyssey. Possibly inspired by a dreary Chicago blizzard and reading Anthony Beavor The Battle Of Berlin. Currently I am listening to Solti and the CSO in the Eighth and the last few mornings listening to Yablonsky and his Russian Orchestra in the Leningrad from a Naxos DVD Audio.
          The Yablonsky is well played and spectacular in Surround Sound but I find it somewhat restrained in the big butt kicking climaxes, and restraint in this piece is a dirty word, like the Pope that painted underwear over genitalia in Renascence Art. I much prefer Bernstein/CSO or Kitaenko in Cologne. The Solti is one of his last recordings, as he was embarked on a DSCH cycle at the end of his life. I don’t think it compares with Solti’s recordings of 1/15 or Babi Yar The middle movements tend to sound like he is beating time and the irony is po faced, but the CSO is magnificent

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            The Michelangeli DG recordings have been very important to me since I first heard them on lp in the seventies. Are these Lugano performances in stereo?
            Yes, and pretty good sounding stereo too, if a shade dry.
            I usually find these live Aura tapings even lovelier than the DG studio ones, wonderful though they all are....interpretations - similar, just that extra degree of caught-on-the-wing spontaneity, the colours even more magical and delicate...
            Peering at the (very) small print, I see that these Debussy Images/Preludes actually date from 1987/1977, at Vatican City. The Childrens Corner on the same album are the 1968 Lugano tapings. (Original Post now corrected...).
            There is some applause, restrained and unobtrusive, after each group of pieces.

Michelangeli's famous c/w of the Schubert D537 and Brahms Op. 10 Ballades is just as fabulous in the Aura version (Lugano 1981).....
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 19-01-19, 05:07.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              Which Mytek did you acquire, HD? I recently acquired that Mahler 4 for the first time, in red book CD. It has displaced my long held favorite, Szell, although Szell III is achingly beautiful.
              Brooklyn DAC+ - really pleased. The MQA-encoded CD of the Clara Haskil/Igor Markevitch Mozart PCs is a big improvement on the red book CD; ditto Argenta’s “Espana” with the Decca Kingsway Hall recording of the LSO in the Capriccio Espagnol never before sounding as good. The Mytek also sounds excellent with DSD files.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                you can't tell if ur responding to Jayne or Dougie or both or are they the same person!
                Whoever needs cheering up it will do the trick!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Messiaen: Turangalîla-Symphonie (Loriod sisters, ONdlRTF, Le Roux) from the new Yvonne Loriod Complete Véga Recordings boxed set. A rather better transfer than has previously appeared on CD, but the weaknesses of the original recording (somewhat conjested smimming pool acoustics, etc.) remain.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                    Brooklyn DAC+ - really pleased. The MQA-encoded CD of the Clara Haskil/Igor Markevitch Mozart PCs is a big improvement on the red book CD; ditto Argenta’s “Espana” with the Decca Kingsway Hall recording of the LSO in the Capriccio Espagnol never before sounding as good. The Mytek also sounds excellent with DSD files.
                    I have owned the first generation Manhatten, which doesn’t do MQA or usb, and to upgrade it would cost $1000. I have had Bluesound as a streamer, but it’s been dead in the water sine around XMass, and their customer service has been terrible. Anyway, Bluesound comes with it’s own DAC, which of course is nowhere near as revealing as the Mytek, but as Bluesound was an early MQA adopter I did a free Tidal one month subscription and compared some MQA albums vs Redbook and a few high Resolution downloads vs MQA. I didn’t reach any consistent conclusions. The Espana album that you referenced was a clear winner in MQA and a few others were as well but the High Rez downloads bested the MQA and some of the Redbook did as well.
                    I had the Mytek for about a year when Bryston released their BDA 3 DAC, which has HDMI. I can output the DSD from my large SACD collection directly from my Oppo into the DAC and I thought that I would sell the Mytek when I bought the Bryston but while the Bryston is wonderful I couldn’t bring myself to part with the Mytek until now, because I am buying the Bryston streamer to go with the DAC to replace Bluesound. I’ll miss the Mytek, but MQA just isn’t that important for me

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Wagner - Love-Feast of the Apostles, Siegfried Idyll - NYPO/Boulez

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Whoever needs cheering up it will do the trick!

French music (as so often ) sounds a possible source of something.....but I finally found succour again in this...

Beethoven String Quartet Op.74.
                        Vegh Quartet rec.1952. Music & Arts CDs.
                        ​Perhaps the most profoundly serene of all the cycle, and my very long-time favourite...it has the sort of serenity that doesn't usually grate, upon even the darkest of moods...

...matins....

Debussy Preludes Book 2. Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, DGCD rec.1988.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                          • Nov 2010

Bruckner
                          Symphony no 4 'Romantic'
                          London Symphony Orchestra, Istvan Kertesz

BBC Music: concert recorded in the RFH 13 March 1964

What a marvelous performnce - and some breath-takingly great horn playing: I wonder who that was....?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Well, Barry Tuckwell was Principal Horn (and Chairman) of the LSO from 1962-67, and this concert was from the year before Kertesz took over from Monteux as Principal Conductor, so that's a healthy bet, visnick.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Well, Barry Tuckwell was Principal Horn (and Chairman) of the LSO from 1962-67, and this concert was from the year before Kertesz took over from Monteux as Principal Conductor, so that's a healthy bet, visnick.
                              Many thanks for that gem of info! That would explain that sumptuous and velvet-toned horn sound.

Comment

• jpegasus
                                • May 2017

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                                I usually find these live Aura tapings even lovelier than the DG studio ones, wonderful though they all are....interpretations - similar, just that extra degree of caught-on-the-wing spontaneity, the colours even more magical and delicate...
                                Just to second Jayne's recommendation of those Aura Michelangeli discs, and to add that you can get them in two inexpensive 10 CD boxes, pictures of the backs of which may be found here:

Comment

Working...
                                X