Mendelssohn Op 54

also

Kabalevsky Piano Sonatas 1 to 3

Michael Korstick
    “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Bruckner 9. Berliner Philharmoniker, Eugen Jochum. Nothing wrong with it. The Scherzo is fantastic.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Offenbach Colorature’ – Jodie Devos
        Coloratura soprano arias from Boule de neige, Vert-Vert, Orphée aux Enfers, Un Mari à la porte, Fantasio, Les Bavards, Mesdames de La Halle, Le Roi Carotte, Les Contes d’Hoffmann, Robinson Crusoé, Boule de neige, Le Voyage dans la Lune & Les Bergers overture
        Jodie Devos (soprano)
        Münchner Rundfunkorchester / Laurent Campellone
        with Adèle Charvet (mezzo-soprano)
        Recorded 2018, Studio 1, Bayerischen Rundfunk, Munich
        Alpha Classics - A most enjoyable new album

Franck
        String Quartet in D major
        Chausson
        Chanson perpétuelle, for mezzo-soprano, piano & string quartet
        Quatuor Zaïde
        Karine Deshayes (mezzo-soprano)
        Jonas Vitaud (piano)
        Recorded 2017, Salle de concert Arsenal, Metz, France
        NoMadMusic

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mahlerei View Post
          Hiya Mahlerei, that looks good! Hope you are well.

Claudio Abbado’s recently published Mahler boxset artived yesterday. So I’ll be delvinginto that this week. Although some have been duplicated, but it’s well worth getting to include the later ones,like the Lucerne No.2.

JLW, did you see my post re the Storgards cycle?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            Bruckner 9. Berliner Philharmoniker, Eugen Jochum. Nothing wrong with it. The Scherzo is fantastic.
            I have the set. Very good.
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• edashtav
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
              I have the set. Very good.
              I endorse that view: sound, traditional fare.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Hiya Mahlerei, that looks good! Hope you are well.

Claudio Abbado’s recently published Mahler boxset artived yesterday. So I’ll be delvinginto that this week. Although some have been duplicated, but it’s well worth getting to include the later ones,like the Lucerne No.2.

JLW, did you see my post re the Storgards cycle?
                Indeed I did - thanks! I've just played the Storgårds Nielsen 5th - and it is quite stunning, one of the best I've heard and probably the best-sounding of all - more later...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  Indeed I did - thanks! I've just played the Storgårds Nielsen 5th - and it is quite stunning, one of the best I've heard and probably the best-sounding of all - more later...
                  Great! I played all three CDs straight through. Enjoyed them that much! The 6th I think takes a bit of getting used methinks,generally speaking. Needs careful handling!

Gustav Mahler
                  Symphony No.1 in D minor.
                  Berliner Philharmoniker, Claudio Abbado.

Symphony No.2 in C minor, “Resurrection”
                  Eteri Gvazava, (soprano), Anna Larsson, (contralto)
                  Orfeôn Donostiarra
                  Lucerne Festival Orchestra, Claudio Abbado.
                  Last edited by BBMmk2; 14-01-19, 12:17.
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• edashtav
                    • Jul 2012

I've visited a BBC Music magazine CD of the 90 y.o. Michael Tippett conducting the BBC SO in his own 2nd and 4th symphonies. ( I understand these historic recordings were later issued on the NMC label) . I must admit that the 2nd is one of my favourite scores: my love is sufficient to get me off my seat and into a train when I see a live performance advertised. So, I'm prejudiced. These recordings are not the best on disc, but they have moments that are revelatory, when I say to myself, "Yes, so right, that's what he wanted." I think it was John Amis who said of MT's beat that it was wild and wild is a characteristic of some of these moments. The Vivaldian pump at the start of the first movement of the 2nd , possibly subtitled "Joy", is intoxicating: Michael adds 'the spirit of the dance' into his mixture. Sometimes the brass are let off the elastic, they are half-way to the Pub.
                    A spirit of life lived to the full is communicated by these performances. Without such risk and sheer abandon, MT's music can sound intricate and full of pretty patterns. These discs are historic, thank goodness Michael and the BBC laid then down before it was too late. I recommend them too you all as 'raw' Michael Tippett.

Comment

• Pianoman
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      Liszt. Transcendental Etudes.
                      Claudio Arrau.

Thoughts on these or other interpretations welcome. I’m enjoying these in any case.
                      I have half a dozen recordings of these, but my favourite is available as Mp3 download for a whole £4.69 from Amazon...

Very clangy piano sound in places, typical of old(ish) Melodiya, but the playing has never been bettered imo. Worth a punt at that price..?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                        I have half a dozen recordings of these, but my favourite is available as Mp3 download for a whole £4.69 from Amazon...

Very clangy piano sound in places, typical of old(ish) Melodiya, but the playing has never been bettered imo. Worth a punt at that price..?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liszt-dex%C...s=berman+liszt
                        Member Jonathan Welsh will be able to testify, no doubt.
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Stravinsky - Pulcinella Suite, Scherzo Fantastique, Symphonies of Wind Instruments - NYPO/Boulez

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Nielsen Symphony No.5. BBCPO/Storgårds. Chandos 24/96 . 2015 release..

Storgårds doesn’t miss a trick in the 5th - a marvellous, carefully-paced reading whose power and beauty surely makes it one of the very finest on record.
                            It is that beauty of sound - from the orchestra itself, and the spacious, transparent dynamically wide-ranging recording, that strikes the ear most. Storgårds doesn’t allow the side-drum to become too fierce during part one - until its onslaught upon the orchestra at the peak, whose power at the final surge clear of the battle is stupendous - overwhelming. And how impressively clear it remains through the teeming density of it all!

Characteristically Moderate tempi in Part Two, but with terrific weight and truculence to the rhythmic momentum. Compellingly demonic second fugue, with savage crescendi before the machine runs out of steam….

The tranquillo pure, then radiant; the orchestra sweeping back, an unstoppable wave, to carry us to a final chord of shining splendour.

So an excellent set overall - sometimes you wonder if the steadiness of pace makes too relaxed an impression, without enough tension or drama, but almost every time (with the partial exception of the 3rd), Storgårds wins you over with tonal beauty, definitional clarity, thunderous weight and momentum - and those huge, magnificent climaxes.
                            An engineering feat as well as a musical one!

Comment

• Jonathan
                              • Mar 2007

Member Jonathan Welsh will be able to testify, no doubt.
                              Indeed I can! Interestingly, I listened to Lazar Berman's recording last week (via you-tube) and I thought it was great! It was flagged as the reference recording. Recently, Dinara Klinton's set is excellent but I wasn't impressed by Trifanov - too polished for my tastes. I caught Boris Giltberg's Chasse Neige on the radio last week and wasn't sure what to make of it. I'll have a proper listen at a later date...
                              Best regards,
                              Jonathan

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                                Stravinsky - Pulcinella Suite, Scherzo Fantastique, Symphonies of Wind Instruments - NYPO/Boulez
                                Surprisingly scrappy Pulcinella Suite, imho.
                                I would have expected something sharper/more precise from Boulez.

Comment

Working...
                                X