Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Brian Ferneyhough - Chronos Aion, then Contraccolpi.

Smashing, ear-teasing stuff.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Duly ordered - which makes about 50 "treats" ("well, it's Christmas!") I've allowed myself this week! I must stop.

(The Britten discs in that box are also available individually - probably "Used" - the Lucretia excerpts [which I first owned on an MfP LP] coupled with excerpts from Peter Grimes in the "original cast recording" from 1946. Both excellent.)
        Someone has put up the first movement of Rubbra's PC on YouTube. Not sure if the other two movements are lurking somewhere in the TubeWorld. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yWdC2Jp-Ow

et voici - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b-FXVUT_YI

Provided to YouTube by Warner ClassicsPiano Concerto in G Op. 55 (2001 Remastered Version) : III. Danza alla rondo (Allegretto gioioso) · Denis Matthews · BB...

Odd that the Youtubes seem to have been provided by Warner.

Could be of interest while you wait for the delivery person.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Someone has put up the first movement of Rubbra's PC on YouTube. Not sure if the other two movements are lurking somewhere in the TubeWorld. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yWdC2Jp-Ow

The rest of the Concerto is there, too:

Provided to YouTube by Warner ClassicsPiano Concerto in G Op. 55 (2001 Remastered Version) : II. Dialogue (Lento e solenne) · Denis Matthews · BBC Symphony O...

Provided to YouTube by Warner ClassicsPiano Concerto in G Op. 55 (2001 Remastered Version) : III. Danza alla rondo (Allegretto gioioso) · Denis Matthews · BB...

... but I haven't listened to them, 'cause I don't want to spoil the ending.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

et voici - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b-FXVUT_YI

Odd that the Youtubes seem to have been provided by Warner.

So is it the old EMI recording?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
              My favourite Maderna orchestral piece is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNx7Bw3cJE0
              That's from Vol. 2 of the NEOS Complete Works for Orchestra series, (thankfully licensed for youtube)... I felt it was the least interesting of the 5 Volumes, largely drawn from excerpts from the opera Hyperion...

Here's my earlier Rough Guide....

The Grand Reference for Maderna is the NEOS 5-Volume series...
              https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/search?q...rna&i=boutique
              (...still on Amazon too at reasonable prices…)

....which really does take you on a fantastic journey from the 40s to the tragic premature end (1973, Maderna just into his musical prime) courtesy of that 20thC music hero, Arturo Tamayo. Qobuz sadly lacks the (excellent) notes but you find most of them on the NEOS website if you search out Maderna there...
              All fascinating, compellingly beautiful sonic experiences; one may consider Vol.2 less essential, consisting mainly of excerpts from the Hyperion music drama, but still plenty to enjoy.

But there are some earlier classics, notably the 1970 premiere of the marvellous Grande Aulodia (a sort of expanded, aleatoric, fantastical oboe/flute concerto) with Maderna himself conducting the RAI in very vivid mono..this outdoes both the NEOS and Strad issues, good they they are, for expressive intensity and sheer melismatic elan..…
              His other late, great masterpiece is the Quadrivium (Naxos or NEOS, both good and very different due to the aleatoric sections).
              The best of a terrific Stradivarius series is probably the Violin Concerto/Piano Concerto coupling, though the CD is prohibitively expensive now…
              … All three Oboe Concerti fit neatly on one CD - from a choice of two ( , both good, go for the Holliger stunner...)

…….but I haven't made many notes on the music yet..just dwelling upon in a genuine, visionary musical revelation...the sheer beauty of his orchestral imagination, and the creative sparks thrown off by the aleatoric/written out conflict/opposition...

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                So is it the old EMI recording?
                I think so - Denis Matthews and Malcolm Sargent + BBCSO

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Claude Debussy : Nocturnes; Première Rhapsodie; Jeux; La Mer / Cleveland Orchestra under Boulez.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Ernst Eichner
                    Oboe Concerto No. 3 in C

A serendipitous find. Really good this one - or at least pleasant to listen to.

Picture: Joseph Vernet - A Harbor in MoonlightErnst Dietrich Adolph Eichner (born February 15, 1740 in Bad Arolsen, died 1777 in Potsdam) was a German compos...

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Mozart: Sonatas K. 333, 370 and 570 (Gustav Leonhardt playing an unidentified fortepiano).

Recording originally published on the SEON label in 1972, so may also be in a SEON box.

[They are spread over 2 CDs in the Sony SEON big box, along with K. 282 plus the pieces K. 355 [576B] 453A and 540.]
                      Last edited by Bryn; 06-12-18, 00:08. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

Listening today for the first time to Riccardo Chailly's recordings of Schumann symphonies with the Gewandhausorchester, and beginning predictably enough with no.2. While people like JEG and Herreweghe have shown that Schumann's orchestration doesn't necessarily need reworking, if you're going to perform this music with a "modern" orchestra, with all the balance decisions that will involve, why not use Mahler's solutions? Especially when they're as well played as this. Does it actually sound like Mahler? Not at all, except maybe the dynamics at some moments. I look forward to another listen when I won't be so concerned with who and how, but just with the musical substance.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          I felt it was the least interesting of the 5 Volumes, largely drawn from excerpts from the opera Hyperion...
                          That isn't quite right though - Hyperion was assembled out of pieces which already had a life of their own, rather than being written and then split into excerpts. There's nothing "incomplete" about any of them. What is striking about Stele per Diotima for me is its radically disjunct form - isolated percussive points of orchestral sound for eight minutes, then four minutes of sparsely lyrical unaccompanied violin, eventually joined by other orchestral soloists (clarinet, bass clarinet, horn) in the kind of exuberant atonal polyphony shot through with soloistic moments that's familiar from much of Maderna's work, after which a lone woodblock ushers in a gradual return of the orchestra for the closing burst of brass and percussion. Of course, Maderna's sense of form is often strange and startling, but I think never more so than in this work.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Mozart: Sonatas K. 333, 370 and 570 (Gustav Leonhardt playing an unidentified fortepiano).

Recording originally published on the SEON label in 1972, so may also be in a SEON box.

[They are spread over 2 CDs in the Sony SEON big box, along with K. 282 plus the pieces K. 355 [576B] 453A and 540.]
                            So much for being able to search and find music easily using online services. Those are not in the downloads of Gustav Leonhardt's work I bought recently. I couldn't find them in Qobuz - after that I lost interest. They may be in the Gustav Leonhardt box, which I think I have, and they should be in the SEON box which you mention.

In the end I gave up and found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDmFp-IEGnI - which I think I also have on CD. Pity about the modern piano, but Horowitz is very good. I'll dig out the Leonhardt CDs later.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Havergal Brian
                              Festal Dance
                              Wine of Summer (Symphony No. 5)
                              Roderick Williams (baritone)
                              Symphony No. 19
                              Symphony No. 27
                              Royal Scottish National Orchestra/Martyn Brabbins
                              Recorded 2014 Henry Wood Hall, Glasgow
                              Dutton Epoch

Bridge
                              String Quartet No. 2
                              Phantasy Piano Quartet
                              String Quartet No. 4
                              Phantasy Piano Quartet
                              Martin Roscoe (piano)
                              Maggini String Quartet
                              Recorded 2003 Potton Hall, Suffolk
                              Naxos

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Nothing , except the sound of train wheels on the tracks.

Left my headphones at home.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X