• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    That British Composers box could be flagged in the Bargains thread.
    I have CDs 3–5 as separate issues, and I assume that 1–2 are in the big Britten Collector's Edition.

There is another (BBC) recording of the Rubbra PC, which I have:

Discover Rubbra: Symphony No.4; Piano Concerto in G; Soliloquy For Cello & Orchestra by Vernon Handley. Find album reviews, track lists, credits, awards and more at AllMusic.

PS: Found on amazon.com, but at a silly price:

https://www.amazon.com/Symphony-Pian.../dp/B000000TN5
    Try here.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Try here.

That's more reasonable!
      Recommended, to anyone who's interested in Rubbra's music.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        I paid 6p more than you, but I'll just take it on the chin, pick myself up and dust my self down and get on with my life. I'm not the sort of guy that lets things like this get me down, although I did have a little cry. Is yours brand new?
        Sure is, and from a Swiss supplier, so you can bank on it.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Sure is, and from a Swiss supplier, so you can bank on it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

That's more reasonable!
            Recommended, to anyone who's interested in Rubbra's music.
            Duly ordered - which makes about 50 "treats" ("well, it's Christmas!") I've allowed myself this week! I must stop.

(The Britten discs in that box are also available individually - probably "Used" - the Lucretia excerpts [which I first owned on an MfP LP] coupled with excerpts from Peter Grimes in the "original cast recording" from 1946. Both excellent.)
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

I remember my father telling me he had seen Rubbra and his piano trio give a concert at an army camp during the war. I realised that I didn't have any of his music in my collection and started clicking the links offered. This led me to surf around a bit, not knowing what I was looking for and happened upon this Lyrita disc which has taken my fancy ... for several reasons, alongside my father's reminiscence: I love song discs. The programme is unusual and intriguing. I read a very positive review. We saw Tracey Chadwell deliver a lovely recital in a small local venue (a sequence of songs from the Middle Ages to the 20th cent). She died tragically young in her 30s in 1996 and the recital made a lasting impression. I think I might end up getting the disc.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Yuja Wang The Berlin Recital(Live at The Philharmonie, Berlin 2018)
                Rachmaninov
                Prelude in G minor, Op.23/6; Études Tableaux, Op.39, No.1 in C minor;
                No.3 in C minor, Op.39, No.3; Prelude in B minor, Op.32, No.10;
                Scriabin Piano Sonata No.10, Op.70;
                Ligeti
                Études pour Piano
                Yuja Wang, Piano.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

I've been listening to some music by the Swiss composer Hans Ulrich Lehmann (1937-2013) who was not much more than a name to me, having been the director of the music academy in Zürich for over twenty years, and I suspect is probably not even that to most members of this forum. I was particularly impressed by dis-cantus 1 (1971) for oboe and strings, in a recording played by Heinz Holliger, which occupies a high-density world somewhere between Ligeti and Ferneyhough. I suppose it could be said that Lehmann doesn't add so very much to what we know about the music produced by his generation of European composers, but this music is imaginative and often striking, and by no means just musique contemporaine ordinaire. Not much stuff on Youtube, I see, and only one CD on Qobuz...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    I remember my father telling me he had seen Rubbra and his piano trio give a concert at an army camp during the war. I realised that I didn't have any of his music in my collection and started clicking the links offered. This led me to surf around a bit, not knowing what I was looking for and happened upon this Lyrita disc which has taken my fancy ... for several reasons, alongside my father's reminiscence: I love song discs. The programme is unusual and intriguing. I read a very positive review. We saw Tracey Chadwell deliver a lovely recital in a small local venue (a sequence of songs from the Middle Ages to the 20th cent). She died tragically young in her 30s in 1996 and the recital made a lasting impression. I think I might end up getting the disc.

As can be seen at the bottom of the review, this was originally an ASV release.
                    Well done to Lyrita for adopting it!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                      • Jan 2016

... moving on now for the first time to Michael Gielen conducting Das Lied von der Erde, a recording I was initially suspicious of, given that the tenor songs (with Siegfried Jerusalem) were recorded ten years before the others (with Cornelia Kallisch) and in a different venue. Well: I don't think I would have noticed if I hadn't read it in the booklet. Not after the first two songs anyway, but now it's time to stop writing and concentrate.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Thoroughly enjoying this. Now I know where Boulez got some of those magical textures of his orchestral Notations from.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

Thoroughly enjoying this. Now I know where Boulez got some of those magical textures of his orchestral Notations from.
                          My favourite Maderna orchestral piece is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNx7Bw3cJE0

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                            My favourite Maderna orchestral piece is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNx7Bw3cJE0
                            Thanks.

I'll listen after I've finished listening to the very magical ...explosant-fixe...

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Hmm, with live coverage of the George Bush funeral turning up on the BBC News channel (Nearer, My God to Thee being played), I am prompted to listen to Ives's 4th Symphony. Now, which recording to spin? I reckon the one not currently listed on amazon.co.uk, other than in mp3 format, that with the Ensemble Modern Orchestra, conducted by John Adams.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Jean Barraqué - Séquence

"All goes, all dies...Every trustee of creation must accept that as he accepts his own death. Even on the technical level his art must evolve towards death; ...

Comment

Working...
                                X