X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    As it happens I listened to the Lintu recording myself today (and the rest of the CD). I appreciate the broader duration - given that there are so few "events" to grasp hold of, it doesn't seem to me slower as such, merely longer, and the sound of it is so beautiful I can never get enough of it. I don't know the Benjamin or Roth recordings but I find the Nott a bit unfocused - I do want to be able to "listen into the sound" and focus on the complexity of the blended timbres. If I'm not mistaken, Roth's concert programme interspersed the three movements of Debussy's Images with Lontano and Atmosphères... I'm not sure I would have liked that much.
    Yes, ‘slower’ is not right: ‘longer’ much more to the point. And, had I been asked about the Debussy/Ligeti conjunction before hearing it, I might well have reacted unfavourably to it. But, somehow it works for me. I find the performances to be, well, I’m not sure that ‘exemplary’ is the right word, but difficult to imagine much better at the moment. F-X R can do little wrong in my book (although the Lintu CD is mightily impressive).

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
      Yes, ‘slower’ is not right: ‘longer’ much more to the point. And, had I been asked about the Debussy/Ligeti conjunction before hearing it, I might well have reacted unfavourably to it. But, somehow it works for me. I find the performances to be, well, I’m not sure that ‘exemplary’ is the right word, but difficult to imagine much better at the moment. F-X R can do little wrong in my book (although the Lintu CD is mightily impressive).
      I was just having a quick look at the Philharmoniker website... is it possible to listen to or download individual concerts, or is the only way to listen to have an annual subscription? (sorry if there's an obvious answer to this that I missed )

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        I was just having a quick look at the Philharmoniker website... is it possible to listen to or download individual concerts, or is the only way to listen to have an annual subscription? (sorry if there's an obvious answer to this that I missed )
        With our monthly subscription or a one-off payment, you can access all concerts as well as all other Digital Concert Hall content at any time.

(But AFAIK, top rates remain AAC 256 kbps live/320 kbps Archive...it ran live at 320 a few years ago & I revelled in that (if you're in the Archive check out the Antonini Beethoven 2nd, and Emmanuelle Haim's Handel/Rameau - heavens, where did the years go?)...what a shame they had to reduce...
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 04-12-18, 22:36.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Thanks! (Wonder how much I could record in a week!)

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Havergal Brian
            Concert Overture, For Valour
            Comedy Overture, Dr Merryheart
            Symphony No. 11
            Symphony No. 15
            RTE National Symphony Orchestra / Tony Rowe (For Valour; No.15); Adrian Leaper (Merryheart; No.11)
            recorded 1993 (Leaper) & 1997 (Rowe)
            Naxos re-issued Marco Polo

Sir Arthur Bliss
            Piano Quartet
            Oboe Quartet
            Viola Sonata
            Maggini Quartet
            Peter Donohoe, piano (Piano Quartet); Julian Rolton, piano (Sonata); Martin Outram (viola); Nicholas Daniel (oboe)
            Recorded 2001 Potton Hall, Suffolk
            Naxos

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Edmund Rubbra - Piano Concerto in G Op.55
              Denis Matthews Piano, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Sir Malcolm Sargent.

Picked this 5 CD set up, brand-new, on Amazon for £9.39 incl p&p last night (I got the last one, it's gone up to £14.32, but still a good price).

I bought it for the Rubbra Piano Concerto having listened to the recent broadcast flagged up by Andrew Slater on the Rubbra composer thread, when I was bowled over.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Picked this 5 CD set up, brand-new, on Amazon for £9.39 incl p&p last night (I got the last one, it's gone up to £14.32, but still a good price).

I bought it for the Rubbra Piano Concerto having listened to the recent broadcast flagged up by Andrew Slater on the Rubbra composer thread, when I was bowled over.

I will buy!

Destination Rachmaninov: Departure
                Piano Concerto No.2 in C minor, Op.18
                Partita for Violin Solo No.3 in E major, BWV1006
                Piano Concerto No.4 in G minor, Op.40.
                Daniil Trifonov, (piano), Philadelphia Orchestra,
                Yannick Nézet-Séguin.
                Last edited by BBMmk2; 05-12-18, 11:51.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                  I will buy!
                  Said in true Gloria Gaynor style!

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Interesting. I tried looking on Qobuz, Spotify and Napster. All failed at first attempt.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's not in one of those, but just not obvious.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

You was robbed. Down to £9.33 including p&p, now.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Same results here, hence buying the CD.

I was unaware of the Rubbra pc, but I've fallen in love with it. This, as far as I can tell, is the only available recording of it. The recordings are old. I've only listened to the Rubbra pc so far, but the recording is perfectly ok (in that it does not distract from the music).

Some other great artists too, Sir Reginald Goodall, Sir Malcom Sargent, barbirolli, Peter Pears, Joan Cross .............

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          You was robbed. Down to £9.33 including p&p, now.
                          Where? It's showing as £14.32 on Amazon UK.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

amazon.co.uk Marketplace (Unique). Though since I grabbed it, they may not have another.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Same results here, hence buying the CD.

I was unaware of the Rubbra pc, but I've fallen in love with it. This, as far as I can tell, is the only available recording of it. The recordings are old. I've only listened to the Rubbra pc so far, but the recording is perfectly ok (in that it does not distract from the music).

Some other great artists too, Sir Reginald Goodall, Sir Malcom Sargent, barbirolli, Peter Pears, Joan Cross .............
                              That British Composers box could be flagged in the Bargains thread.
                              I have CDs 3–5 as separate issues, and I assume that 1–2 are in the big Britten Collector's Edition.

There is another (BBC) recording of the Rubbra PC, which I have:

Discover Rubbra: Symphony No.4; Piano Concerto in G; Soliloquy For Cello & Orchestra by Vernon Handley. Find album reviews, track lists, credits, awards and more at AllMusic.

PS: Found on amazon.com, but at a silly price:

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                amazon.co.uk Marketplace (Unique). Though since I grabbed it, they may not have another.
                                I paid 6p more than you, but I'll just take it on the chin, pick myself up and dust my self down and get on with my life. I'm not the sort of guy that lets things like this get me down, although I did have a little cry. Is yours brand new?

Comment

Working...
                                X