• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    David Matthews - Symphony No. 7
    Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, John Carewe.

Off to get my haircut and some shopping in Tesco, so I've loaded this onto my DAP to listen to on the journey.

Diversity is the name of the game here - a symphony that's much loved and vouched for by people from Roger Scruton to our very own Jayne.

If it’s good enough for JLW, it’s good enough for me!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
      If it’s good enough for JLW, it’s good enough for me!
      Good job you said, Jayne. If you'd have said Roger, you'd be a "fan"

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Just finished listening no.7 while washing up and waiting for the rain to pass. Now moved on to No.6

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Just finished listening no.7 while washing up and waiting for the rain to pass. Now moved on to No.6

6 is the finest of them all, I think; I saw the score briefly during its preparation a few times and attended the Proms première. Enjoy!

Comment

• DublinJimbo
            • Nov 2011

Sibelius: En saga op. 9
            BBC National Orchestra of Wales / Thomas Søndergård

Kalevi Aho: Clarinet Concerto (2005)
            Martin Fröst, Lahti Symphony Orchestra / Osmo Vänskä
            A terrific work, given a brilliant performance

Einojuhani Rautavaara: Symphony No. 7 ('Angel of Light', 1994-95)
            Lahti Symphony Orchestra / Osmo Vänskä

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Where do you folk ‘source’ your BPO/Rattle CD’s may I ask?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                Direct from their site.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  6 is the finest of them all, I think; I saw the score briefly during its preparation a few times and attended the Proms première. Enjoy!
                  Thank you, I did enjoy! And I thought precisely what you have said - it's the finest of them all.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Well there are 9 David Matthews Symphonies now, but the 8th and 9th (premiered 9/18) lack recordings, and AFAIK there've been no broadcasts since the 8th's Bridgewater premiere in 2015...(I fondly remember our epic "whither modern music" debate after that..(with RB, fhg, AH etc)...
                    ...Seems to belong to a different, more innocent world now...)
                    There were plans to record the 8th with Chandos in Manchester c/w A Vision of the Sea, ​but it hasn't appeared so far....

Whilst the 6th is the most ambitious, achieved and impressively epic, I love the 4th and 5th most of all, for their deftness, subtlety and range of mood. There's an "unpredictable inevitability" within their striking concision. They're the closest to "neo-classical" Matthews Symphonies, though as individual as ever...
                    As with Mendelssohn's best music, lightness-of-touch doesn't preclude depth or profundity...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      Well there are 9 David Matthews Symphonies now, but the 8th and 9th (premiered 9/18) lack recordings, and AFAIK there've been no broadcasts since the 8th's Bridgewater premiere in 2015...(I fondly remember our epic "whither modern music" debate after that..(with RB, fhg, AH etc)...
                      ...Seems to belong to a different, more innocent world now...)
                      There were plans to record the 8th with Chandos in Manchester c/w A Vision of the Sea, ​but it hasn't appeared so far....

Whilst the 6th is the most ambitious, achieved and impressively epic, I love the 4th and 5th most of all, for their deftness, subtlety and range of mood. There's an "unpredictable inevitability" within their striking concision. They're the closest to "neo-classical" Matthews Symphonies, though as individual as ever...
                      As with Mendelssohn's best music, lightness-of-touch doesn't preclude depth or profundity...
                      I remember that ill-mannered, but very informative, nay, educational debate

I'm not as familiar with 4 & 5 as I am with 6, but I can't put them in the same class as 6.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

I remember that ill-mannered, but very informative, nay, educational debate

I'm not as familiar with 4 & 5 as I am with 6, but I can't put them in the same class as 6.
                        As my recollections of that are somewhat hazy, I can only hope that my own contributions, such as (and whatever) they were, did not fall into the "ill-mannered" category. For me, whilst there's no such thing as a duff David Matthews symphony, like you, I would value no. 6 above all of the others were someone to put a gun at my head and say "if you could take only one..."...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

As my recollections of that are somewhat hazy, I can only hope that my own contributions, such as (and whatever) they were, did not fall into the "ill-mannered" category. For me, whilst there's no such thing as a duff David Matthews symphony, like you, I would value no. 6 above all of the others were someone to put a gun at my head and say "if you could take only one..."...
                          IIRC, you were well behaved!

Your oft-used gun at the head scenario is macabre!

Do we know if Dutton or others have any intentions regarding 8&9?

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

IIRC, you were well behaved!

Your oft-used gun at the head scenario is macabre!

Do we know if Dutton or others have any intentions regarding 8&9?
                            I don't know but I cannot imagine that recordings of these works will need to be be long awaited. He has just completed a Concerto for Orchestra that will be premièred next May, by the way. I don't know whether he yet has any plans for a 10th sympohony...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

I don't know but I cannot imagine that recordings of these works will need to be be long awaited. He has just completed a Concerto for Orchestra that will be premièred next May, by the way. I don't know whether he yet has any plans for a 10th sympohony...
                              The concerto for orchestra is something I will look forward to. Do you have any idea where it will be premiered?

Regarding the 10th, if he's not superstitious, he needn't plan for it. But if he is superstitious, he needs to get onto writing it!

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                                I got the BPO/Rattle Beethoven symphony set direct from the BPO online shop https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-...mpaign=dropnav but they are also available from Presto and Amazon. They aren't cheap though! The LvB symphony set is much, much better than the earlier EMI cycle with the VPO.
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X