X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    Thanks for the reminder I like his Mass for Double Choir and the organ work, Passacaglia. Is there an orchestral version?
    There is indeed (see above) and also a version for string orchestra. Strangely, the liner notes of the Bamert CD don't mention that the orchestral piece is an arrangement of an organ piece. I attended a performance of the Mass a couple of years ago, it's quite an impressive piece.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Shostakovich
      Cello Concertos No’s 1 & 2
      Alisa Weilerstein (cello)
      Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks/Pablo Heras-Casado
      Recorded 2015 (Studio No. 1 & Live No. 2) Herkulessaal, Munich
      Decca

Arensky
      Piano Quintet, Op. 51
      String Quartet No. 2, Op. 35
      Piano Trio, Op. 32
      Spectrum Concerts Berlin
      Recorded live 2014, Kammermusiksaal, Philharmonie, Berlin
      Naxos

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Arensky’s chamber music I know nothing about, Stan

Listening to last night’s Prom. Seems much better than the other one, with Richard Strauss’s Eine Alpine Sinfonie.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          There is indeed (see above) and also a version for string orchestra. Strangely, the liner notes of the Bamert CD don't mention that the orchestral piece is an arrangement of an organ piece. I attended a performance of the Mass a couple of years ago, it's quite an impressive piece.

Thank you Richard Barrett. Yes, I have the one on Hyperion label, re the Mass, with Matthew Best. I’ll see about that recording you mentioned above as well.
          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Arensky’s chamber music I know nothing about, Stan
            This Arensky album from Spectrum Concerts Berlin contain especially fine performances.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Shostakovich: Cello Concerto No. 2 (Rostropovich, Prague Symphony Orchestra, Svetlanov).

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Roberto Gerhard
                Leo; Gemini; Libra; Concert for 8. Collegium Novum Zurich/Peter Hirsch. NEOS CD 2013.

Stunning Gerhard collection of the late ensemble/instrumental pieces (some of his best music), including all the Zodiac works. Probably not much to choose between these and the Barcelona 216 (Stradivarius), but with the advantage of having them here on a single disc. In truth, and in direct comparison, I did just prefer the NEOS recordings for a touch of extra freedom and drama in their presentation.
                Both Libra and Leo end with a variant of the same music - an extraordinary, other-worldly coda with clarinet and flute solos agains a piano ostinato, soft timpani glissandi and hushed percussion adding flickers and colours in the background.
                Libra was his own sign, Leo his wife's. Leo was his last completed work.
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 02-08-18, 03:16.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  This Arensky album from Spectrum Concerts Berlin contain especially fine performances.
                  Thanks Stan. Much appreciated!
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Vivaldi - x2 - Double Concertos for horns, oboes, violin & cello, oboe & bassoon
                    Concerto for 2 horns, strings & continuo, RV 539
                    Concerto for 2 oboes, strings & continuo, RV 535
                    Concerto for violin, cello, strings & continuo, RV 546
                    Concerto for oboe, bassoon, strings & continuo, RV 545
                    Concerto for 2 horns, strings & continuo, RV 538
                    Concerto for violin, cello, strings & continuo, RV 547
                    Concerto for 2 oboes, strings & continuo, RV 536
                    Concerto per S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B. for violin, cello, 2 oboes, 2 horns, strings & continuo, RV
                    La Serenissima (period instruments) / Adrian Chandler (baroque violin)
                    Recorded 2018 Cedars Hall, Wells, Somerset
                    Avie - new release

‘Magdalena Kožená – Monteverdi’
                    Arias from Monteverdi, Uccellini, Merula, Marini

Magdalena Kožená (mezzo-soprano)
                    La Cetra Barockorchester Basel / Andrea Marcon (direction & harpsichord)
                    with David Feldman (countertenor); Jakob Pilgram (bass); Michael Feyfar (tenor); Luca Titoto (bass)
                    Recorded 2014 Kirche St. German von Auxerre, Seewen, Switzerland
                    Archiv Produktion

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Bartók: The Miraculous Mandarin, Op.19, Sz.73

Anton-Webern-Choir Freiburg/SWR Baden and Freiburg Symphony Orchestra/Michael Gielen

Helped by the crystal-clear acoustics of the Freiburg Concert Hall, I think that this may be the best performance of this piece I've heard since first hearing it (BBC SO/Dorati - a much treasured LP) all those years ago (1967 - eek!). Gielen has a wonderful ear for the texture of the music but doesn't forget that it was written as a stage work, rather than as an ear-battering orchestral showpiece. I can't recommend Volume 5 of the Michael Gielen Edition with its mix of his Bartók and Stravinsky highly enough (I seem to remember Richard B enthusing about it as well).

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                        I can't recommend Volume 5 of the Michael Gielen Edition with its mix of his Bartók and Stravinsky highly enough (I seem to remember Richard B enthusing about it as well).
                        Absolutely, HD. Every item in that box has become my first-choice recording. And I haven't even listened to it all yet! The Bartók 1st Violin Concerto and Pulcinella are still awaiting my attention, although the latter isn't a favourite of mine.

Continuing my investigations of Frank Martin, I listened this morning to Bamert's CD of "Ballades" which was the title FM used for small-scale concertante works (mostly orchestrated from pieces for melody instrument and piano). These aren't, I think, on the level of the Concerto for 7 Winds (my current favourite) or the Petite symphonie concertante. They seem a little unfocused and eclectic to me.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Peter Maxwell Davies: Chat Moss, Cross Lane Fair and Five Klee Pictures
                          Arnold Bax: Summer Music

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Absolutely, HD. Every item in that box has become my first-choice recording. And I haven't even listened to it all yet! The Bartók 1st Violin Concerto and Pulcinella are still awaiting my attention, although the latter isn't a favourite of mine. . . .
                            I already had 6 of the Stravinsky recordings from that box in their Hänssler Classics manifestation. However, at the current lowest Amazon Marketplace prices, I am sorely tempted.

As for Pulcinella, it is a karaoke favourite of mine.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Absolutely, HD. Every item in that box has become my first-choice recording. And I haven't even listened to it all yet! The Bartók 1st Violin Concerto and Pulcinella are still awaiting my attention, although the latter isn't a favourite of mine.
                              I'm pleased that you used italics (not noticeable in the 'quote' environment) here, Richard; I don't wan't to think that I've fallen out with you.

Sounds tempting.

PS: Too tempting to resist, given such endorsements, so duly ordered!
                              Last edited by Pulcinella; 02-08-18, 20:17. Reason: PS added!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                                Bartók: The Miraculous Mandarin, Op.19, Sz.73

Anton-Webern-Choir Freiburg/SWR Baden and Freiburg Symphony Orchestra/Michael Gielen

Helped by the crystal-clear acoustics of the Freiburg Concert Hall, I think that this may be the best performance of this piece I've heard since first hearing it (BBC SO/Dorati - a much treasured LP) all those years ago (1967 - eek!). Gielen has a wonderful ear for the texture of the music but doesn't forget that it was written as a stage work, rather than as an ear-battering orchestral showpiece. I can't recommend Volume 5 of the Michael Gielen Edition with its mix of his Bartók and Stravinsky highly enough (I seem to remember Richard B enthusing about it as well).

That’s saying something there Stan!. I alway was a fan of Abbado s and Rattle’s.

Walton

Viola Concerto
                                Sonata for String Orchestra
                                Partita for Orchestra.
                                James Ehnes(viola), BBC SO,
                                Edward Gardner.
                                Last edited by BBMmk2; 03-08-18, 10:55.
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...