Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

The Complete Champions
    Wifred Heaton Contest music
    George Lloyd Royal Parks
    John McCabe Cloudcatcher Fells.
    Black Dyke Mills band, Major Peter Parkes.

What a recording this is. One of the best ever made by Dyke. This was published when they were still associated with the famous John Foster & Sons. I've actually played the Wilfred Heaton. A very good work, as are the others here.

With the George Lloyd work, the middle slow movement is dedicated to those musicians who were killed by the IRA bomb attack on that bandstand.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Much as I do share in the love shown here for the English music tradition that emerged in two main directions from Parry and Stanford (basically Delius and Vaughan Williams, and the interesting intertwinings of their initially mutually opposed routes out of the Germanic tradition evidenced in composers such as Howells and Bax), I have an equal passion for 20th century French music, which was (and continues to be) as varied in its pathways and byways as ours. It is a tragedy for me that this is under-recognised here on the forum - partly I would think as a consequence of prolonged under-exposure by the BBC, specifically Radio 3, at least in the 55-odd years I have been listening. A host of stuff is luckily to be found on youtube, some of it introducing us to early works often deemed unworthy of broadcast presumably as unrepresentive of how we've been led to perceive them and where they are coming from. Right now I've been listening to the first string quartet of Charles Koechlin, composed between 1911 and 1913, but already his Op 50 (he was always very prolific!), and a good illustration of his position, both in the thinking current at the time, which from the emerging soundworld and aesthetic suggests a midway stance between the post-Franckistes like Dukas and Roussel (clear interest in Bachian contrapuntal procedures), and Ravel (a new emergent classicism) but exhibiting little empathy for the Impressionist ethos of his contemporaries, even where it was being parodied by Satie. We can hear many pre-echoes of Milhaud and Honegger here - not just in the harmonic language and embrace of linear complexity but in an idiom that is as pastoral in its own way as Koechlin's English contemporaries. Within a short time Koechlin would be exploring chromaticism and multiple tonality in ways hinted at here in the toyings between diatonic major and Lydian modality suggestive of the later launch pads into new territory, sharing exploratory aims similar to those of his fellow Faure pupil Casella (eg the latter's "Pagine di guerra").

Charles Koechlin (1867-1950): Quartetto per archi N°1, op.51 (1911/1913).I. Allegro moderatoII. Scherzo (Allegro scherzando non troppo vivace) [06:50]III. An...

And here, to illustrate my last point, is the Piano Quintet, his Op 80, composed over a long period covering considerable advance:

Charles Koechlin (1867-1950): Quintette pour piano et cordes, Op.80 (1908-1921).I. "L'attente obscure de qui sera..."II. "L'assaut de l'ennemi..." [10:36]III...

Be astonished - be very astonished!

I shall try and launch a thread devoted to neglected 20th century French composers in the next few days.
      Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 18-05-18, 23:12. Reason: link error correction

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Sorry to hear that's still a problem, Petrushka... I guess you've tried the obvious over-the-counter stuff like Sudafed? That always worked quite well for me for similar if less chronic or persistent conditions....
        Isn't there an ear-suction technique available now which is supposed to be more effective & safer than syringing? I think various providers like Specsavers offer that one...
        Micro suction is available on the NHS if you are persistent. It still requires lubrication with olive or almond oil for about a 4-5 days before treatment. The water pumping method doesn't work for everyone - it didn't work well for me. I think that anti-histamines might help a bit - say Loratidine or Cetirizine, and the ear people I've seen recommend putting in a few (I think they really mean a few - only 1-3) drops of olive or almond oil twice a week to try to keep problems at bay. Flooding the ears with oil may make things a lot worse. I also tend to agree with bryn that sometimes other treatments which are sinus related may be necessary. If the tubes are swollen, then ibuprofen might help to reduce the swelling, and then they can drain off more effectively, which is another factor after an infection.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Micro suction is available on the NHS if you are persistent. It still requires lubrication with olive or almond oil for about a 4-5 days before treatment. The water pumping method doesn't work for everyone - it didn't work well for me. I think that anti-histamines might help a bit - say Loratidine or Cetirizine, and the ear people I've seen recommend putting in a few (I think they really mean a few - only 1-3) drops of olive or almond oil twice a week to try to keep problems at bay. Flooding the ears with oil may make things a lot worse. I also tend to agree with bryn that sometimes other treatments which are sinus related may be necessary. If the tubes are swollen, then ibuprofen might help to reduce the swelling, and then they can drain off more effectively, which is another factor after an infection.
          Yes, and if Pet hasn't yet seen a consultant it may be time to - to get the diagnosis (which could easily be persistent Eustachian tube problems which may be treatable with antibiotics or other drugs) pinned down.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Yes, and if Pet hasn't yet seen a consultant it may be time to - to get the diagnosis (which could easily be persistent Eustachian tube problems which may be treatable with antibiotics or other drugs) pinned down.
            Hi jayne!

I was wondering what your thoughts might be - knowing how much you like Roussel's music - about the relative lack of discussion about modern French music here on the forum. Might I be making too much of this? I'd be grateful to hear your view!

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Overtures
              Black Dyke Band, Major Peter Parkes.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Much as I do share in the love shown here for the English music tradition that emerged in two main directions from Parry and Stanford (basically Delius and Vaughan Williams, and the interesting intertwinings of their initially mutually opposed routes out of the Germanic tradition evidenced in composers such as Howells and Bax), I have an equal passion for 20th century French music, which was (and continues to be) as varied in its pathways and byways as ours. It is a tragedy for me that this is under-recognised here on the forum - partly I would think as a consequence of prolonged under-exposure by the BBC, specifically Radio 3, at least in the 55-odd years I have been listening. A host of stuff is luckily to be found on youtube, some of it introducing us to early works often deemed unworthy of broadcast presumably as unrepresentive of how we've been led to perceive them and where they are coming from. Right now I've been listening to the first string quartet of Charles Koechlin, composed between 1911 and 1913, but already his Op 50 (he was always very prolific!), and a good illustration of his position, both in the thinking current at the time, which from the emerging soundworld and aesthetic suggests a midway stance between the post-Franckistes like Dukas and Roussel (clear interest in Bachian contrapuntal procedures), and Ravel (a new emergent classicism) but exhibiting little empathy for the Impressionist ethos of his contemporaries, even where it was being parodied by Satie. We can hear many pre-echoes of Milhaud and Honegger here - not just in the harmonic language and embrace of linear complexity but in an idiom that is as pastoral in its own way as Koechlin's English contemporaries. Within a short time Koechlin would be exploring chromaticism and multiple tonality in ways hinted at here in the toyings between diatonic major and Lydian modality suggestive of the later launch pads into new territory, sharing exploratory aims similar to those of his fellow Faure pupil Casella (eg the latter's "Pagine di guerra").

Charles Koechlin (1867-1950): Quartetto per archi N°1, op.51 (1911/1913).I. Allegro moderatoII. Scherzo (Allegro scherzando non troppo vivace) [06:50]III. An...

And here, to illustrate my last point, is the Piano Quintet, his Op 80, composed over a long period covering considerable advance:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Be astonished - be very astonished!

I shall try and launch a thread devoted to neglected 20th century French composers in the next few days.
                That link for the Quintet didn't seem to work for me, but this one did.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                  • Nov 2011

Saint-Saëns:
                  Piano Trio no. 1 in F major op. 18
                  Piano Trio no. 2 in E minor op. 92
                  La Muse et le Poète op. 132

Gould Piano Trio

Fine performances and excellent recording (Champs Hill Records). Qobuz CD-quality streaming.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    That link for the Quintet didn't seem to work for me, but this one did.
                    Thanks - sorry about the typo on my part there.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Hi jayne!

I was wondering what your thoughts might be - knowing how much you like Roussel's music - about the relative lack of discussion about modern French music here on the forum. Might I be making too much of this? I'd be grateful to hear your view!
                      I've certainly spent many rewarding hours listening to (and posting here on) Honegger's 5 Symphonies and Milhaud's..... well, 12 officially, but....as dear Roehre once pointed out to me, it's probably closer to 20...

I've adored Poulenc's music - choral and orchestral - for many decades now too. And have often made a point of saying so!

Closer to our own time, my shelves are well-stocked and my affections much taken with with - Dutilleux, Dusapin, Murail, and a scattering of Gerard Grisey.... I have mentioned these here from time to time but as you say, not many listeners seem to share our enthusiasm....but they are all composers I know I'll always want - or rather need - to return to. Very close to my heart.
                      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 19-05-18, 01:22.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Barrett: catastrophe (Christine Chapman and Dirk Rothbrust).

Many thanks for the link, Richard.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

I've certainly spent many rewarding hours listening to (and posting here on) Honegger's 5 Symphonies and Milhaud's..... well, 12 officially, but....as dear Roehre once pointed out to me, it's probably closer to 20...

I've adored Poulenc's music - choral and orchestral - for many decades now too. And have often made a point of saying so!

Closer to our own time, my shelves are well-stocked and my affections much taken with with - Dutilleux, Dusapin, Murail, and a scattering of Gerard Grisey.... I have mentioned these here from time to time but as you say, not many listeners seem to share our enthusiasm....but they are all composers I know I'll always want - or rather need - to return to. Very close to my heart.
                          Thanks jayne, thanks! A week ago I posted a list of 12 other, to my way of thinking quite important and in some cases very important mostly interwar-established 20th century French composers that hardly ever, if ever, get exposure on Radio 3 - on the Proms or anywhere else. Enough harassing of you from me! When I have time, I'll start a thread on them.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Barrett: catastrophe (Christine Chapman and Dirk Rothbrust).

Many thanks for the link, Richard.
                            As a follow-up:

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Another trip to my GP shortly, I think. There are some signs of improvement during the day with matters being at their worst first thing in the morning but most days it can be very stubborn and never clear at all. It is definitely a nose/Eustachian tube problem, as my GP says there is no wax and no infection, and one I've had periodically at various times of my life but not as bad as now. It will all clear up in time but it's frustrating to have to miss out on music for a while.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Xenakis, Eonta.

Specifically the second part. Now that's what I call a drunken polyrhythmic heterophony.

Comment

Working...
                                X