• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Mozart
    Requiem, K626 (completed Süssmayr)
    Margaret Price (soprano), Trudeliese Schmidt (mezzo-soprano), Francisco Araiza (tenor), Theo Adam (bass)
    Coronation Mass, K317
    Hans Peter Blochwitz (tenor), Edith Mathis (soprano), Jadwiga Rappé (contralto),
    Thomas Quasthoff (bass),
    Ave verum Corpus, K618
    Rundfunkchor Leipzig,
    Staatskapelle Dresden/Peter Schreier
    Recorded 1982 (Requiem), 1989 (Mass) & 1992 (Ave verum) Lukaskirche, Dresden
    Philips

Hans Pfitzner
    Piano Quintet, Op. 23
    Sextet for piano, strings and wind, Op. 55
    Ensemble Ulf Hoelscher
    Recorded 2003/04 Kammermusikstudio, SWR Stuttgart
    CPO

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      Mozart
      Requiem, K626 (completed Süssmayr)
      Margaret Price (soprano), Trudeliese Schmidt (mezzo-soprano), Francisco Araiza (tenor), Theo Adam (bass)
      Rundfunkchor Leipzig,
      Staatskapelle Dresden/Peter Schreier
      This is easily my favourite recording of the Requiem with Margaret Price in heavenly voice floating that soprano line like no-one else I've ever heard, though Lucy Crowe came within a whisker of equalling it at last year's Proms.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        This is easily my favourite recording of the Requiem with Margaret Price in heavenly voice floating that soprano line like no-one else I've ever heard, though Lucy Crowe came within a whisker of equalling it at last year's Proms.
        Hiya Petrushka,

Yes, Margaret Price had lovely expressive voice. Sadly missed! Her contribution to the Hyperion Schubert Edition with volume No. 15with Graham Johnson is marvellous too! On this Mozart CD of the Requiem the world class Staatskapelle Dresden is on outstanding form.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
          Hiya Petrushka,

Yes, Margaret Price had lovely expressive voice. Sadly missed! Her contribution to the Hyperion Schubert Edition with volume No. 15with Graham Johnson is marvellous too! On this Mozart CD of the Requiem the world class Staatskapelle Dresden is on outstanding form.
          I'll echo that. You reminded me of one of the first Lieder discs I bought well over 40 years ago - her Schubert recital with James Lockart on a Classics for Pleasure LP. My copy is no longer in good nick. I've spotted a CD version second hand on Amazon now as a twofer. I think I shall not be resisting. Thanks for the nudge.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Renaissance - Music for Inner Peace
            The Sixteen Choir, Harry Christophers.

In Memoriam - Manchester.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

PS to above: Also her Isolde with Kleiber and Dresden Staatskapelle (+ the late Kurt Moll as Marke), which I originally had on LP. I recently got a CD version via this DG Wagner box but haven't got around to listening to it in that format yet. I must do so without delay.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                PS to above: Also her Isolde with Kleiber and Dresden Staatskapelle (+ the late Kurt Moll as Marke), which I originally had on LP. I recently got a CD version via this DG Wagner box but haven't got around to listening to it in that format yet. I must do so without delay.
                Hiya gurnemanz,

I too have that Margaret Price 'Tristan und Isolde' from Dresden. It's another stunning performance!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Mahler Resurrection Symphony - Halle /Barbirolli 1959 seems appropriate in light of the extraordinarily wicked attack on the children and young people of Manchester last night .

Comment

• Simon B
                    • Dec 2010

RVW 5, BBCSSO/Manze - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9YoEETzYsE a favoured refuge from the insanity of reality.

A live Mahler 9 later, boss and GWR trains to London willing - also a live relay on R3 I believe

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

To be honest, after the events in Manchester, I feel too numb to listen to any music.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

It is numbing - desperately sad and beyond comprehension. The Mahler #9 last movement caught and guided my mood - then I went out into the evening garden; gathering thoughts and reactions. I remembered the report from the man on R4's PM, who with his wife was desperately searching for his two daughters - but in spite of their terror, they still managed to help and comfort another young girl, a complete stranger. These glimpses - and they so often are seen in these sorts of events - of (extra)ordinary kindness and compassion are important to latch upon.

Terrible day.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Vaughan Williams

Symphony No 5

Halle,Barbirolli,Manchester 1944

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Listened to Radio 3 in Concert last night. The highly charged emotive performance of Mahler 9, LSO/Haitink.
                            Nice touch from the leader, dedicating the concert to the victims of yesterdays harrowing event in Manchester.

Today:

After yesterday's events, a change of mood.

Respighi
                            Vetrate di Chiesa; Metarmorphoseon; Feste Romane;
                            Fonatne di Roma; Pini di Roma; Belkis, Queen of Sheba;
                            Brasilean Impressions
                            Philharmonia Orchestra, BBC PO, Geoffrey Simon, Yan Pascal Torrtelier.
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              Listened to Radio 3 in Concert last night. The highly charged emotive performance of Mahler 9, LSO/Haitink.
                              Nice touch from the leader, dedicating the concert to the victims of yesterdays harrowing event in Manchester.

Today:

After yesterday's events, a change of mood.

Respighi
                              Vetrate di Chiesa; Metarmorphoseon; Feste Romane;
                              Fonatne di Roma; Pini di Roma; Belkis, Queen of Sheba;
                              Brasilean Impressions
                              Philharmonia Orchestra, BBC PO, Geoffrey Simon, Yan Pascal Torrtelier.
                              I think after yesterday's events, M9 would have been too much, speaking for myself. I think I'll catch up with uncle Bernie next week.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                                • Jan 2016

Regarding events: I don't belittle what happened in Manchester at all by saying that similarly brutal and shocking things happen somewhere in the world almost every day, often with the participation of people some of us have voted into office. What does Mahler's 9th symphony (or any other piece of music) have to do with it?

Comment

Working...
                                X