X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
    I really enjoyed this when I listened to it streaming from Qobuz. Unfortunately, it is offered for download without the booklet, which I would sadly miss in the case of Młynarski, about whom I know nothing.

I listened via Naxos Library

Today

Weinberg

Symphonies 4 & 6

Moscow Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra

Kirill Kondrashin

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
      I really enjoyed this when I listened to it streaming from Qobuz. Unfortunately, it is offered for download without the booklet, which I would sadly miss in the case of Młynarski, about whom I know nothing.
      Hello DublinJimbo,

I'll send you the notes if you want? Just PM me.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Mozart
        Exsultate, jubilate, KV165
        Edith Mathis (soprano),
        Staatskapelle Dresden / Bernhard Klee
        Coronation Mass, KV317
        Missa Brevis, KV220
        Ave verum corpus, KV618
        Soloists: Edith Mathis; Norma Procter; Tatiana Troyanos; Donald Grobe, Horst Laubenthal, John Shirley-Quirk
        Regensburger Domchor,
        Chor und Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks / Rafael Kubelik
        No recording details given
        Deutsche Grammophon

‘Rediscovered Treasures from Dresden’
        Anonymous

Concerto in A major for violin, strings & bc
        Concerto in D minor for violin, strings & bc
        Concerto in D major for violin, 2 oboes, 2 horns, bassoon, strings & bc
        Concerto in F major for 5 obbligati
        Concerto in A minor for violin, strings & bc
        La Folia Barockorchester / Robin Peter Müller (solo violin & direction)
        Recorded 2016, Altes Stadtbad Annaberg-Buchholz, Saxony
        Deutsche Harmonia Mundi - fascinating release from 2017

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Hiya Stan! Not heard of that orchestra before(La Folia Barockorchester). Any good?

Rachmaninov
          Piano Sonata No.2 in Bb minor, Op.36(or.ver.1913)
          9 Etudes Tableaux, Op.33; Russian Rhapsody for two Pianos(*)
          Romance in G(**); 6 Moments Musicaux, Op.16;
          Morceaux de Fantasie,Op.3 Nos1-5
          Vladimir Ashkenazy(piano) (*)Andre Previn(**)Vovka Ashkenazy(pianos).
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Arnold Bax
            • Sep 2017

William Havergal Brian:

Symphony No 1 'The Gothic'

Lots of Czech people

Slovak Philharmonic/Lenard

Marco Polo 8.223280-281

This is quite the most marvellous piece of music of all time (after Beethoven natch) and I'm so glad that it has been cut to disc. Deep love

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Hiya Stan! Not heard of that orchestra before(La Folia Barockorchester). Any good?
              Hello Maestro,

La Folia, a top drawer German period instrument orchestra.

I'm trying to select my Grand National horses for tomorrow. I might end up using a pin! My Grandma picked her horses that had names like John's Lad and Susan's Girl etc.

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

Waltraud Meier singing Strauss: Vier letzte Lieder.

Friend of mine used to pick Grand National runners either with a Welsh name or Welsh connection or the No. 6. He wasn't even Welsh. It often worked! Good luck everybody!
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                  There's something irrepressibly joyful about Beethoven 4 & 8, especially the finales...
                  Currently listening to no. 7.

Let's face it, there's something very optimistic about Beethoven as a whole.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                    https://live.philharmoniedeparis.fr/...in-wagner.html

Friend of mine used to pick Grand National runners either with a Welsh name or Welsh connection or the No. 6. He wasn't even Welsh. It often worked! Good luck everybody!
                    Hello Pianorak,

Great choice with that Waltraud Meier video of Strauss' Vier letzte Lieder. I have Meier's CD of Vier letzte Lieder with pianist Joseph Breinl from 2007 on Farao. A few years ago I heard Meier sing Wagner arias in turn with Rene Pape conducted by Daniele Gatti at the Dresden Frauenkirche. Marvellous, unforgettable!

Names with a Welsh connection eh! It's good job that I don't pick names for the Grand national with an Irish connection, there are so many of them.
                    Last edited by Stanfordian; 13-04-18, 16:40.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

SKALKOTTAS Piano Concerto No.1; Ouverture Concertante; The Maiden and Death.
                      Madge/Iceland SO/Christodoulou. BIS CD 1999.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that few people seem to get the Skalkottas bug; and recordings have all but dried up, even from BIS, despite much of interest unrecorded (The sole Greek Radio recording of the Classical Symphony for winds, basses and percussion is now on youtube, but with such pitch problems as to be all but unlistenable).
                      The Concerto here is Schoenbergian-serialist but in Skalk's own very concise, multilayered and above all explosively dramatic manner. With, crucially, one of his signature shadowy nocturnes as slow movement. Very affecting. The Concert Overture is in his Greek-Folk (but still modernist) influenced late style, an astonishingly original piece of metallic textures and restless moods, rhythms and motifs surging and evolving to the dramatic end. I can't imagine anyone hearing this for the first time not being a little impressed, if not fairly startled!

NIELSEN Symphony No.4 "L'Inestinguibile".
                      Frankfurt RSO/Paavo Jarvi. RCA 24/44.1 Download (Qobuz).
                      Terrific 4th in well-balanced sound; not a hifi spectacular, but radio-orchestra neutral, weighty and clear, winds emphasised more than usual, very rewardingly so. Perfectly judged tempi too.
                      I never felt I did this cycle justice as it came out after several others around the Nielsen-150th (Oramo, Gilbert, Storgards...), and after enjoying 1 & 2 I couldn't listen to any more Nielsen then. After this excellent 4th I'm very keen to carry on with 5 and 6!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                        https://live.philharmoniedeparis.fr/...in-wagner.html

Many thanks for the link. I didn't know that the Philharmonie had a video archive - another fertile source for concerts, of which a prime example may be found by scrolling down the page: François-Xavier Roth and Les Siècles in Boulez and Debussy, preceded by a piece for a gamelan orchestra. The hall acoustics, which I know that TS has found wanting, seem to suit Les Siècles and the wonderful F-X R.

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          . . . I didn't know that the Philharmonie had a video archive . . .
                          I didn't either, but came across it today when looking for Cite de la Musique. As you say, another fertile source for concerts!
                          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Zemlinsky: String Quartet No 2 (1914)

La Salle Quartet.

This offers me almost all I ask of music: what an extraordinary work and performance - somewhat enhommaged to the Schoenbergs Op 5 and 10, but harmonically and spiritually closer to Mahler, whose influence now came more to prominence than had earlier been the case in his music: the scherzo section of this single-movement work could almost be heard as a further development of Mahler's approach in the fourth movement of his Tenth Symphony in terms of contrapuntal complexity. I can't recommend this work more strongly to people who gain more from complexity with successive listenings.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

La Salle Quartet.

This offers me almost all I ask of music: what an extraordinary work and performance - somewhat enhommaged to the Schoenbergs Op 5 and 10, but harmonically and spiritually closer to Mahler, whose influence now came more to prominence than had earlier been the case in his music: the scherzo section of this single-movement work could almost be heard as a further development of Mahler's approach in the fourth movement of his Tenth Symphony in terms of contrapuntal complexity. I can't recommend this work more strongly to people who gain more from complexity with successive listenings.
                              Arguably the finest of the four, methinks, although the other three are also pretty good! (and I presume you to mean Schönberg Op. 7 - D minor Quartet - rather than Op. 5 - Pelleas, of which the former strikes me as one of the all time great quartets)...

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

La Salle Quartet.
                                Oh yes, what a great piece, and thanks for reminding us of it - I haven't listened to that for ages and it would suit my mood this evening very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X