X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

JLW, I see on Spotify there is a recording of those symphonies by Roussel, but they had been reissued on the Naive label. I haven't heard the recording yet so I can't quantify on it at the moment.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bella Kemp
      • Aug 2014

With hubby away for the weekend I find myself heading towards the cd shelf and realising how much I still enjoy cds - radio stations and spotify can never really compete and we should support musicians more by keeping on buying them. I love browsing the shelf and reading the sleeve notes and then listening. Tonight it's Bartok's string quartets 1, 3 and 5 played by The Hungarian Quartet. Wonderful.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
        JLW, I see on Spotify there is a recording of those symphonies by Roussel, but they had been reissued on the Naive label. I haven't heard the recording yet so I can't quantify on it at the moment.
        No, the Auvidis Valois (Naive) issue is of different live performances from Edinburgh and Paris, in 1964 and 1966 respectively, but with the (somewhat scrappy) ONF rather than the vividly characterised immediacy of the Lamoureux Orchestra on Erato. They seem to me inferior both sonically (No.3 is in mono, No.4 slightly distant fuzzy stereo ) and musically, despite some interesting points of interpretative variation.

Roussel
        Symphony No.4. Lamoureux Orchestra/Munch. Erato CD 1991 rec.1965...
        So,I squeezed in this Erato just now.... wow.... Nobody gets that finger-snapping champagne-fizz to the finale colours and rhythms quite like Munch does here....and those 1960s Parisian trumpets make a musical world-of-a-difference on their own, especially in the Lento Molto climaxes.
        No.4 is too often lined up unfavourably as sister-of-the-more-famous 3rd. Really unfairly I feel; its 22 or 23 minutes are crammed with inventive and expressive brilliance. And this performance is the one to uncloud your perceptions.
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 18-03-18, 05:21.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          No, the Auvidis Valois (Naive) issue is of different live performances from Edinburgh and Paris, in 1964 and 1966 respectively, but with the (somewhat scrappy) ONF rather than the vividly characterised immediacy of the Lamoureux Orchestra on Erato. They seem to me inferior both sonically (No.3 is in mono, No.4 slightly distant fuzzy stereo ) and musically, despite some interesting points of interpretative variation.

Roussel
          Symphony No.4. Lamoureux Orchestra/Munch. Erato CD 1991 rec.1965...
          So,I squeezed in this Erato just now.... wow.... Nobody gets that finger-snapping champagne-fizz to the finale colours and rhythms quite like Munch does here....and those 1960s Parisian trumpets make a musical world-of-a-difference on their own, especially in the Lento Molto climaxes.
          No.4 is too often lined up unfavourably as sister-of-the-more-famous 3rd. Really unfairly I feel; its 22 or 23 minutes are crammed with inventive and expressive brilliance. And this performance is the one to uncloud your perceptions.
          As usual, many thanks.

I was going to go to a concert for the first time in ages this afternoon, the world famous Black Dyke Band(formerly known as the Black dyke Mills band. They have just been recently crowned Yorkshire Champions three years running. How I miss playing in a brass band! My last Brighton & Hove City Brass reached up to the First Section when I played but then internal politics got in the way, unfortunately and I don't like this situation ever and the band are only now climbing up the ladder now.
          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• soileduk
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Not bad, but if you really want to hear how it should go....https://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphonies-...mphonies+munch
            From the mouth of Roussel's chief chevalier.
            There are few CDs I treasure more.

Can't see it on Qobuz, maybe Spotify will have it. But the CD is quite cheap and good-sounding (much better than the later over-processed Elatus reissue) - why not spoil yourself. Get momox to fly it over - they're usually pretty quick.
            I love the recordings by Janowski, Eschenbach and Cluytens (a French band - especially a 1960s one - is a must in this music), but this Munch reading is the one I go back to most. The ecstatic first climax in the 3rd's adagio (at the end of the fast section) has never been matched, let alone surpassed, for sheer abandoned euphoria. Those trumpets!
            Thanks for the steer Jayne. In the mail now.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Mahler
              Symphony No. 4
              Juliane Banse (soprano)
              Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks/Bernard Haitink
              Rrecorded live November 2005 Philharmonie, Munich
              BR-Klassik – from a new box of complete symphonies

Mozart - Italian Opera Arias - Peter Schreier
              Arias from La Clemenza di Tito, La finta semplice, Ascanio in Alba, Lucio Silla, Il re pastore, Idomemeo, La finta giardiniera
              Peter Schreier (tenor)
              Staatskapelle Berlin/Otmar Suitner
              Recorded 1970 Christuskirche Berlin
              Berlin Classics
              Last edited by Stanfordian; 18-03-18, 16:55.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Heiner Goebbels
                Songs of Wars I have seen
                with words by Gertrude Stein

I thought I'd revisit this, since I found it on my hard drive - and might have inadvertently deleted it!

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
                  With hubby away for the weekend I find myself heading towards the cd shelf and realising how much I still enjoy cds - radio stations and spotify can never really compete and we should support musicians more by keeping on buying them. I love browsing the shelf and reading the sleeve notes and then listening. Tonight it's Bartok's string quartets 1, 3 and 5 played by The Hungarian Quartet. Wonderful.
                  Those Bartok Quartets....what label were they on? I think in the States it was the Vox label, because I remember owning them on a set of lps with so much vinyl noise that that I thought Bartok had even more tricks up his sleeve than what actually is in the score. I’d love to hear them digitally.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Has anyone mentioned the Deneve recordings on Naxos? I own them but I have never heard The comparators

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      Has anyone mentioned the Deneve recordings on Naxos?
                      Yup - teamsaint in #3540.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                        Mahler
                        Symphony No. 4
                        Juliane Banse (soprano)
                        Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks/Bernard Haitink
                        Rrecorded live November 2005 Philharmonie, Munich
                        BR-Klassik – from newly released box of complete symphonies

Mozart - Italian Opera Arias - Peter Schreier
                        Arias from La Clemenza di Tito, La finta semplice, Ascanio in Alba, Lucio Silla, Il re pastore, Idomemeo, La finta giardiniera
                        Peter Schreier (tenor)
                        Staatskapelle Berlin/Otmar SuitnerRecorded 1970 Christuskirche Berlin
                        Berlin Classics
                        Stan—what new cycle?

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          You two aren’t giving much away, are you ?!

Nice cover, for starters. I’ll give it a spin later.

Currently: Roussel Symphony #3.
                          RSNO. Deneve.

Pretty excellent recording, I would say.
                          Thanks, Ferney. I do like this recording, and packaging, but as I mentioned, lack any sense of reference here

Comment

• Bella Kemp
                            • Aug 2014

Those Bartok Quartets....what label were they on? I think in the States it was the Vox label, because I remember owning them on a set of lps with so much vinyl noise that that I thought Bartok had even more tricks up his sleeve than what actually is in the score. I’d love to hear them digitally.
                            DG - Legendary Recordings from the DG Catalogue. I think from what I can make out that the original recordings were made in 1962 on Polydor. The vinyl noise has all been edited out - although somehow I think I'd like a bit of old fashioned clicks and hisses for all the sense of time and place that they would conjure!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Stan—what new cycle?
                              Hello richardfinegold,

It's a new to be released box from 'Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks' of Mahler symphonies 1-9 recorded live on BR-Klassik.

Mahler: Symphonien 1-9. BR Klassik: 900714. Buy 11 CDs online. Chor & Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Colin Davis, Daniel Harding, Bernard Haitink, Mariss Jansons, Yannick Nézet-Seguin

Most of the recordings have been released before but I have not come across the recordings of No's 4 & 8.

Conductors: Sir Colin Davis (No. 8), Daniel Harding (No. 6), Bernard Haitink (No's 3 & 4), Mariss Jansons (No's 2, 5, 7, 9), Yannick Nézet-Seguin (No. 1)
                              Recorded 1996–2016 Herkulessaal (Sym 1) & Philharmonie, Munich
                              Last edited by Stanfordian; 18-03-18, 16:54.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                                Hello richardfinegold,

It's a new to be released box from 'Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks' of Mahler symphonies 1-9 recorded live on BR-Klassik.

Mahler: Symphonien 1-9. BR Klassik: 900714. Buy 11 CDs online. Chor & Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Colin Davis, Daniel Harding, Bernard Haitink, Mariss Jansons, Yannick Nézet-Seguin

Most of the recordings have been released before but I have not come across the recordings of No's 4 & 8.

Conductors: Sir Colin Davis (No. 8), Daniel Harding (No. 6), Bernard Haitink (No's 3 & 4), Mariss Jansons (No's 2, 5, 7, 9), Yannick Nézet-Seguin (No. 1)
                                Recorded 1996–2016 Herkulessaal (Sym 1) & Philharmonie, Munich
                                I'll have to have a look!
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X