• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    Schoenberg's violin concerto.

I-Poco allegro-VivaceII-Andante graziosoIII- Finale: AllegroHilary Hahn, violinSwedish Radio Symphony OchestraEsa-Pekka Salonen, dir.

Liking it very much.
    Thanks JK!

Schoenberg:
    Violin Concerto
    Sibelius
    Violin Concerto
    Hilary Hahn(Violin), Swedish RSO,
    Esa-Pekka Salonen,.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

I wasn't planning this but I seem to have been listening to Mahler all day: Jonathan Nott's 7th and 3rd (the former not so very distinguished, the latter really very good indeed) and now Solti's 8th, the first Mahler I ever heard, as I mentioned recently on another thread. Very hard to get an idea of the music taking place in an actual physical space, but I guess that's what the engineers wanted.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Just finished listening to Debussy - Pelléas et Mélisande - VPO/Abbado.

What I weird story. I am reminded of Breton's Nadja.
        What 'a' weird story, I meant, obviously.

Wagner - Tristan and Parsifal preludes, here. Obviously not simultaneously.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Schoenberg's violin concerto.

I-Poco allegro-VivaceII-Andante graziosoIII- Finale: AllegroHilary Hahn, violinSwedish Radio Symphony OchestraEsa-Pekka Salonen, dir.

Liking it very much.
          This is by far the best performance of it that I've ever heard. In fact, it's a work that I simply couldn't get my head around for years until I heard Hilary Hahn play it and then it immediately clicked for me. Interesting that her recording of it pairs it with the - erm - slightly better known Sibelius Concerto! Had Schönberg himself heard this performance I suspect that he'd have dropped his wry comment abbout having contributed another unplayable work to the repertoire...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            This is by far the best performance of it that I've ever heard. In fact, it's a work that I simply couldn't get my head around for years until I heard Hilary Hahn play it and then it immediately clicked for me. Interesting that her recording of it pairs it with the - erm - slightly better known Sibelius Concerto! Had Schönberg himself heard this performance I suspect that he'd have dropped his wry comment abbout having contributed another unplayable work to the repertoire...
            Indeed, ahinton - an extraordinary coupling, rather akin to a modern-day job interview. Perhaps it should be on offer at half-price, for them as doesn't like Schoenberg... or Sibelius.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

Tristan and Parsifal preludes, here. Obviously not simultaneously.
              Try it some time maybe... I've mentioned this before, but I once managed, through the magic of computers, to accidentally put on pieces by Heinz Holliger and Morton Feldman (neither of which I'd heard before) simultaneously. The result was absolutely fantastic. Unbelievable, in fact; and as soon as I worked out what had happened it didn't sound quite the same.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                Try it some time maybe... I've mentioned this before, but I once managed, through the magic of computers, to accidentally put on pieces by Heinz Holliger and Morton Feldman (neither of which I'd heard before) simultaneously. The result was absolutely fantastic. Unbelievable, in fact; and as soon as I worked out what had happened it didn't sound quite the same.
                But did it inspire your writing?

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  I will try it some time.

I recall listening to Debussy's string quartet and some Hi-Tech (a form of fast psytrance) on simultaneously, as a form of compromise with a friend. One tended to drown out the other. Not a good combo.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

What 'a' weird story, I meant, obviously.

Wagner - Tristan and Parsifal preludes, here. Obviously not simultaneously.
                    JK, I wish you'd put the recording details on! I am very curious!!

BTW that Schoenberg/Sibelius recording I found on Spotify! Really good it is too!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 8 (MPO, Kondrashin, live in Prague), this a DAB mp2 introduced by Rob Cowan. Presumably I saved it to an SD card from a CD Masters broadcast. Much swifter in general than the Melodiya CD, if a tad scrappier in parts.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        But did it inspire your writing?
                        When I had worked out what was going on, it struck me as not dissimilar to something I might have written, I think because of the simultaneous presence of very detailed and intricate activity (Holliger) and slower textural evolutions (Feldman). It's a bit like what you might call the "what if" stage of a composition, where you imagine some combination of musical elements and "listen" to it inwardly (or indeed listen to it outwardly, if making electronic music) to hear whether it might form the starting point for something. So, apart from being accidental, listening to those two pieces simultaneously was not so very different from how the composition process sometimes goes anyway.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          . . . that Schoenberg/Sibelius recording I found on Spotify! Really good it is too!
                          Even better without Spotify's lossy compression , i.e. on CD or a lossless download. However, I fear there is no high resolution download easily to be found.

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            JK, I wish you'd put the recording details on! I am very curious!!
                            Just via youtube:

Prelude to the first act from Wagner's "Tristan und Isolde", german opera in three acts. Author: Richard Wagner (1813-1883).Conductor: Wilhelm Furtwangler & ...

Richard Wagner's beautiful 'Parsifal' prelude. As performed by the Wiener Philharmoniker, conducted by Georg Solti.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Roussel
                              Symphony #3.
                              Brno PO / Neumann

Another attempt to get to grips with Roussel.
                              ( me, not the performers.)
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                                • Nov 2011

Beethoven: Rondo a capriccio in G major op. 129 ('Rage over a lost penny' – arr. for Orchestra by Erwin Schulhoff)
                                Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin / Roland Kluttig
                                New to me. A masterly orchestration.

Erwin Schulhoff:

Suite op. 37
                                Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks / James Conlon

Suite dansante en jazz
                                Caroline Weichert (piano)

Five Pieces for String Quartet
                                Quatuor Voce

String Sextet op. 45
                                Spectrum Concerts Berlin

All wonderful, each in its own way, but it's the Sextet which is the masterwork.

Comment

Working...
                                X