• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    Hiya Pet! I had a gap. It was a wild wet and windy day down here and I thought oh yes! It was rather stimulating for me, actually! I wrote quite a lot of music of that! I have the box set of Maris Jansons's Shostakovich's cycle. With the orchestra in question, yes, it was called St Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra(Leningrad). It was recorded 22-23-IV-1988.
    Playing now:-
    Richard Strauss Tone Poems Vol.1
    Ein Heldenleben, Op.40; Tod und Verklarung, Op.24.
    SWR Sinfionieorchester Baden-Baden in Frieberg,
    Francois Xavier Roth.

How the heck did I miss this recording!!

Mahler
    Symphony No.5 in C# minor.
    Gurzenich-Orchester, Franz Xavier Roth.
    Last edited by BBMmk2; 16-01-18, 12:42.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

J.S. Bach
      Brandenburg Concertos No’s 1–6
      Berliner Barock Solisten/Reinhard Goebel
      Recorded 2016 Jesus-Christus-Kirche, Dahlem, Berlin
      Sony Classical

Mozart
      Exultate, jubilate, KV165
      Edith Mathis (soprano),
      Staatskapelle Dresden/Bernhard Klee
      Coronation Mass, KV317
      Missa Brevis, KV220
      Ave verum corpus, KV618
      Soloists include Edith Mathis; Norma Procter; Tatiana Troyanos; Donald Grobe, Horst Laubenthal, John Shirley-Quirk
      Regensburger Domchor,
      Chor und Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks/Rafael Kubelik
      Deutsche Grammophon

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

Mahler: Kindertotenlieder

(a) Brigitte Fassbaender/Munich Philharmonic Orchestra/Sergiu Celibidache
        (b) Alice Coote/Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra/Marc Albrecht

Two very distinctive performances: Fassbaender in Munich in 1983 is in better voice than for Chailly ten years later - and the Munich PO sound better than the NDR PO under Tennstedt from 1980. She may not have a beautiful voice but the intelligence of her singing is such that one soon forgets that she is no Janet Baker or Christa Ludwig in terms of tone. I'm haunted by her performance of, "In Diesem Wetter".

Coote can divide opinion. The DLvdE I heard her sing a couple of years ago in the chamber version at the Edinburgh Festival put me firmly in the "pro" camp. This disc (of the three song cycles) strikes me as rather special, both for the quality of the singing (again, the intelligence on show in her response to the words) and for the accompaniments by March Albrect and his Dutch orchestra. State-of-the-art SACD recording, too, with the voice beautifully balanced with the orchestra.

Stravinsky: Chant funèbre, op.5/Feu d'Artifice, op.4/Scherzo Fantastique, op.3/Le Faune et la Bergère, op.2/Le Sacre du printemps

Sophie Koch (mezzo)/Lucerne Festival Orchestra/Riccardo Chailly (CD - and then the 24/96 download)

As Petrushka has already intimated, orchestral playing of the very highest quality in a fascinating programme, conducted by someone who strikes me as being at the height of his very considerable musical game. The recording makes the best of the somewhat intractable Lucerne Culture and Convention Centre acoustic. I thought that the CD was a bit congested at times so splashed out on the Hi-Res download, which duly opens out the sound to the music's advantage. Most highly recommended, particularly to anyone who might not be convinced by early Stravinsky.
        Last edited by HighlandDougie; 16-01-18, 15:34.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Ferneyhough - Transit.

Happy 75th Ferneyhough!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            Ferneyhough - Transit.
            Happy 75th Ferneyhough!
            Eeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!

I'd missed that!

Like the BBC.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

La Belle Execentrique.

Patricia Petibon, soprano.

Susan Manoff.

This disc comes courtesy of Edinburgh City Libraries. I've never heard Ms. Petibone before although I'm very much aware of her. Interesting repertoire!

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Eeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!

I'd missed that!

Like the BBC.
                Well, it's today isn't it? Still time in which to acknowledge it or something.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Now: Ferneyhough - Contraccolpi.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

SCHÖNBERG
                    Five Orchestral Pieces Op.16; Chamber Symphony No.2; Variations Op. 31; Chamber Symphony No.1 (full orchestral version).
                    Berlin RSO/Leipzig RSO/Heinz Rögner. Live Performances, various Berlin & Leipzig venues, 1980-89. Weitblick CDs.

There's a lovely freshness & freedom to these concert readings, slightly softer-edged than usual, drawing out the colours and melodic lines moment-to-moment, definitely "making it new" for me. Quite a change from the famous studio recordings from Boulez, Dohnanyi, Abbado etc.
                    As ever, that German Radio Orchestra sound, so idiomatic in this repertoire, is a pleasure in itself, especially richly textured in the lower registers. Great sense of "liveness" and ambience too. The set has 2 CDs of Schoenberg, and two of the Brahms Symphonies, which may be ​next up.....

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      SCHÖNBERG
                      Five Orchestral Pieces Op.16; Chamber Symphony No.2; Variations Op. 31; Chamber Symphony No.1 (full orchestral version).
                      Berlin RSO/Leipzig RSO/Heinz Rögner. Live Performances, various Berlin & Leipzig venues, 1980-89. Weitblick CDs.

There's a lovely freshness & freedom to these concert readings, slightly softer-edged than usual, drawing out the colours and melodic lines moment-to-moment, definitely "making it new" for me. Quite a change from the famous studio recordings from Boulez, Dohnanyi, Abbado etc.
                      As ever, that German Radio Orchestra sound, so idiomatic in this repertoire, is a pleasure in itself, especially richly textured in the lower registers. Great sense of "liveness" and ambience too. The set has 2 CDs of Schoenberg, and two of the Brahms Symphonies, which may be ​next up.....
                      Hmmmm, interesting.

I was listening to the second Schoenberg SQ last night (Ardittis, on youtube) and was looking around for a well recommended alternative listen to the Lasalles in the quartets .

Can't find a thread on hear that seems to cover it, so any thoughts welcome.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Hmmmm, interesting.

I was listening to the second Schoenberg SQ last night (Ardittis, on youtube) and was looking around for a well recommended alternative listen to the Lasalles in the quartets .

Boots the Lasalles into the long grass. Well, maybe not quite, but highly recommended:

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Pricey but superb:

... and, if you can find it anywhere:

Discover Arnold Schönberg: String Quartets by Aron Quartett. Find album reviews, track lists, credits, awards and more at AllMusic.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                            Boots the Lasalles into the long grass. Well, maybe not quite, but highly recommended:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schoenberg-...iotima+quartet
                            SNAP!

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Messiaen - Poemes pour Mi

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

... some £31 for five discs ain't too pricey.

Comment

Working...
                                X