Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Spurred by pg yesterday, who I hope is no longer trapped by his cat:

Tippett
    Symphony 1 and Symphony 2
    LSO/Davis
    Hi Pulcinella. Big white and tabby pussy cat is now ensconced on her throne!

I've listened to the Brabbins' Tippett 1 & 2 twice now and, if I'm really honesty, I'm just a shade disappointed. Not sure if it's the less than urgent tempi or the somewhat diffuse recording but the music making doesn't grab me by the throats in the way the classic Davis LSO version does. I'll try again after Christmas, (Tippett not exactly being the most festive of composers!), but if it doesn't work its magic first time then it's not terribly likely to improve.

Ah well. That's life.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

I've listened to the Brabbins' Tippett 1 & 2 twice now and, if I'm really honesty, I'm just a shade disappointed. Not sure if it's the less than urgent tempi or the somewhat diffuse recording but the music making doesn't grab me by the throats in the way the classic Davis LSO version does. I'll try again after Christmas, (Tippett not exactly being the most festive of composers!), but if it doesn't work its magic first time then it's not terribly likely to improve.

Ah well. That's life.
      Oh dear, sorry to read about that disappointment PG .But relieved that you are no longer pinned to the chair . Relieved also at the lack of double entredre responses to your earlier post.....

Currently Carols from Kings, previously

Haydn Creation.
      CBSO/ Rattle et al.

.......Which I really enjoyed. Some excellent performances by the solists I thought.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Ah well. That's life.
        Tippett 2 could be a DID for me. It'd have to be Colin Davis, though.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Just finished listening to lots of Vivaldi bassoon concertos and sonatas.

Now, prompted by earlier posts on here .....

Michael Tippett - Symphony #2
          LSO, Colin Davis.

Superb!

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            Just finished listening to lots of Vivaldi bassoon concertos and sonatas.

Now, prompted by earlier posts on here .....

Michael Tippett - Symphony #2
            LSO, Colin Davis.

Superb!
            Oddly enough, I'm sure the first movement of Tippett 2 is based on baroque themes so listening to Vivaldi is a great prelude. The Brabbin's isn't bad, it's just not as visceral as the Davis/LSO version.

Didn't Hickox record these symphonies with the Bournemouth Symphony? I must try to hear them!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Oddly enough, I'm sure the first movement of Tippett 2 is based on baroque themes so listening to Vivaldi is a great prelude. The Brabbin's isn't bad, it's just not as visceral as the Davis/LSO version.

Didn't Hickox record these symphonies with the Bournemouth Symphony? I must try to hear them!
              I have the Hickox recordings, but they fail to take flight for me. I was quite disappointed when they came out.

Interesting point about 1st mvt. Need to think about that.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Has Sir Simon recorded much Tippett? Perhaps he'll do a symphony cycle with the LSO. (After his George Lloyd cycle...!)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Has Sir Simon recorded much Tippett? Perhaps he'll do a symphony cycle with the LSO. (After his George Lloyd cycle...!)
                  It would be most welcome if Rattle recorded Tippett's symphonies, but I'd be excited if someone like Manze gave his attention to them.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

I heard Rattle and the CBSO perform the Tippett 4th in around 1996 (coupled with the Bruckner 7 - fantastic programming) but a recorded cycle with the LSO is a great idea.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Oddly enough, I'm sure the first movement of Tippett 2 is based on baroque themes so listening to Vivaldi is a great prelude.
                      - yes, Tippett was inspired to write the opening of the Symphony after hearing a Vivaldi Concerto:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        - yes, Tippett was inspired to write the opening of the Symphony after hearing a Vivaldi Concerto:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._2_(Tippett)
                        Of course I knew all this, but didn't want to appear fat-headed. I wanted fellow forumistas to catch up in their own time.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Do we know if he likes Tippett?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Do we know if he likes Tippett?
                            Do we know if he likes Beethoven?

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              Do we know if he likes Beethoven?
                              Can't be certain but on the basis of his recorded output he might like Beethoven more than Tippett....and there's no evidence to show if he likes Punk Rock!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                Can't be certain but on the basis of his recorded output he might like Beethoven more than Tippett....and there's no evidence to show if he likes Punk Rock!
                                Hard to know. LvB wrote a lot of Tippett's stuff for him, nice touch. So Simon might like them both equally.

Does Simon like punk? That's a pretty vacant question.

Comment

Working...
                                X