X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Enjoyably working my way through the latest cornucopia of live recordings from the 'BBC Legends' archive included in the latest 20CD collection (Vol 4) from ica. I've arrived at CD7, a record of a rather remarkable musical event. In 1968, when she was in her her eighties, Nadia Boulanger conducted the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus in three works by Lili Boulanger (commemorating the 50th anniversary of her sister’s death, aged 24) and the Requiem by her teacher, Gabriel Fauré.

I did not know Lili Boulanger's major work, a profound setting of the penitential Psalm 130, Du fond de l’ abîme (From the abyss I cry to you). She died shortly after its completion and it can be seen as her own requiem.

Worth noting that the concert was recorded in the Fairfield Hall, Croydon, a frequent haunt of ours when we lived there for a couple of years. It has been sad to read about its recent decline of as a venue for classical music.

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post

Hello richardfinegold,

It's a super performance of the Third that is one of my favourite Bruckner symphonies.​ I've sent you a PM.
      As I stated in the PM, I appear to have mixed up Gramophone January interview with Roth on the Fourth Symphony with some positive comments, probably including HD, on the 3rd.
      My apologies. I did listen to the Roth recording of the Third yesterday and was very impressed with the luminous performance. My attention did wander during the inner movements, but that happens with me during this work, as I don’t think those movements are as interesting as their corresponding movements in the symphonies that followed. Or perhaps its just me.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        Enjoyably working my way through the latest cornucopia of live recordings from the 'BBC Legends' archive included in the latest 20CD collection (Vol 4) from ica. I've arrived at CD7, a record of a rather remarkable musical event. In 1968, when she was in her her eighties, Nadia Boulanger conducted the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus in three works by Lili Boulanger (commemorating the 50th anniversary of her sister’s death, aged 24) and the Requiem by her teacher, Gabriel Fauré.

I did not know Lili Boulanger's major work, a profound setting of the penitential Psalm 130, Du fond de l’ abîme (From the abyss I cry to you). She died shortly after its completion and it can be seen as her own requiem.

Worth noting that the concert was recorded in the Fairfield Hall, Croydon, a frequent haunt of ours when we lived there for a couple of years. It has been sad to read about its recent decline of as a venue for classical music.
        I have this Boulanger compilation (mostly originally Everest, but reissued on French EMI with the addition of the 3 pièces), and you have prompted me to give it another spin.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...L._SL1024_.jpg

Comment

• Roger Webb
          • Feb 2024

Yes Roger Nichols on Ravel, although he did (at least!) two: the Master Musician and Ravel Remembered. But to put Ravel (and Debussy) into context and understand the milieu better, Lawrence Davies' The Gallic Muse and also the same author 's César Franck and his Circle - and we'll perhaps discover some of the other French composers of those exceptional times...my present obsession is Jean Cras.

Comment

• Roger Webb
            • Feb 2024

Speaking of biographies of French composers reminds me that an excellent one came out when I had just started to listen to Boulanger in the '80s it must have been (yes I had the Markevitch too along with his Faust and Helene). Léonie Rosenthal's monograph on Lili was a milestone in the appreciation of this now often played composer.

Comment

• oliver sudden
              • Feb 2024

There was a Diapason cover CD a while ago with a few of the Psalms but also Clairières dans le ciel sung by Eric Tappy. That was splendid.

The Ravel/Debussy thing for me is that some of Debussy is some of the most perfect music I know (La Mer, Pelléas & Mélisande…) but there’s somehow more Ravel that I could under no circumstances do without.

Good thing he wrote it then, eh?

Comment

• Master Jacques
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
                ...my present obsession is Jean Cras.
                Snap. Having come across Polyphème in the course of writing duties, I got rapidly hooked on his chamber and orchestral output, which offers rewarding depth as well as eternal, fresh appeal. This morning I listened to this over my morning coffee break, which was at least as good as having a biscuit:

Cras: Suite for flute and harp
                Juliette Hurel, Marie-Pierre Langlamet
                Timpani CD 1C1179

(Thank you to Timpani Records, for their Cras, Pierné and other wonderful issues).

Comment

• Roger Webb
                  • Feb 2024

I cannot do without Ravel or Debussy for long! I take a good dollop of both to France when I go over, but also Jean Cras, mentioned above. Instead of La Mer, the next time you are inclined to play it, try Cras's 'Journal de Bord (Ship's Log) - Cras was a naval officer most of his life, the aforementioned work was actually written at sea.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                    • Feb 2024

Ah Master Jacques, probably my favourite Cras CD! I was lucky enough to hear the Quintet for flt, hp and str trio when I was last in Paris - members of the Opera orchestra do Sunday lunchtime concerts at the Salle Garnier...worth looking out for. Do you know the Inghelbrecht sonata for flute and harp? Robert Aitken plays it on BIS CD 650.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Copland

Inscape
                      Connotations for orchestra
                      (NYPO/Bernstein)

Music for a great city
                      Statements
                      (LSO/Copland)

Violin sonata (Stern/Copland)
                      Duo for flute and piano (Shaffer/Copland)
                      Nonet for strings (Columbia String Ensemble/Copland)

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

[QUOTE=gurnemanz;n1298651]Enjoyably working my way through the latest cornucopia of live recordings from the 'BBC Legends' archive included in the latest 20CD collection (Vol 4) from ica. I've arrived at CD7, a record of a rather remarkable musical event. In 1968, when she was in her her eighties, Nadia Boulanger conducted the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus in three works by Lili Boulanger (commemorating the 50th anniversary of her sister’s death, aged 24) and the Requiem by her teacher, Gabriel Fauré.

Worth noting that the concert was recorded in the Fairfield Hall, Croydon, a frequent haunt of ours when we lived there for a couple of years. It has been sad to read about its recent decline of as a venue for classical music.[/QUOTE]

One of the most memorable concerts we saw at the Fairfield Halls featured a young Nigel Kennedy who had stepped in at short notice to play the Elgar violin concerto because Salvatore Accardo was indisposed. .If memory serves, this would have been in the early 1980s. On another occasion we saw James Galway and Marisa Robles play the Mozart concerto K299 with the English Chamber Orchestra.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Not right now but lined up for later:

The March 2024 BBC MM cover CD.

After the disappointment of 'Symphonic Landscapes' two months ago (no complete work despite the blurb; last month they acknowledged this and justified the release as being a special issue celebrating 50 years of the Scottish Chamber Orchestra), we now have three violin concertos, all taken from existing commercial releases.

Rachel Barton Pine (violin)
                          Dvorak Violin concerto (RSNO/Abrams)
                          Bruch Violin concerto (BBCSO/Litton)
                          Price Violin concerto 2 (RSNO/Heyward)

Comment

• oliver sudden
                            • Feb 2024

I cannot do without Ravel or Debussy for long! I take a good dollop of both to France when I go over, but also Jean Cras, mentioned above. Instead of La Mer, the next time you are inclined to play it, try Cras's 'Journal de Bord (Ship's Log) - Cras was a naval officer most of his life, the aforementioned work was actually written at sea.
                            I generally bring a good dollop of things French back from France with me rather than bringing coals to Newcastle Is it Paris you go to? I never fail to visit Mélomania if I'm in Paris and have a little time free.

I have an extreme weakness for the classic French orchestral colours—not only in the repertoire where they're obviously more appropriate, but in that repertoire I find it difficult to do without them. You very much have my attention re Jean Cras, I shall give him a go!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                              • Nov 2010

Most grateful for the recommendation. What an interesting man. The influence of his teacher (Duparc) can clearly be heard but the music has a distinctive voice. Quite why, I don't know, but at times Bax sprang to mind - and, more obviously, Frank Bridge.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                                • Feb 2024

Yes Oliver, Paris as well as other bits....most notably Grez-sur-Loing where Delius resided and wrote some of his most engaging music. We have been visiting Grez since 1979.

Unfortunately our flight has become the Disneyland shuttle...so we pick our travel times carefully! Used to visit record shops in Rue de la Coquette near Bastille and one just behind the Pantheon.
                                But music retailers have had a hard time there as here! I know, I was one.

Just finished d'Indy's Piano Quintet Op 81 lovely late work from his Agay period...anyone know it?

Comment

Working...
                                X