X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

How was the Roth Bruckner 3? I was reading a Roth interview in Gramaophone about the recording
    Currently listening to John Storgards and the BBC PO in this work so emboldened to repeat my rather gushingly positive response several weeks ago in this thread to the F-X R performance. I think that it’s rather fine, especially as the 1873 version can sometimes seem a bit all over the place. Turn up the volume and enjoy.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Symphony No. 2 by Villem Kapp, one of three works by Estonian composers on BBC MM 210, each conducted by a different Järvi (Neeme, Paavo and Kristjan)!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

I have spent the day listening to the numerous vplumes of Villa-Lobos' piano works by Sonia Rubinsky. I have about six of these and the music is fascinating. It strikes me that he was not incumbered by being a pianist and therefore was not restricted in how he wrote for the instrument. In my opinion, he is seriously under-rated. He was something of a maverick. The discs i have are recommended if anyone is unfamiliar.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Working through some of Mysaskovsky's symphonies. Just listened to 20 in E major Op 50, and now on 14 Op 37.
          USSR SO, Svetlanov.

These are/were a cheap download from Classic World Select of all the symphonies - though I also have the set on CD.

Perhaps not really that interesting, but I felt it was time to try some things I've not listened to before, or for some time.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Working through some of Mysaskovsky's symphonies. Just listened to 20 in E major Op 50, and now on 14 Op 37.
            USSR SO, Svetlanov.

These are/were a cheap download from Classic World Select of all the symphonies - though I also have the set on CD.

Perhaps not really that interesting, but I felt it was time to try some things I've not listened to before, or for some time.
            The review of the Alto set here is helpful, and suggests ways to find the notes to go with the set - which could be useful for anyone who needs them.

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

Thanks, Dougie. That's interesting.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Soir Païen (Pagan Evening) French mélodie and chamber music
                by Roussel, Caplet, Koechlin,
                Debussy, Hüe, Ibert, Delage, Emmanuel, Ravel, Gaubert

Anna Reinhold (mezzo-soprano) & Sabine Devieilhe (soprano)
                Emmanuel Olivier (piano), Alexis Kossenko (flute) &
                Magali Mosnier (flute)
                Recorded 2019 Église luthérienne Saint Pierre, Paris
                Aparté, CD

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  The review of the Alto set here is helpful, and suggests ways to find the notes to go with the set - which could be useful for anyone who needs them.

I hadn't spotted that some pages were missing!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

How was the Roth Bruckner 3? I was reading a Roth interview in Gramaophone about the recording
                    Hello richardfinegold,

It's a super performance of the Third that is one of my favourite Bruckner symphonies.​ I've sent you a PM.

Comment

• Pianorak
                      • Nov 2010

More a case of “would have liked to listen to” – Rachmaninov’s piano concerto no. 2 in tonight’s Radio 3 concert was almost unlistenable. I suspect microphone placement was to blame – and not for the first time. Maybe I should have posted this on the Grumble Thread?
                      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

Beethoven Symphonies. The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Bernard Haitink.

I've had much pleasure revisiting this forty-year old early-digital -era set, very much the equivalent of Weingartner's 1930s recordings, I think: reliable, comfortable, a good version for anyone new to the series, no gimmicks or eccentricities for instance, and if that sounds like faint praise it's not meant to be. There's a lot to be said for straightforward honesty.

Comment

• oliver sudden
                          • Feb 2024

Debussy Images, Cleveland/Boulez on DG.

Occasioned the thought I occasionally have: if I really HAD to choose between Debussy and Ravel then it would be Ravel in a canter.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Gounod
                            ‘Le tribut de Zamora’ grand opera in four acts (prem. 1881)
                            Judith van Wanroij (Xaima), Jennifer Holloway (Hermosa), Edgaras Montvidas (Manoel),
                            Tassis Christoyannis (Ben-Said), Boris Pinkhasovich (Handjar), Juliette Mars (Iglésia)

Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks,
                            Münchner Rundfunkorchester / Hervé Niquet
                            Recorded 2018 Prinzregententheater, Munich
                            Bru Zane, 2 CD-book

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

Interesting comment, oliver. For years I thought Ravel a little lightweight , apart from Daphnis et Chloe which I'd always loved ever since hearing Boulez conduct it at the Proms c. 1970, but in recent years I've come to appreciate him more. A good book is Ravel the Decadent by Michael J Puri (Oxford) which explains in great detail Ravel's highly individual approach to composition.

To understand Ravel's music I think one must try to understand the man. I've wondered if he was in some way transsexual . I don't think he had a physical relationship with anyone.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                                Interesting comment, oliver. For years I thought Ravel a little lightweight , apart from Daphnis et Chloe which I'd always loved ever since hearing Boulez conduct it at the Proms c. 1970, but in recent years I've come to appreciate him more. A good book is Ravel the Decadent by Michael J Puri (Oxford) which explains in great detail Ravel's highly individual approach to composition.

To understand Ravel's music I think one must try to understand the man. I've wondered if he was in some way transsexual . I don't think he had a physical relationship with anyone.
                                Another good book is Ravel, by Roger Nichols:

His biography of Poulenc is similarly rewarding:

Comment

Working...
                                X