X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Master Jacques
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    I must confess I've never heard of a 1947 Bohm Arabella, so you may well be right. I will investigate further. It just shows that one should never say 'first' or 'only' when discussing musical history!

(Later): To my surprise I have a copy, in one of those 'IntenseMedia' 10-CD boxes. I had assumed it was a radio tape from the Salzburg Festival, as I can find no sign that it was made available on disc at the time. I know it was on DG CDs inthe 1990s.

When I said 'first complete recording' I meant to distinguish it from the preceding Columbia highlights LP starring (need one add) Elisabeth Schwarzkopf .
    I checked with a Straussian obsessive, Smittims, and he tells me that the 1947 Böhm/VPO DG recording has one or two minute cuts, of little consequence. So, in any case, you are quite right about the Solti LP set being the first, absolutely complete recording. The 1986 Jeffrey Tate studio recording on Decca with Te Kanawa is also, I understand, complete.

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

Nevertheless I should have mentioned the 1947 Bohm had I remembered it. My reservation is that I don't think it was published on disc before the Decca in 1958. In the same way writers often refer to the Solti Ring as 'the first recording' when Wagnerites know it was recorded at the Met in the 1940s and at Bayreuth from 1951 onwards.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Mozart 'Exsultate, Jubilate!'
        'La Betulia liberata', K118/74c,
        aria 'Quel nocchier che in gran procella'
        Symphony No. 17 in G major, K129
        'Davide penitente', K469
        aria 'Lungi le cure ingrate'
        Church Sonata No. 3 in D major, K69
        Church Sonata No. 13 in G major, K274
        Church Sonata No. 4 in D major, K144
        Mass in C major, K317 'Coronation Mass' movement 'Agnus Dei'
        Church Sonata no. 4 in E flat major, K67
        'Exsultate, jubilate', K165
        'Vesperæ solennes de confessore', K339
        movement 'Laudate Dominum'
        Karine Deshayes (soprano)
        Les Paladins (period instruments) / Jérôme Corréas (direction)
        Recorded 2022 Théâtre de Poissy, France

Aparté CD, recent release

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

This one?
          Listen to your music in high quality
          Can’t open the link without a Qobuz account

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

Putting away the Xmas tree I was tempted to look through some old Gramophone records in the loft and bring some down to play. 139 011, Bruckner 9 BPO/Karajan , his 1966 recording and surprisingly only his second published Bruckner LP, suffered from a rubber anti-static mat which perished around 1980 and left tiny sticky lumps, impossible to remove totally. But with much cleaning it is at least playable. Although I have the 'Galleria' CD , this prompted me to listen once more to this old favourite and I had much satisfaction from it. Nice picture of Herbert on the front, which you don't get with the CD, it having for some odd reason a lot of dining chairs arranged on a mountain top. .

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Putting away the Xmas tree I was tempted to look through some old Gramophone records in the loft and bring some down to play. 139 011, Bruckner 9 BPO/Karajan , his 1966 recording and surprisingly only his second published Bruckner LP, suffered from a rubber anti-static mat which perished around 1980 and left tiny sticky lumps, impossible to remove totally. But with much cleaning it is at least playable. Although I have the 'Galleria' CD , this prompted me to listen once more to this old favourite and I had much satisfaction from it. Nice picture of Herbert on the front, which you don't get with the CD, it having for some odd reason a lot of dining chairs arranged on a mountain top. .
              Just finished watching a DVD of the Gewandhaus Quartet plating Mozart's 'Dissonance' Quartet (K465)

Comment

• Jonathan
                • Mar 2007

Now spinning, Alkan - The Complete Piano music, vol.6 - Character pieces and grotesqueries, absolutely incredible stuff!

Having a superb day after publishing my novel this morning
                Best regards,
                Jonathan

Comment

• gradus
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                  Now spinning, Alkan - The Complete Piano music, vol.6 - Character pieces and grotesqueries, absolutely incredible stuff!

Having a superb day after publishing my novel this morning
                  Crikey some posting! Congrats.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Karajan Bruckner cycle with the BPO doesn’t seem to get a lot of respect from music critics. I own it on Blu Ray Audio and I think it is superb.
                    You might want to try an Ultrasonic cleaning of that lp. The machines are expensive but there is a gent here who owns one that charges $5 per lp. One cleanup in the lifetime of the record should be adequate
                    Last edited by richardfinegold; 01-01-24, 15:07.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

I couldn’t resurrect the Blomstedt thread through the search engine here, but apparently he sustained another significant fall two weeks ago at age 96

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Rachmaninov 3rd Piano Concerto: Vladimir Viardo and Eduardo Mata, Dallas SO.

This is a freebie download, mentioned elsewhere - see the Bargains thread. This has the vitality of a live performance, rather than a perfect recording. The recording quality is good enough, but it's the sweep of the playing which marks this out. It has real forward movement and drive.

Few commercial recordings manage that - though they may be very good.

Note though that trying to get details via amazon is misleading, as many "reviewers" get this mixed up with Horowitz's performances and recordings - and those are also very good, but not the same as this. I think the Mexican sounding trumpet player gives it away that this isn't one of the East Coast orchestras, though of course the player might not have come from Mexico, but maybe the conductor, who did, encouraged that style.

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

I haven't heard of that recording of the Rachmaninov third concerto, Dave. Do you know the date of the recording and if it is a complete performance? So far, all the ones I've heard pre-1962 are cut,if slightly (e.g. Gilels).

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Brahms. Clarinet Quintet.

The Cleveland Quartet with Richard Stolzman, clarinet.

Im really enjoying these Cleveland discs. The recording are very good too with an excellent stereo spread.
                            Last edited by pastoralguy; 02-01-24, 12:24.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

I haven't heard of that recording of the Rachmaninov third concerto, Dave. Do you know the date of the recording and if it is a complete performance? So far, all the ones I've heard pre-1962 are cut,if slightly (e.g. Gilels).
                              Pre-empting Dave ... Viardo/Mata was recorded 1988. Discogs

Comment

• smittims
                                • Aug 2022

Thanks, gurnemanz.

I expect the Stolzman/Cleveland Brahms is superb. I still treasure Reg Kell's two recordings, with the Busch and Fine Arts quartets respectively. There's a real late-Brahms melancholy in the earlier one. And I still go back to 'Rubato Charlie' Draper and the Lener Quartet, recorded in 1928 at Petty France studios.

Comment

Working...
                                X