X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    Hi, Jonathan, I suggest you hear Richter play Schubert's F minor sonata. As you probably know, Schubert abandoned it in mid-flow, and that's just how Richter plays it, breaking off abruptly, on one occasion startling a Festival Hall audience
    ​​​Thanks for the advice smittims, I shall certainly investigate that!

Best regards,
    Jonathan

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Disk 53 of the DG Boulez The Conductor box, the first act of Schoenberg's Moses und Aron.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Véronique Gens ‘Nuits’
        Mélodies from Berlioz, Chausson, Fauré, Hahn, La Tombelle, Lekeu, Liszt, Louiguy, Massenet, Messager, Ropartz, Saint-Saëns & Widor
        (Transcriptions for string quartet & piano by Alexandre Dratwicki)
        Véronique Gens (soprano)
        I Giardini (period instruments)
        Recorded 2019 Salle Philharmonique de Liège, Belgium
        Alpha Classics, CD
        Last edited by Stanfordian; 09-10-23, 13:57.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

... good to see Antoine Louis Joseph Gueyrand Fernand Fouant de La Tombelle​ getting another airing!

(I am grateful to Stanfordian, a regular consumer, for having drawn my attention to this composer... )

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Haven't listened to this in a while. Sounding better than ever...

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

Hugh Wood's second violin concerto, 2011. Anthony Marwood, BBC S.O. Sir Andrew Davis.

One of Wood's best works, I think; I was a little disappointed with Epithalamium, though it had a very successful Prom performance .

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Szymanowski. Piano Works.

Krystian Zimerman, piano.

I was amazed to find this for 50p in a charity shop and even more surprised when it was announced as Gramophone’s keyboard winner in the Awards Issue. I don’t know this music at all and find it quite elusive. I’m looking forward to hearing it again soon.

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

Berwald, Symphony in E flat; Brahms, Requiem.

The San Francisco SO, Herbert Blomstedt.

I was late coming to appreciate this conductor. I missed his first set of the Nielsen symphonies as I bought the Unicorn set with the LSO and Ole Schmidt. But for anyone who wants a present-day conductor in thoroughly traditional style, he's he man.

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Beethoven - piano concerto no. 1 - Ronald Brautigam & Die Koelner Akademie/Willens

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Anna Netrebko – ‘Russian Album’
                      Opera arias from Glinka, Prokofiev, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky

Anna Netrebko (soprano)
                      Chorus and Orchestra of the Mariinsky Theatre / Valery Gergiev
                      Recorded 2005/06 Mariinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg
                      Deutsche Grammophon, CD

Tchaikovsky
                      Symphony No. 5
                      Liszt
                      Mazeppa, symphonic poem No. 6
                      Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks / Zubin Mehta
                      Recorded Live 2013, Philharmonie, Munich
                      BR Klassik, recent CD release

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                        Szymanowski. Piano Works.

Krystian Zimerman, piano.

I was amazed to find this for 50p in a charity shop and even more surprised when it was announced as Gramophone’s keyboard winner in the Awards Issue. I don’t know this music at all and find it quite elusive. I’m looking forward to hearing it again soon.
                        Streaming here now: not sure I'd have guessed the composer.

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                          Beethoven - piano concerto no. 1 - Ronald Brautigam & Die Koelner Akademie/Willens
                          No. 2 now.

Comment

• smittims
                            • Aug 2022

Grieg:Peer Gynt. The 'complete' incidental music. San Francisco Symphony/ Herbert Blomstedt.

This is one of those discs where they try to find a way of presenting the music alone, from a Theatre piece, in a way that will make sense and satisfying listening without the visual aspects of the stage action. Long stretches of spoken dialogue, without music, can be tiresome in audio alone (even in Die Zauberflote) .What you get here is the music, number by number , with occasionally someone shouting a few words in Norwegian.

I don't know how many people enjoy this sort of thing: Decca's Hary Janos, with Peter Ustinov and Istvan Kertesz, is another example. For me, I'm afraid, it emphasised the difference between the 'plums' in Grieg's music (the numbers recorded by Sir Thomas Beecham on a famous old HMV LP) and the rest. Am I the only one who finds Grieg uneven? The Concerto, the Lyric Pieces, the Holberg Suite, are lovely: the rest: oh dear...

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                              Grieg:Peer Gynt. The 'complete' incidental music. San Francisco Symphony/ Herbert Blomstedt.

This is one of those discs where they try to find a way of presenting the music alone, from a Theatre piece, in a way that will make sense and satisfying listening without the visual aspects of the stage action. Long stretches of spoken dialogue, without music, can be tiresome in audio alone (even in Die Zauberflote) .What you get here is the music, number by number , with occasionally someone shouting a few words in Norwegian.

I don't know how many people enjoy this sort of thing: Decca's Hary Janos, with Peter Ustinov and Istvan Kertesz, is another example. For me, I'm afraid, it emphasised the difference between the 'plums' in Grieg's music (the numbers recorded by Sir Thomas Beecham on a famous old HMV LP) and the rest. Am I the only one who finds Grieg uneven? The Concerto, the Lyric Pieces, the Holberg Suite, are lovely: the rest: oh dear...
                              Are you listening to a Blomstedt/SFSO collection?
                              I remember hearing the “complete” incidental music to Peer once and feeling that was enough for me, compared to just the Suites. However I wouldn’t generalize about the Composer by analyzing the complete work. A lot of incidental music by other composers are boring and best heard as excerpts. Have you ever heard the complete Egmont? Not anything worth salvaging after the overture, imo. Even Midsummer Nights Dream, which is one of the best of the genre, tires after a few listens to the whole shebang

Comment

• smittims
                                • Aug 2022

I was thinking of other works by Grieg. The Symphony was a disappointment, and there's a very dreary trio or quartet they used to play on Through the Night occasionally . Yes, Beethoven too was uneven, but I think that's because his best works are so good. I have a 35-minutes or so selection from 'Prometheus' (Eduard van Beinum) which is pleasant to hear occasionally. And 'Egmont' contains several short numbers recorded by Klemperer and Weingartner which are well-worth hearing.

Comment

Working...
                                X