Symphony No. 40 in G minor, K550
    Gerhard Oppitz (piano)
    NDR Sinfonieorchester / Günter Wand
    Recorded Live, 1983 (Schumann) & 1990 (Mozart), Musikhalle, Hamburg
    Profil, Edition Günter Hänssler, CD

Francois Couperin
    'Exultent superin' – 'Motets Choisis'
    Collegium Novum:
    Jonty Ward (dessus); Inigo Jones (dessus); Guy Cutting (haute-contre); Nick Pritchard (basse-taille);
    George Coltart (basse); Tom Edwards (basse); Duncan Saunderson (basse)

Choir of New College Oxford / Edward Higginbottom (organ)
    Recorded 2011, St. Michael and All Angels Church, Summertown, Oxford, England
    Novum, CD

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

Mostly Debussy preludes on his own Bluthner played by Anthony Tobin culminating in a really splendid Feux d'Artifice. Sounds very different to a modern Steinway.
      Pianist Anthony Tobin, recorded live in Brive-la Gaillarde at the Labenche museum on Debussy's piano.Related article: http://www.brivemag.fr/2014/06/11/anth...

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RichardB View Post

"Unashamedly romantic" covers everything I've heard by Korngold! I was seriously put off at one point by his violin concerto which I heard in a concert a couple of years ago and which gave me the impression of acres of forgettable note-spinning, but I'm finding that his chamber music is perhaps a different matter.
        Thank you. I didn't know the chamber music at all (which would be my favourite genre).

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mandryka
          • Feb 2021

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupDebussy: Préludes / Book 1, L. 117 - 10. La cathédrale engloutie · Jean-Rodolphe Kars · Claude DebussyDebussy: Pr...

Jean-Rodolphe Kars playing La Cathédrale Englutie. In Jean Barraqué's book on Debussy he says: A very young piano player, Jean-Rodolphe Kars, has just reinvented this music which has been played over and over again by other pianists in the past. He proposes a new version which is so rich in effects, colours and accents -- it's an interpretation which is both personal and insightful -- that it's tempting to put at at the top of the pile. (My (very bad probably) translation.)

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Carter - Clarinet Concerto

I'm enjoying this a lot.

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

Schubert. Symphony no.9 (well, it used to be, after it was no.7) in C. The Berlin Philharmonic/ Furtwangler, a Berlin concert from 1952 in the Titania Palast. Magnificent in every way.

Comment

• RichardB
                Banned
                • Nov 2021

Now playing: a recent (December 2022) release on Brilliant Classics of chamber music by Salvatore Sciarrino (1947-), quite unusual repertoire for this label, but an inexpensive place to begin for anyone who doesn't know the work of this prolific and fascinating composer. As usual with Sciarrino, each piece focuses obsessively on a few sounds, mostly strange and unexpected timbres, often rather ghostly in quality, a musical world he has made completely his own. Don't take too much notice of the liner notes though, they're awkwardly translated (I wouldn't be surprised if Google Translate was used) from a typically flowery Italian original which expends large amounts of pretentious verbiage on saying virtually nothing. The music doesn't need explaining, just attentive listening.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Richard Strauss –Staatskapelle Dresden – Otmar Suitner
                  Orchestral suite Der Bürger als Edelmann, Op. 60
                  Salome's Dance from Salome,
                  Waltz sequence from act 3 of Der Rosenkavalier
                  Symphonic interludes from Intermezzo
                  Prelude to Act 3 of Arabella
                  Interlude ‘Moonshine music’ from Capriccio
                  Staatskapelle Dresden / Otmar Suitner
                  Recorded 1963 Rundfunk der DDR, Dresden
                  Edition Staatskapelle Dresden vol. 36
                  Profil, CD

Rossini
                  ‘Messa di Gloria’
                  Eleonora Buratto (soprano), Teresa Iervolino (mezzo-soprano),
                  Lawrence Brownlee (tenor), Michael Spyres (tenor), Carlo Lepore (bass)
                  Orchestra e Coro dell’Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia / Antonio Pappano
                  Recorded 2022 live/studio, Auditorium Parco della musica, Rome
                  Warner Classics, CD

Comment

• Mandryka
                    • Feb 2021

Now playing: a recent (December 2022) release on Brilliant Classics of chamber music by Salvatore Sciarrino (1947-), quite unusual repertoire for this label, but an inexpensive place to begin for anyone who doesn't know the work of this prolific and fascinating composer. As usual with Sciarrino, each piece focuses obsessively on a few sounds, mostly strange and unexpected timbres, often rather ghostly in quality, a musical world he has made completely his own. Don't take too much notice of the liner notes though, they're awkwardly translated (I wouldn't be surprised if Google Translate was used) from a typically flowery Italian original which expends large amounts of pretentious verbiage on saying virtually nothing. The music doesn't need explaining, just attentive listening.
                    I like his stuff but there's a big but. In the chamber music esp. I find the gestures and sounds, though wonderful, become a bit too predictable. Like ...OK, cue a silence...now cue the cricket-like string riff...OK, now another silence...now cue the skittering woodwind key clicks..."Love Vanitas though, And Il suono e il tacere -- despite the predictability of the latter.

Someone once said to me the piano music's good, but I've never managed to get into it for some reason.
                    Last edited by Mandryka; 04-10-23, 18:41.

Comment

• RichardB
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                      the gestures and sounds ... become a bit too predictable
                      It's a music that depends on repetition and subtle variation, often between pieces as well as within them. The piece I found most engaging on his CD was Vagabond blu for solo accordion, which does some beautiful and mysterious things with the instrument that I'd never heard before. I actually love the way he keeps coming back to the same materials and seeking out new ways to combine and interrelate them. I don't find myself being particularly concerned about how "predictable" the results are. What I'm not so keen on is the way he sometimes makes direct references to other music, like the pseudo-Renaissance interludes in Luci mie traditrici or the fragments of Mendelssohn's violin concerto in Allegoria della Notte. ​

Comment

• Mandryka
                        • Feb 2021

It's a music that depends on repetition and subtle variation, often between pieces as well as within them. The piece I found most engaging on his CD was Vagabond blu for solo accordion, which does some beautiful and mysterious things with the instrument that I'd never heard before. ​

Vagabond blu is cool, I agree. And I especially like it when it’s taken slowly like on that recording. There’s a haunting quiet and calm version, on a CD by Mikko Luoma.

What I'm not so keen on is the way he sometimes makes direct references to other music, like the pseudo-Renaissance interludes in Luci mie traditrici or the fragments of Mendelssohn's violin concerto in Allegoria della Notte. ​
                        Yes I remember you don’t like that stuff from a comment here about Schnittke. I can handle it sometimes -like in Schnittke Symphony 2, and the tango in Schnittke’s Faust cantata.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Quintette Aquilon – ‘Bohemian wind quintets’
                          Foerster
                          Wind quintet in D major, Op. 95
                          Haas
                          Wind quintet, Op. 10
                          Pauer
                          Wind quintet
                          Feld
                          Wind quintet No. 2
                          Quintette Aquilon
                          Recorded 2009 Siemensvilla, Berlin
                          Crystal Classical, CD

Massenet – ‘Amoureuse’
                          Sacred and profane arias from Sainte Therese Prie, Amoureuse, La Grande Tante, Marie
                          Magdeleine, Eve, La Vierge, Hérodiade, Le Cid, Sappho, Grisélidis, Chérubin, Ariane

Rosamund Illing (soprano),
                          Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra, Richard Bonynge
                          Recorded 1998 Eugene Goossens Hall, ABC Sydney, Australia
                          Melba Recordings, reissued 2006 remastered SACD

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            Richard Strauss –Staatskapelle Dresden – Otmar Suitner
                            Orchestral suite Der Bürger als Edelmann, Op. 60
                            Salome's Dance from Salome,
                            Waltz sequence from act 3 of Der Rosenkavalier
                            Symphonic interludes from Intermezzo
                            Prelude to Act 3 of Arabella
                            Interlude ‘Moonshine music’ from Capriccio
                            Staatskapelle Dresden / Otmar Suitner
                            Recorded 1963 Rundfunk der DDR, Dresden
                            Edition Staatskapelle Dresden vol. 36
                            Profil, CD

Rossini
                            ‘Messa di Gloria’
                            Eleonora Buratto (soprano), Teresa Iervolino (mezzo-soprano),
                            Lawrence Brownlee (tenor), Michael Spyres (tenor), Carlo Lepore (bass)
                            Orchestra e Coro dell’Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia / Antonio Pappano
                            Recorded 2022 live/studio, Auditorium Parco della musica, Rome
                            Warner Classics, CD

I’ve always liked every Suitner disc that I encountered, which isn’t very many. Did he make his career behind the Iron Curtain?

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

His Tchaikovsky Serenade (also from Dresden) on DG was a favourite of Rob Cowan, and mine too.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

‘Romantique’ – Elīna Garanča
                                Opera arias from Donizetti, Saint-Saëns, Tchaikovsky, Gounod, Vacci, Berlioz & Lalo
                                Elīna Garanča (mezzo-soprano)
                                Filarmonica del Teatro Comunale di Bologna / YvesAbel
                                Recorded 2012 Salone Bolognini, Bologna
                                Deutsche Grammophon, CD

Shostakovich
                                Cello Concertos No’s 1 & 2
                                Gautier Capuçon (cello)
                                Mariinsky Orchestra / Valery Gergiev
                                Recorded 2013 Salle Pleyel, Paris (No. 1)
                                & 2014 Mariinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg

Erato, CD

Comment

Working...
                                X