X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

I first heard Beni Mora at the Proms conducted by Sargent, who had recorded it for HMV sometime earlier . I think Boult's Lyrita version the best.

Holst actually went to Algeria, for his health (the dry climate) on a holiday generously paid for by Balfour Gardiner (who later paid for the Planets first playthrough).

A very diffrent work for me today. Bruckner 9th, Furtwangler, recorded in the old Philharmonie shortly before it was destroyed.

Comment

• RichardB
      Banned
      • Nov 2021

I was happy to see this series of recordings because I've never got around to exploring Holst's work beyond the obvious, which was the first classical record I ever bought. Volume 1 with The Perfect Fool, The Golden Goose and The Morning of the Year didn't do much for me. Still volumes 3 and 4 to go.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
        I was happy to see this series of recordings because I've never got around to exploring Holst's work beyond the obvious, which was the first classical record I ever bought. Volume 1 with The Perfect Fool, The Golden Goose and The Morning of the Year didn't do much for me. Still volumes 3 and 4 to go.
        I haven't checked what's in the Chandos box, but you might also find this set of interest:

I'm not sure why it shows as 'not available'!

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Maureen Forrester - exquisite alto

Mahler Rückert Lieder
          Wagner Wesendonck
          Brahms Zigeunerlieder

on this marvellous 3CD compilation

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

The third part of Beni Mora is extraordinary, one of those pieces in which repetition works tremendously well and can work up to an enormous racket when given its head. Mystery to me why its not more popular.

Comment

• RichardB
              Banned
              • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              I haven't checked what's in the Chandos box, but you might also find this set of interest
              Thanks. That is possibly somewhat more than I need though!

Comment

• Mandryka
                • Feb 2021

Siegfried Mauser plays Wilhelm Killmayer’s nocturnes. Two Mauser Killmayer recordings have been released by Wergo for streaming today - one with nocturnes and one with etudes. The music sounds very good, as does the sound.

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

Bruckner Symphony no.8 (Haas ed.) Vienna Philharmonic, Wilhelm Furtwangler.

I first heard this on a pair of Unicorn LPs issued in conjunction withthe Furtwangler Society at a time when a revival of interest in his recordings was gaining momentum. Nowadays of course it's available in fine transfers by Orfeo and DG. I still find it amazing that such a fine performance was possible at that late stage in the war (October 1944).

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                    Bruckner Symphony no.8 (Haas ed.) Vienna Philharmonic, Wilhelm Furtwangler.

I first heard this on a pair of Unicorn LPs issued in conjunction withthe Furtwangler Society at a time when a revival of interest in his recordings was gaining momentum. Nowadays of course it's available in fine transfers by Orfeo and DG. I still find it amazing that such a fine performance was possible at that late stage in the war (October 1944).
                    Those Unicorn LPs constituted my very first Bruckner recording (1974) and it's a magnificent performance. I later had it on a Music and Arts CD but now have the DG transfer. Those apocalyptic trumpets at the first movement climax have to be heard to be believed, a desperate wartime cry across the abyss that's never been done better.

It was this recording that opened the Bruckner floodgates for me and 50 years on it shows no sign of abating.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• gradus
                      • Nov 2010

Horowitz's 1979 live recording of the first Mephisto Waltz, just jaw-dropping. Recorded in Chicago, I wonder if RFG was there?

Comment

• RichardB
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2021

Now playing: Holland Baroque playing (historically informed!) instrumental ensemble arrangements of JS Bach organ music, a newish recording on PentaTone. If you like ensemble versions of the Kunst der Fuge (which I do), this is an interesting and enjoyable listen, especially the Passacaglia. My only complaints are that most of the items are incomplete, for example we only get two movements of the C minor Trio Sonata, and that a couple of times decisions are made that sound unnecessarily unBachian. Never mind, I could easily have listened to three times as much of this stuff.

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

I expect you will know the Andrew Davis/ Neville Marriner version they recorded in 1974 with the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields; I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it.

My own favourite has always been Decca's 1965 Stuttgart/Munchinger, perhaps simply because I've always loved the sound of a string orchestra.

No surprises here today. Strauss Metamorphosen, Berlin PO, Furtwangler, and Bruckner's 7th, same artists but recorded, unusually, in Alexandria.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            I expect you will know the Andrew Davis/ Neville Marriner version they recorded in 1974 with the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields; I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it.

My own favourite has always been Decca's 1965 Stuttgart/Munchinger, perhaps simply because I've always loved the sound of a string orchestra.

No surprises here today. Strauss Metamorphosen, Berlin PO, Furtwangler, and Bruckner's 7th, same artists but recorded, unusually, in Alexandria.
                            I too have the ASMF version, but can well imagine a preference for Stuttgart/Münchinger (I have their Musical Offering, which is the 'filler' on the ASMF Art set).
                            Are you (and Richard) aware of the Esfahani (incorrectly spelt Esfahanai on the back cover!) version performed in (the?) Cadogan Hall with the Academy of Ancient Music at the Proms in 2012, which was released as a BBC MM CD?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-ART-FUGUE-BWV-1080/dp/B07B9XSW56/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=Esfahani+bach&qid=1695540332&s r=8-8

On balance, though, I think I prefer Tatiana Nikolayeva's keyboard version:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Art-Fugue-Tatiana-Nikolayeva/dp/B000002ZS9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=4JFJ3KECW92Z&keywords=tatiana+niko layeva+bach&qid=1695540433&sprefix=Nikolayeva+%2Ca ps%2C67&sr=8-3
                            Last edited by Pulcinella; 24-09-23, 08:38.

Comment

• RichardB
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2021

If we're talking about the Kunst der Fuge now, I found Reinhard Goebel's version revelatory when it came out, although these days I find myself listening more often to the Keller Quartet's recording. For me any more than one player per part defeats the object of having it played by an ensemble rather than a keyboard. I don't think I've listened to a keyboard version for many years.

Returning to Holland Baroque, I moved on to their disc of Telemann's transcriptions of Polish folk music and some of his compositions based on that tradition, which is also an enlightening listen and also annoyingly bitty. Now: the scintillating Fabio Biondi in Naïve's latest instalment of Vivaldi violin concertos. IMO nobody plays this music with more verve.

Comment

• smittims
                                • Aug 2022

I'm afraid I'm allergic to Mahan Esfahani, for one or two reasons!

For the Art of Fugue on piano, I prefer Charles Rosen. I was fascinated by his recording when it was released, and his reasons for playing the work on a modern grand.

Comment

Working...
                                X