X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

It had a similarly improvisatory approach, though with quite different phrasing. Staier toured the work with that Graf copy and, at every recital, included a selection of variations by other composers who responded to Diabelli's request. However, Ablogin does not exploit the percussive effects that were found in some instruments of the time.
    The Staier disc is marvellous, yes. There is also a 2 CD set from Eloquence with Jorg Demus doing the same thing with other composers in the Diabelli on period pianos. Taken from an old Archiv set on LP, well worth hearing.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

The Staier disc is marvellous, yes. There is also a 2 CD set from Eloquence with Jorg Demus doing the same thing with other composers in the Diabelli on period pianos. Taken from an old Archiv set on LP, well worth hearing.
      Heh, heh. The Demus was my introduction to this work as played on an instrument of Beethoven's time. I got my first copy in an HMV sale, back in the 1970s. I was totally bowled over by it. Unfortunately the LPs were badly warped in a house fire in the mid-1980s. The Beethoven, but not the selection of variations by other contributing composers, somehow turned up on a third party label CD some years ago but I only ever managed to get an mp3 of that, and was not particularly impressed with what I heard of the transfer to the digital domain. I was thus cock-a-hoop when the Australian Eloquence wing of Universal released the whole set on a pair of CDs. One of the many attractions of the Demus is that he used two different instruments for the non-Beethoven variations, thus giving the opportunity to hear something of the different timbres, etc. offered by instrument makers of the time. Another recording worth hearing is that by Gary Cooper, playing a Walter instrument (Channel Classics SACD).

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Albert Roussel – Chamber Music
        Le Marchand de Sable qui Passe, Musique de scène, Op. 13
        Impromptu for harp, Op. 21
        Sérénade for flute, string trio & harp, Op. 30
        Duo for bassoon and contrabass
        Divertissement for wind quintet & piano, Op. 6
        Trio for flute, viola & cello, Op. 40
        Prague Wind Quartet,
        Czech Nonet,
        Ivan Klansky (piano)
        Recorded 1995 Domovina Studio, Prague
        Praga da camera, CD

A really superb album of French music!
        One of the finest chamber music discs I have.

The 'Le Marchand de Sable qui Passe'- 'Musique de scène' is simply glorious.​
        Last edited by Stanfordian; 31-08-23, 13:58.

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Heh, heh. The Demus was my introduction to this work as played on an instrument of Beethoven's time. I got my first copy in an HMV sale, back in the 1970s. I was totally bowled over by it. Unfortunately the LPs were badly warped in a house fire in the mid-1980s. The Beethoven, but not the selection of variations by other contributing composers, somehow turned up on a third party label CD some years ago but I only ever managed to get an mp3 of that, and was not particularly impressed with what I heard of the transfer to the digital domain. I was thus cock-a-hoop when the Australian Eloquence wing of Universal released the whole set on a pair of CDs. One of the many attractions of the Demus is that he used two different instruments for the non-Beethoven variations, thus giving the opportunity to hear something of the different timbres, etc. offered by instrument makers of the time. Another recording worth hearing is that by Gary Cooper, playing a Walter instrument (Channel Classics SACD).
          Upon reflection, I think it was you who told me about the Demus discs, Bryn! It was no doubt your enthusiasm that prompted me to get hold of them.

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

The Roussel Serenade is a lovely work, which I still enjoy on SOL 60048, the classic LP by the Melos Ensemble. The Debussy Sonata, Ravel's Introduction and Allegro, and Guy-Ropatz' Prelude, Marine and Chansons complete rhe disc. There's a fine CD reissue by Alto.

Comment

• Mandryka
              • Feb 2021

I listened to a tremendous Diabelli Variations the other week, by Alexandre Rabinovich - it needs to be heard. He’s recorded it twice, one live and one studio, it was the studio one which I heard.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                Listening for the first time to this recording, enjoying it greatly, probably my favourite Pierrot Lunaire, but would have to check with the other three? recordings I have...
                ... and listening now to Ode to Napoleon Buonaparte it sounds pretty great - I must have listened to this piece before but do not recall having the same enthusiasm for it as I do now.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

... and listening now to Ode to Napoleon Buonaparte it sounds pretty great - I must have listened to this piece before but do not recall having the same enthusiasm for it as I do now.
                  Schoenberg contrived a 12-tone series that gives rise to tonal implications, much in the way Eisler had been doing a few years earlier in his series of Silone cantatas and the great Deutscher Sinfonie. This was Arnold's most political work. Check out my latest Eisler posts.

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

I've always loved Schoenberg's Ode to napoleon. I remember especially a performance as part of the London Sinfonietta's Schoenberg and Gerhard series with Gerald English throwing himself into the part and John Constable giving the piano a terrific work-over.

My last music wasn't quite so thrilling: Rachamninov's second concerto with Aleis Weissenberg, the Berlin Philharmonic and Herbert von Karajan. Oh dear, I don't think I'll listen to this again. Very slow in the first two movements, indeed the pianist and conductor seemed to be sleep-walking in the slow movement. And the recording balances the pianist's left hand so prominently one feels oneself sitting inside the piano, with all the arpegggio figurations grotesquely dominating. What could they have been thinking of?

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Schubert. Piano Works.

Olga Scheps, piano. Lovely playing of works I’m not familiar with. Surprised that a high profile artist on RCA Red Seal doesn’t appear to have been reviewed in Gramophone.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

Haydn. The Piano Sonatas.

Rudolf Buchbinder, piano.

Having been inspired by Sir Andras Schiff’s recent performance of Haydn’s last piano sonata at this year’s Edinburgh Festival, I’ve decided to start listening to the whole cycle. Wonderful music for late night listening.

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

I wonder how many amateur pianists still play them for pleasure, as of course most of them were intended; I imagine they must be very rewarding.

More old favourites for me today: Tchaikovsky's Fourth with Karajan and the BPO in the Philharmonie mid-70s, the fifth of his six (sic!) recordings of the work. I never tire of this work, whose fame and familiarity obscure its originality.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Mackerras conducts Schubert & Mozart at Frauenkirche, Dresden
                            Schubert
                            Mass No. 6 in E flat major, for soloists, chorus & orchestra, D950
                            Mozart
                            Vesperae solennes de confessore, for soloists, chorus & orchestra, K339
                            Genia Kühmeier (soprano), Oliver Ringelhahn (tenor), Christa Mayer (alto),
                            Timothy Robinson (tenor), Matthew Rose (bass)​
                            Chor der Sächsischen Staatsoper Dresden
                            Staatskapelle Dresden / Sir Charles Mackerras
                            Recorded live 2008, Frauenkirche, Dresden
                            Carus, CD

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                              • Dec 2022

Listening to some random bbc music magazine cd i found in one of my cd carry cases, shumann. Could have looked up the afternoon concert but fancied a cd. Noticed lots of classical lps in the charity shop i volunteer in, one young lady donated lots of records and books, said her father had died two years ago and they just clearing out now, sobering to think one day my most treasued possessions will probably end up in a charity shop. We all just hoarding stuff as we go through life.
                              Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                                I wonder how many amateur pianists still play them for pleasure, as of course most of them were intended; I imagine they must be very rewarding.

More old favourites for me today: Tchaikovsky's Fourth with Karajan and the BPO in the Philharmonie mid-70s, the fifth of his six (sic!) recordings of the work. I never tire of this work, whose fame and familiarity obscure its originality.
                                That was the first full price Lp I ever bought. I was curious to hear the difference between my much played SNO/Alex Gibson disc on CfP.

Comment

Working...
                                X