• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    Schoenberg - Piano Concerto - The Cleveland Orchestra/Boulez & Mitsuko Uchida
    Only just now in fact getting round to listening to this.

Comment

• RichardB
      Banned
      • Nov 2021

Rather nice, don't you think? Interesting to see the score, which I hadn't looked at before - some of its rhythms are much more "straightforward" than is usual in his music for solo instruments! Anyway I think it's shameful how Brian's 80th birthday this year has gone virtually unmarked by so many musical institutions dedicated to contemporary music, and not just (as you mentioned before) the Proms. It's almost as if they believe less in quality and depth, and more in promoting whoever the current compositeurs du jour might be.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by RichardB View Post

Rather nice, don't you think? Interesting to see the score, which I hadn't looked at before - some of its rhythms are much more "straightforward" than is usual in his music for solo instruments! Anyway I think it's shameful how Brian's 80th birthday this year has gone virtually unmarked by so many musical institutions dedicated to contemporary music, and not just (as you mentioned before) the Proms. It's almost as if they believe less in quality and depth, and more in promoting whoever the current compositeurs du jour might be.
        Yes, very nice, sparkling and colourful, amongst other things. And I agree (of course) with everything you say.

I am listening to Schoenberg's piano concerto again, having got to the end of it I found myself expecting or wanting some kind of cadence and decided that I simply wasn't tuning into the piece properly. So I'm listening to it again paying closer attention this time (though I paused it to write this! )

edit: ... the ending still feels abrupt to me! Oh well...
        Last edited by Joseph K; 23-08-23, 21:20.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Now: Ferneyhough - Lemma-Icon-Epigram - Ian Pace, piano

This is a great piece. The rhythms, shapes of lines and textures conjure vivid three-dimensional shapes for me. And the 'processual' form I sense...

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

This is a great piece. The rhythms, shapes of lines and textures conjure vivid three-dimensional shapes for me. And the 'processual' form I sense...
            Were you listening to the CD or the YouTube upload? The former, I hope.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Yes, very nice, sparkling and colourful, amongst other things. And I agree (of course) with everything you say.

I am listening to Schoenberg's piano concerto again, having got to the end of it I found myself expecting or wanting some kind of cadence and decided that I simply wasn't tuning into the piece properly. So I'm listening to it again paying closer attention this time (though I paused it to write this! )

edit: ... the ending still feels abrupt to me! Oh well...
              What interests me about the final movements of the Piano Concerto are the brass fanfares' remarkable similarity to those cropping up in the Bartok Third PC, which was composed some 11 years before Schoenberg's.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Were you listening to the CD or the YouTube upload? The former, I hope.
                Yes Bryn, the former.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

What interests me about the final movements of the Piano Concerto are the brass fanfares' remarkable similarity to those cropping up in the Bartok Third PC, which was composed some 11 years before Schoenberg's.
                  Eh? The Schoenberg dates from 1942, three years before the Bartok.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

That looks an interesting collection, though Presto's listing is a little odd: the Philharmonia Orchestra and Manoug Parikian in Barber's Summer Music?

Barber: Summer Music, Op. 31
                    • Les Vents Français (wind ensemble), Manoug Parikian (violin)
                    • Philharmonia Orchestra
                    https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...-wind-quintets
                    Hello Pulcinella,

Yes, I have both CDs in this set. The second CD is '20th Century Wind Quintets' also played by Les Vents Français. Any reference to Manoug Parikian (violin), Philharmonia Orchestra is incorrect.​

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Debussy
                      6 Épigraphes antiques (orchestrated Ernest Ansermet), CD 139, L. 131
                      Sarabande (orchestrated Ravel) No. 2 from Pour le piano, CD 95, L. 95
                      6 La boîte à joujoux, (orchestrated Andre Caplet) CD 136, L. 128
                      Basler Sinfonie Orchester / Armin Jordan
                      Recorded 1981 Martinskirche, Basel, Switzerland
                      Erato, CD

A recent discovery for me. There is much beautiful music here in these rarely heard orchestrations.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                        Debussy
                        Erato, CD

A recent discovery for me. There is much beautiful music here in these rarely heard orchestrations.

Re the Épigraphes antiques, may I recommend the restrored original, Chansons de Bilitis (the Musique de scène, not the the Trois Chansons).

Download and print in PDF or MIDI free sheet music for Musique De Scène Pour Les Chansons De Bilitis, L.96 by Claude Debussy arranged by Derek Benton for Celesta, Flute, Harp (Mixed Ensemble)

There are several recordings on CD or as downloads, etc. The first recording, with the celesta part reconstructed by Boulez, was recently made available again, (Vera Zorina/Robert Craft), though listings for it tend to erroneously label it as the Trois Chansons.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                          Debussy
                          Erato, CD

I found this program (sic) note interesting:

The Epigraphes and La boîte feature in Decca's Ansermet French Music box set, which I have, together with Danse but not Sarabande.

Comment

• Mandryka
                            • Feb 2021

The great Pavlos Antoniadis plays the great Ustvolskaya 6

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Now spinning the Three Pieces, which I'm enjoying.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Wagner, Berg & Mahler – Orchestral Songs – Anja Harteros
                                Wagner
                                Wesendonck Lieder
                                Berg
                                Sieben frühe Lieder
                                Mahler
                                Rückert-Lieder
                                Anja Harteros (soprano)
                                Münchner Philharmoniker / Valery Gergiev
                                Recorded 2018 (Wagner); 2020 (Berg); 2019 (Mahler), Philharmonie, Munich
                                Münchner Philharmoniker MPHIL, CD

I'm an admirer of Anja Harteros and the Münchner Philharmoniker
                                ​. ​

Comment

Working...
                                X