• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Morton Feldman: Violin and String Quartet (Apartment House)

another timbre is a new label for improvised and contemporary music

Arrived in the post, today.
    It is mentioned inside the gatefold sleeve that those who purchase the CD double album, and who do not want to have to change discs to listen to the whole work, can request a FLAC of the complete recording from Another Timbre. I did so and Simon Reynell, who runs Another Timbre, sent the relevant download link today. Not only does the FLAC offer the complete performance as a single file, but it is also in 24-bit quantization, so the generally quiet dynamics are even better reflected than in the 16-bit CD version.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      He didn't complete it. Mr Yates did a very creditable 'Anthony Payne' job on it (i.e. a performable version of what Moeran left). It's on Dutton CDLX 7281, whee it is described as

'Sketches for Symphony no.2 in E flat realised and completed by Martin Yates'.

The disc includes an orchestration of John Ireland's Sarnia and Moeran's Overture for a Festival orchestrated by Rodney Newton.
      That clarifies it - thanks.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Already within the space of less than two minutes and it seems like the Fine Arts Quartet have the measure of Bartok's third string quartet to a greater extent than the Hagen Quartett. Either that or it could be that simply hearing the piece again increases my appreciation, I don't know... it's good though.

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
          Already within the space of less than two minutes and it seems like the Fine Arts Quartet have the measure of Bartok's third string quartet to a greater extent than the Hagen Quartett. Either that or it could be that simply hearing the piece again increases my appreciation, I don't know... it's good though.
          Is this from the same complete Bartok quartets recordings originally released in the sixties on Saga?

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gradus View Post
            Is this from the same complete Bartok quartets recordings originally released in the sixties on Saga?
            Yes, with the red, green, and blue covers.

Now available as this box set:

Bartók: String Quartets Nos. 1-6. Music & Arts: MACD1176. Buy 3 CDs or download online. The Fine Arts Quartet

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              In the UK, maybe, but they were originally issued on the Concert-Disc label in 1958 in the USA. They were not released on the SAGA label until 1962.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

In honour of the recently late Clarence Barlow, his Çoǧluotobüsişletmesi (Irmela Roelcke, Hermann Kretzschmar, Jürgen Kruse, and Benjamin Kobler [pianos], James Avery [conductor].

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

Busoni: piano concerto

Noel Mewton-wood, solo
                  BBC S.O.
                  Sir Thomas Beecham

overall a better performance than the famous EMI recording with John Ogdon, but possibly due to the conductior being more distinguished.

I always find this work goes through my head all day after hearing it, perhaps because its few main themes are skilfully re-introduced in various guises throughout. Although nearly 70 minutes, it is well-structured.

Comment

• Quarky
                    • Dec 2010

After listening for what seems a lifetime to Through The Night, I have come across an acceptable alternative for my tastes. That is the Contemporaine section of France Musique. Nothing explosive or hard on the ears - plenty of natural sounds, bird song etc. For example Jean Claud Risset - Sud::

Analytical representation of Sud (part 1) by Jean-Claude Risset (1984-85). This representation was originally made for the Portrait Polychrome published by I...

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                      Busoni: piano concerto

Noel Mewton-wood, solo
                      BBC S.O.
                      Sir Thomas Beecham

overall a better performance than the famous EMI recording with John Ogdon, but possibly due to the conductior being more distinguished.

I always find this work goes through my head all day after hearing it, perhaps because its few main themes are skilfully re-introduced in various guises throughout. Although nearly 70 minutes, it is well-structured.
                      Although this long predates Ogdon's recording, it's only been available comparatively recently. What lets Ogdon's otherwise spectacular account of the work down is the undistinguished and at times almost sloppy orchestral playing. Incidentally, Ogdon's introduction to the concerto was at what's now RNCM in Manchester when aged just 9 and he heard a student practising and asked what the music was, said student - Ronald Stevenson (1928-2015), then aged 18 - told him that it was Busoni's Piano Concerto...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        Although this long predates Ogdon's recording, it's only been available comparatively recently. What lets Ogdon's otherwise spectacular account of the work down is the undistinguished and at times almost sloppy orchestral playing. Incidentally, Ogdon's introduction to the concerto was at what's now RNCM in Manchester when aged just 9 and he heard a student practising and asked what the music was, said student - Ronald Stevenson (1928-2015), then aged 18 - told him that it was Busoni's Piano Concerto...
                        The version on my shelves ('inherited' via my partner's collection) is by Volker Banfield, with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra and Chorus conducted by Lutz Herbig (CPO).
                        I can't in all honesty say I remember listening to it, but I surely must have done.
                        Time to revisit?

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

Brahms. Violin Concerto.

Anne-Sophie Mutter, violin.

Herbert Von Karajan conducting Die Berliner Philharmoniker.

Listening in honour of Ms. Mutter’s 60th birthday.

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            The version on my shelves ('inherited' via my partner's collection) is by Volker Banfield, with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra and Chorus conducted by Lutz Herbig (CPO).
                            I can't in all honesty say I remember listening to it, but I surely must have done.
                            Time to revisit?
                            Yes, I'd say so - as also would be Marc-André Hamelin's and Peter Donohoe's, both conducted by Elder (though they might be visits rather than revisits); the one to avoid at all costs is Postnikova conducted by Rozhdestvensky which distends to almost an hour and a half...
                            Last edited by ahinton; 30-06-23, 12:59.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Verdi
                              ‘Il trovatore’
                              Leontyne Price (soprano), Sherrill Milnes (baritone), Plácido Domingo (tenor),
                              Fiorenza Cossotto (mezzo-soprano), Bonaldo Giaiotti (bass),
                              Elizabeth Bainbridge (mezzo-soprano), Stanley Riley (bass),
                              Neilson Taylor (tenor), Ryland Davies (bass)
                              Ambrosian Opera Chorus
                              New Philharmonia Orchestra / Zubin Mehta
                              Recorded 1970 Walthamstow Assembly Hall, London
                              Sony Classical Opera, remastered reissued CD set (orig. RCA Red Seal)

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Herbert Howells. ‘Cello Concerto.

Guy Johnston, ‘cello.

Britten Sinfonia conducted by Christopher Seaman.

(Whispers… It’s a bit thin…)

Comment

Working...
                                X