X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

I'm catching up with where I left off with Previn and the LSO's Turangalila - with the Joy of the Blood of the Stars movement.

Comment

• RichardB
      Banned
      • Nov 2021

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Why was the Elgar cancelling thread cancelled ?
      That's "cancel culture" for you.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        My guess is the For3 mods decided the thread was getting too toxic - something like that, anyway. Personally, as with almost every time a thread like that gets removed, I think it a shame, considering the collected time people spent contributing to it (Ian's trollishness notwithstanding) and that it provided something to read.
        A very relevant point.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
          That's "cancel culture" for you.
          And not even a hint of an explanation or rationale from whoever removed the thread.

Comment

• Mandryka
            • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            That surprises me a bit, Richard.
            Pentatonic scale used for appearance of the Mandarin?
            And when the thugs attack it's not exactly Waltz of the flowers type music.

I might get preparations underway for a Summer BaL: Suites and full versions to consider, and already food for thought from comments.
            There’s also a version for piano four hands - listening now, and I quite like it. I don’t know if it was made by Bartok.

The Miraculous Mandarin, Op. 19 / Sz 73Transcription by the composer.Zoltan Kocsis, pianoAdrienne Hauser, pianoRecorded in Budapest, 1988

Comment

• Hitch
              • Nov 2010

Mozart
              Piano Concerto No.9 in Eb Major, K.271, "Jeunehomme"
              Freiburger Barockorchester, Kristian Bezuidenhout
              Harmonia Mundi

Elgar
              Lux Christi/The Light of Life, Op.29
              Judith Howarth, Linda Finnie, Arthur Davies, John Shirley-Quirk
              London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, Richard Hickox
              Chandos

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                • Nov 2010

For the last year or so, I've set out on another journey selcting composers and then listening to as much of their output that I could find from my own collection, donwloads, online services and the internet generally. Listening chronologically if possible, though its not always possible.
                So far I've listened to Malcolm Arnold, Kurt Atterberg, Mily Balakirev, Samuel Barber, Bela Bartok, Arnold Bax, Alban Berg, Leonard Bernstein, Franz Berwald, Arthur Bliss, Alexander Borodin, Pierre Boulez, Johannes Brahms, Frank Bridge, Max Bruch, George Butterworth, William Byrd, Elliott Carter, Ernest Chausson, Frederic Chopin, Aaron Copland, Paul Creston, Claude Debussy, David Diamond, John Dowland, Paul Dukas, Henri Dutilleux & Antonin Dvorak. It has certainly been an interesting & rewarding experience, especially as many of these works were new to me & some I may never hear again.

I was certainly intrigued recently by the Dvorak operas, which were largely unknown to me. I was particularly taken with the first two acts of King & Charcoal Burner, the final act of Vanda, The Devil & Kate & Rusalka. Dimitrij I found too long and Armida, Dvorak's final completed work somewhat disappointing. Would be interested to know how many others have heard all 10 of Dvorak's operas & their thoughts.

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

I admire your concentration and stamina.

In my Utopia, 'Composer of the week' would be replaced by 'The Music of...(name of composer)', concentrating on the music rather than the private life , of the composer in question. Short, informative introduction, and then the whole work, however long. It wouldn't be limited to five hours, and the length of each programme would obviously vary. But I think it would be more effective than the current format.

Many years ago, a radical change in my working life meant I was without my record collection for over two yeasr. Once re-united, I decided to listen to as much Vaughan Williams as I could. The two works which impressed me most , for some reason, were the sixth symphony and 'Riders to the Sea'.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

I don't understand the cancellaton of the Elgar cancel thread either. Yes, there were a few abrasive responses (understandably, I think) but far more cut and thrust of intelligent discussion and exchanges of ideas. I also have no idea who removed it and, as has been noted, no explanation for its excision has yet been given. Moderators have their entitlements, of course but I do not believe that peremptory removal of this thread without provision of reasoning does the forum any favours; just my two pennarth...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

As far as I’m aware, the Elgar thread is still there. Some off-topic and incendiary posts were removed, but the thread itself should be visible.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        As far as I’m aware, the Elgar thread is still there. Some off-topic and incendiary posts were removed, but the thread itself should be visible.
                        Perhaps you might support that contention with a link to the thread? The forum's advanced search facility fials to find anything with "Elgar" and "cancelled" in it.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Perhaps you might support that contention with a link to the thread? The forum's advanced search facility fials to find anything with "Elgar" and "cancelled" in it.
                          I can read it: possibly some glitch[es] in the system.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            I can read it: possibly some glitch[es] in the system.

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...cel-quot-Elgar
                            "Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              "Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
                              I've referred this to Alpie - the limit of my competence in this.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                I've referred this to Alpie - the limit of my competence in this.
                                I’ve tried various tricks. Try it now.

Comment

Working...
                                X