X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

The soloists in the Britten Brandenburgs, recorded by Ray Minshull and Kenneth Wilkinson at Snape in December 1968, were:

Emanuel Hurwitz, violin; Richard Adeney, flute; Peter Graeme, oboe; Ifor James, horn; David Mason, trumpet, and Philip Ledger, harspsichord.

George Malcolm recorded no.5 at Abbey Road on 1 and 7-8 October 1960 with the Philharmonia orchestra conducted by Otto Klemperer, in a Columbia recordeing made by Walter Legge and Douglas Larter.

Comment

• RichardB
      Banned
      • Nov 2021

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      Is that the older La Petite Bande set or a newer one? Even I lose count of them now!
      It's the one from 2010, whose groundbreaking feature is not using a continuo instrument at 16' pitch, which (of course!) is supported by historical evidence and which is also completely convincing in sound - the last nail in the coffin of what used to be thought of as Bach's "orchestral" music.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        I believe the Schumann violin concerto to be superior to his far too often played one for his own instrument; not a popular view, I'm sure, but...
        I'm not familiar enough or at all with the piano concerto to make a judgement at the moment.

Now spinning: the Brahms from the same disk.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          The soloists in the Britten Brandenburgs, recorded by Ray Minshull and Kenneth Wilkinson at Snape in December 1968, were:

Emanuel Hurwitz, violin; Richard Adeney, flute; Peter Graeme, oboe; Ifor James, horn; David Mason, trumpet, and Philip Ledger, harspsichord.

George Malcolm recorded no.5 at Abbey Road on 1 and 7-8 October 1960 with the Philharmonia orchestra conducted by Otto Klemperer, in a Columbia recordeing made by Walter Legge and Douglas Larter.
          Thanks.
          I just wondered if it was Malcolm (given the musings in the other thread about the Cantata Accademia).

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            To my chagrin, I only took the shrink-wrap off this, a Christmas present, today. The Schumann is spinning currently and I'm enjoying it.

I've been promoting the virtues of this album for some time here now, and my beloved Schumann Fiddle Concerto. It is a work of fascinating psychological complexity, from the long, obsessive 1st movement to the light, joyful levity of the polonaise, with the quietus of the dreams between them; those intricate barocco figurations flowing through. Tightly integrated itself, with several links to other works, especially the later Violin Sonatas. I've been reading about Schumann's last years at Endenich, which are even more heartbreaking if you know and love this music.

The Brahms Double Concerto here is my top recommend for a work that means a great deal to me; and deserved the many garlands of its reviews......

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              I've been promoting the virtues of this album for some time here now, and my beloved Schumann Fiddle Concerto. It is a work of fascinating psychological complexity, from the long, obsessive 1st movement to the light, joyful levity of the polonaise, with the quietus of the dreams between them; those intricate barocco figurations flowing through. Tightly integrated itself, with several links to other works, especially the later Violin Sonatas. I've been reading about Schumann's last years at Endenich, which are even more heartbreaking if you know and love this music.

The Brahms Double Concerto here is my top recommend for a work that means a great deal to me; and deserved the many garlands of its reviews......

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Bruckner Symphony in F Minor. (1863)
                USSRMoCSO/Rozhdestvensy.
                Venezia CD (excellent remaster from Melodiya) rec. 1983.

​The earliest extant Bruckner Symphony, rather beautiful, the liturgical melodic lines blended with the Schubertian and Mendelssohnian input. Just a hint of Wagner coming through. Simpson very dismissive, Carragan's Red Book boldly saying it belongs in any cycle or collection as one of the Eleven. (Bruckner was 39 when he wrote it).
                Calling it a "Study Symphony" let alone No. "00" (!) does this fine work no favours. Revelatory performance from Rozh as he takes (i) at a very moderate pace, with the repeat, almost 20' in all, relating it to the later Bruckner. Good, very atmospheric sound. Given this is the only Bruckner Symphony to have expo repeats in the first movement and finale, it's crucial to include them; yet a surprising number of conductors don't - Skrowacewski and Tintner among them.
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 24-01-23, 01:44.

Comment

• Mandryka
                  • Feb 2021

James Dillon, East 11th Street NY 1003 - from the Nine Rivers cycle.

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                    It's the one from 2010, whose groundbreaking feature is not using a continuo instrument at 16' pitch, which (of course!) is supported by historical evidence and which is also completely convincing in sound - the last nail in the coffin of what used to be thought of as Bach's "orchestral" music.
                    Thanks, Richard. Am I right in thinking it's on the Accent label?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

It can be found on QOBUZ by searching for the title in French, along with the conductor. Adding "accent" might help, too.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                        • Dec 2022

Listening to some violin music

Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• RichardB
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2021

That's right. More recently they've started a series of discs covering the concertos for one and two harpsichords and the three violin concertos (leaving out speculative reconstructions from the harpsichord concertos, but OK). The first volume is excellent.

However, I seem to be much concerned with Bartók at the moment. So far: the Piano Sonata (Kocsis), Divertimento (Boulez), Dance Suite (Fischer), and now, for the second time, the Sonata for two pianos and percussion (Kontarskys & friends). What's next? I ought really to get stuck into the piano music, most of which I don't know, but this seems like a massive task for another time.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Bartok. PC #2,
                            Donohoe/ Rattle/ CBSO

Due to hear this work performed at the Anvil Basingstoke next week, along with Elgar 2.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Bartok. PC #2,
                              Donohoe/ Rattle/ CBSO

Due to hear this work performed at the Anvil Basingstoke next week, along with Elgar 2.
                              I can't imagine that most attenders at that concert will love both of those works equally, whoever is performing them!

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                I can't imagine that most attenders at that concert will love both of those works equally, whoever is performing them!

Debussy’s Faune is in the mix too…….
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X