• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by frankbridge View Post
    Nurse, the screens...
    Better get those before the nurses go on strike!...

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Olga Peretyatko – ‘Rossini!’
      Arias from Il Viaggio a Reims, Semiramide, Tancredi, Matilde di Shabran, Il Barbiere di Siviglia, Il Turco in Italia
      Olga Peretyatko (soprano)
      Coro e Orchestra del Teatro Comunale di Bologna / Alberto Zedda
      Recorded 2014 Teatro Comunale di Bologna
      Sony, CD

Dvořák
      String Quintet in G major, Op. 77, B.49
      Piano Quintet No. 2 in A major, Op. 81, B.155
      Škampa Quartet,
      with Laurène Durantel (double-bass) (Op. 77); Kathryn Stott (piano) (Op. 81)
      Recorded 2007 Dvořák Hall, Rudolfinum, Prague, Czech Republic
      Supraphon, CD

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

Goldberh Variations.

George Malcolm, Oiseau-lyre, 1962.

For me, a wonderfully illuminating interpretation. I'd rather hear this man play the harpsichord than anyone except possibly Thurston Dart or Wanda Landowska.

I liked Ian Partridge's remark about Malcolm: 'he had no small-talk'.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Messiaen - Les Offrandes Oubliées, L'Ascension - SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg/Cambreling

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

I'd known l'Ascension for years but les Offrandes was new to me when I acquired the Chung recording as part of a box set. I was struck by the sureness of the writing , as if Messiaen knew from the outset just what he wanted to do in music. Few composers, it seems, exhibit this quality (Handel is one).

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              I'd known l'Ascension for years but les Offrandes was new to me when I acquired the Chung recording as part of a box set. I was struck by the sureness of the writing , as if Messiaen knew from the outset just what he wanted to do in music. Few composers, it seems, exhibit this quality (Handel is one).
              I hope you know both the orchestral version and the organ version:

The Ascension suite first appeared in 1933 as an orchestral work. In the subsequent organ version of 1934, the first, second and fourth movements remain relatively unchanged. However, the third movement from the orchestral version became so difficult to adapt for organ that Messiaen decided to write a completely new piece.

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

I have a recording of the organ version, played by the composer, in 1956 (lovely summer that year, I recall), but I haven't listened to it much and haven't compared it with the orchestral version. Your message prompts me to do this. His own performances are said to be as interesting, interpretatively speaking, as those of Rachmaninov and Elgar; the final chord of priere du Christ lasting almost a whole minute!

Comment

• RichardB
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2021

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  the sureness of the writing , as if Messiaen knew from the outset just what he wanted to do in music.
                  Indeed, although he was standing on the shoulders of composers whose work has been more or less forgotten, like Maurice Emmanuel - listen to the first minute and a half of his First Symphony (1919) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG4UFNb1WGE and you'll hear where a lot of Messiaen comes from, even if, as in the similar situation of Mahler vis-à-vis Hans Rott, he perceived potential in his predecessors' material far beyond what they had done with it.

Comment

• Mandryka
                    • Feb 2021

Listening to different performances of Schumann’s Stille Tränen on Spotify, my ears pricked up on Prégardien and Gees. This is a song which needs an excellent pianist as well as an excellent singer and Prégardien/Gees fit the bill. They take Stille Tränen unusually slowly, and I think that’s a good idea. This looks to me like a Kerner Lieder worth getting to know.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                      Indeed, although he was standing on the shoulders of composers whose work has been more or less forgotten, like Maurice Emmanuel - listen to the first minute and a half of his First Symphony (1919) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG4UFNb1WGE and you'll hear where a lot of Messiaen comes from, even if, as in the similar situation of Mahler vis-à-vis Hans Rott, he perceived potential in his predecessors' material far beyond what they had done with it.
                      Messiaen studied with Emmanuel for a time.

Comment

• RichardB
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2021

CPE Bach, sonatas and rondos played on the clavichord by Jocelyne Cuiller (as mentioned upthread by Mandryka). This is maybe the most convincing and colourful clavichord recording I've ever come across.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Donizetti
                          ‘Rosmonda d’Inghilterra’ – opera seria in two acts
                          (prem. Florence 1834)
                          Enrico II - Bruce Ford (tenor); Leonora di Guienna - Nelly Miricioiu (soprano);
                          Rosmonda - Renée Fleming (soprano); Gualtiero Clifford - Alastair Miles (bass);
                          Arturo - Diana Montague (mezzo-soprano)
                          Geoffrey Mitchell Choir
                          London Philharmonic Orchestra / David Parry
                          Recorded 1994 Henry Wood Hall, London
                          Opera Rara, 2 CD set

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                            CPE Bach, sonatas and rondos played on the clavichord by Jocelyne Cuiller (as mentioned upthread by Mandryka). This is maybe the most convincing and colourful clavichord recording I've ever come across.
                            Did you ever come across the vintage Hogwood recording of CPE Bach keyboard works on L'Oiseau Lyre, Richard? I think it was the first disc that I heard featuring the clavichord.

Comment

• RichardB
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2021

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              Did you ever come across the vintage Hogwood recording of CPE Bach keyboard works on L'Oiseau Lyre, Richard? I think it was the first disc that I heard featuring the clavichord.
                              No I didn't. I'll try to track it down.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Beethoven. Symphony No.6. ‘Pastoral’.

The London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Erich Kleiber. Recorded February 1948.

Although it’s been well transferred, there are moments where the change to a new 78rpm disc is quite obvious. None the worse for that!

Comment

Working...
                                X