X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Anton Rubinstein: Collected Songs and Duets, Part 1 (issued in 2007, Part II never sighted)
    Mila Shkirtil (mezzo), Mikhail Lukonin (baritone), Yuri Serov (piano)

Rubinstein: Collected Songs, Part 1. Northern Flowers: NFPMA9960. Buy CD or download online. Mila Shkirtil (mezzo), Mikhail Lukonin (baritone), Yuri Serov (piano)

Another most delectable song discovery for me from the the Northern Flowers label (who also gave us Glazunov with the same artists). Neglected gems with lovely interplay in the duets.

Comment

• Mandryka
      • Feb 2021

Maurice Ohana, Si le jour paraît . . . On this YouTube, where you can see the performer pluck

Si le jour paraît... (1963–64)0:00 I. Temple05:52 II. Enueg 09:55 III. Maya-Marsya 13:27 IV. 20 Avril (Planh) 16:45 V. La Chevelure de Bérénice 21:01 VI. Jeu...

Exotic music - I’m exploring two composers who are new for me at the moment, Maurice Ohana and Friedrich Cerha.

Comment

• RichardB
        Banned
        • Nov 2021

I think Cerha's Spiegel I-VII is pretty much a masterpiece. Not sure about his more expressionistic later work though (with the exception of his completion of Lulu which I don't think anyone could have done better).

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Christian Wolff: Burdocks (Scratch Orchestra, Gentle Fire, et al, Cecil Sharp House, March 28th 1972, a copy of Bob Woolford's master tape (but with occasional drop-outs).

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
            Catching up on the 5th and 6th String Quartets by James Clarke (b. 1957), performed by the Arditti Quartet - to be found along with much else of interest at James's Soundcloud page
            Finally getting round to listening to these...

Comment

• Mandryka
              • Feb 2021

I think Cerha's Spiegel I-VII is pretty much a masterpiece. Not sure about his more expressionistic later work though (with the exception of his completion of Lulu which I don't think anyone could have done better).
              Thanks, will check it out properly soon. I've been enjoying the night music -- this especially

"Langegger Nachtmusik III (Langegg night music) III" for large orchestra (1990-1991)Radio-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin (today's Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester B...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Christian Wolff: Burdocks (Scratch Orchestra, Gentle Fire, et al, Cecil Sharp House, March 28th 1972, a copy of Bob Woolford's master tape (but with occasional drop-outs).

https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapte...0-april-1972-8
                Gosh - to have been there on that day! I rather fancy Cecil Sharpe's spirit smiling benevolently down on the occasion.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Gosh - to have been there on that day! I rather fancy Cecil Sharpe's spirit smiling benevolently down on the occasion.
                  It was, indeed, quite an occasion. Unfortunately, the files I stumbled across only hold The concert's opening Verdi: Va, pensiero and Burdocks itself. The mid-performance interval show is missing I believe I have them on an old reel-to-reel taps but have no functioning way of playing that tape, if I can find it.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

What a concert! Some famous artists weee in the audience too, namely, Ralph Couzens, Sir Mark Elder and John Wilson. I wonder what other famous artists were there and at other concerts. I know Tasmin Little was at one of them, for the Yuja Wang Prom.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Umberto Giordano
                      ‘Andrea Chénier’ dramma di ambiente storico scritto in quattro quadri
                      Luciano Pavarotti (Chenier), Montserrat Caballé (Maddalena),
                      Leo Nucci (Gerard), Kathleen Kuhlmann (Bersi),
                      Astrid Varnay (Contessa di Coigny), Christa Ludwig (Madelon),
                      Hugues Cuénod (Fleville)
                      Welsh National Opera Chorus,
                      National Philharmonic Orchestra / Riccardo Chailly
                      Recorded 1982 Walthamstow Assembly Hall, London
                      Decca, 2 CDs

Comment

• Mandryka
                        • Feb 2021

It's very good! Or at least, the first three are, I haven't heard the rest yet.

Do you have any opinions on the relative merits of the two recordings?

Comment

• RichardB
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                          Do you have any opinions on the relative merits of the two recordings?
                          As far as I can remember, the earlier recording conducted by the composer is a bit compromised by audience noise, which the later Cambreling one isn't.

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Just now getting round to listening to part 2 of Mahler 3 - Boulez et al.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Mahler. Symphony No.4

Les Siècles. François-Xavier Roth. Sabine Devieilhe, soprano.

Harmonia Mundi.

Very impressive!

Comment

• RichardB
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2021

Szymanowski, Stabat Mater, a new release conducted by Michael Gielen. I hadn't knowingly heard this piece before. Quite a discovery.

Comment

Working...
                                X