X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Debussy: Chansons de Bilitis; Hindemith/Mallarmé: Herodiade.

96/24 FLACs.

I have been seeking this for some time. I fell upon it on LP in a WH Smith, Notting Hill sale, back in the early 1970s. The Debussy has been a favourite of mine since first hearing it. Zorina/Craft use the Boulez reconstruction of the celeste part. In more recent decades it has largely been displaced by the reconstruction by
    Arthur Hoérée is heard more often among the rare performances of this delightful melding of Louÿs's poetry and what was to be recycled as Six épigraphes antiques. The transfer is not too bad. A fair few vinyl glitches have been left unrepaired, but any basic DAW can be used to touch things up, if you want to spend time finding and repairing them, either by using an interpolation tool or by redrawing the waveform, manually. I rather like this recording, and not only for the Boulez reconstruction. Zorina's delivery in both the Debussy and the Hindemith, I find very attractive, musically.
    I have a gorgeous recording with Catherine Deneuve reciting the poetry.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      I have a gorgeous recording with Catherine Deneuve reciting the poetry.
      Yes, that's probably the best of the more recent recordings. Somehow, DG overlooked it when compiling their supposed complete Debussy boxed set. I was rather taken aback when Radio 3 listed the work on TtN as the Trois chansons de Bilitis. The situation wa made even stranger by the poems having been translated into Finnish. There is also an interesting compilation of related works by Debussy on a Brilliant Classics release. It has the rarely performed, let alone recorded, original version of Syrinx, (with recitation) on it.
      Last edited by Bryn; 07-05-22, 08:23. Reason: Typo + clarification of possible ambiguity.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Yes, that's probably the best of the more recent recordings. Sonehow, DG overlooked it when compiling their supposed complete Debussy boxed set. I was rather taken aback when Radio 3 listed it on TtN as the Trois chansons de Bilitis. The situation wa made even stranger by the poems having been translated into Finnish. There is also an interesting compilation of related works by Debussy on a Brilliant Classics release. It has the rarely performed, let alone recorded, original version of Syrinx, (with recitation) on it.
        Thanks for this, Bryn. I'm going to enjoy listening to it tomorrow.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Yes, that's probably the best of the more recent recordings. Somehow, DG overlooked it when compiling their supposed complete Debussy boxed set. I was rather taken aback when Radio 3 listed the work on TtN as the Trois chansons de Bilitis. The situation wa made even stranger by the poems having been translated into Finnish. There is also an interesting compilation of related works by Debussy on a Brilliant Classics release. It has the rarely performed, let alone recorded, original version of Syrinx, (with recitation) on it.
          Looks an interesting one to explore!

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Stravinsky: Symphony in three movements

Four versions that I hadn't heard before, all streamed (Deezer/Sonos):

San Francisco/MTT
            Rotterdam Phil/Conlon
            Bamberg Phil/Metzmacher
            American SO/Botstein

A pretty clear winner here, I thought: MTT in a very impressive live performance, well captured.
            Very much looking forward to BaL on 28 May 2022!

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Rachmaninov. Piano Concerto No.3.

Dimitris Sgouros, piano. Yuri Simonov conducting The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. An original EMI cd from 1984 with ‘INDEX’ points!

The Gramophone critic was a bit sniffy but it sounds absolutely fantastic to me! Amazing that the soloist was only 14 when he recorded it.

DSCH. Symphonies 15 & 9

Kirill Kondrashin conducting The Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra. Melodiya label.
              Last edited by pastoralguy; 07-05-22, 16:39.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Dimitris Sgouros, piano. Yuri Simonov conducting The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. An original EMI cd from 1984 with ‘INDEX’ points!

The Gramophone critic was a bit sniffy but it sounds absolutely fantastic to me! Amazing that the soloist was only 14 when he recorded it.
                Seem to recall he was the next Horowitz when I was growing up before disappearing out of sight.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  Seem to recall he was the next Horowitz when I was growing up before disappearing out of sight.
                  I’d never heard of him before today. From what I can tell he still plays in public but there are very few recordings by him.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

I remember seeing Sgouros performing that very piece with Rostropovich and the LPO in the Royal Festival Hall, London, in 1983. I think it was his UK debut and he was 'The Next Best Thing'. As far as I can recall, I've never heard of him since. In any case, I'd really gone for the Shostakovich 10th in the second half.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• RichardB
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      A pretty clear winner here, I thought: MTT in a very impressive live performance, well captured.
                      MTT never lets you down in Stravinsky, I find.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                        We're nearing the Xenakis centenary and a while ago on this forum I said I'd listen to all my Xenakis CDs around this time, so that's what I've started doing, starting with disk one of this five-disk set -

Disk 2 of this.

Comment

• RichardB
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2021

Disk 2 of this.
                          I've been returning recently to some of those recordings. I found Kyania difficult to get through when it first came out but listened to it spellbound the other day. Of course, things like Synaphai, Metastaseis, Jonchaies, Shaar and Antikhthon, to name only these, are modern classics.

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                            I've been returning recently to some of those recordings. I found Kyania difficult to get through when it first came out but listened to it spellbound the other day. Of course, things like Synaphai, Metastaseis, Jonchaies, Shaar and Antikhthon, to name only these, are modern classics.
                            Agreed. I'm currently listening to Shaar - and before that, Jonchaies - they're very visceral, though with lyrical/modal elements that get abstracted and ultimately blitzed in the maelstrom of massive textures. It's quite delirious and genuinely stormy (much as I like Haydn's Sturm und Drang, I think that description is better suited to much of Xenakis' orchestral oeuvre).

Comment

• RichardB
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2021

and before that, Jonchaies
                              ... which is in a few places almost a direct "translation" for orchestra of passages from the electronic piece La légende d'Eer.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                                • Sep 2012

I was listening to the Kempe Strauss set with Dresden yesterday. The day before I had been listening to the early digital Karajan Heldenleben, which is ok as a performance but the sonics on the Karajan are just awful, even though it must have been recorded a good decade after the Kempe. There is no soundstage on the DG at all (I have a tubed pre amp, and kept wondering if I had blown a valve). The Kempe give the illusion that there is an actual Orchestra in your room, with low strings and brass laying a foundation and the timpani being placed properly behind the rest of the Orchestra. Only the Alpine Symphony disappoints sonically, but that is a difficult piece to do justice to in 2 channel audio.

Comment

Working...
                                X