X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kea View Post
    I assume this (although I guess it doesn't get the full "big tune treatment" until a bit later).

RVW's importance in transferring classical technique into the world of film music is probably sufficiently high that very few film composers wouldn't be influenced by him, tbh. This is not to make any kind of statement regarding his importance to classical music obviously. But you rarely hear an orchestral film score that doesn't sound vaguely like the Sinfonia Antarctica or whatever.
    I believe the big earworm of a melody in The Wasps overture has been acknowledged by at least one American movie composer as having had a big influence on that genre: ironically, given the lack of deserts and mesas making up the English landscape!

Comment

• DoctorT

Berlioz
      Les nuits d'été
      Karen Cargill
      SCO/Robin Ticciati
      I never tire of this music

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Disk 1 of the Haydn 2032 Vol. 1 - 10 Symphonies box, comprising symphonies 39, 49 and 1, as well as Gluck's Don Juan ballet, performed by Il Giardino Armonico under Antonini.

Comment

• kea
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Can someone quietly explain to me why Macmillan has achieved such apparent acclamation?
          Broadly speaking, his music combines a number of recognisable elements from other people's music (or the musical canon writ large), and is therefore easy to follow, while also generally using the same elements (or at least similar ones), and therefore also being stylistically identifiable. I may be overgeneralising here.

My first exposure was a live performance of his percussion concerto (by the dedicatee), which I thought was fun and unique in a postmodern collage sort of way. I ended up losing interest mostly because, to my ears, everything else I heard by him felt basically like rehashes of the same aesthetic. (That said, aesthetic rehashes are not always a problem for me, I can listen to a couple hundred Scarlatti sonatas in a row, so this distaste might involve some additional subjective judgments.)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kea View Post
            Broadly speaking, his music combines a number of recognisable elements from other people's music (or the musical canon writ large), and is therefore easy to follow, while also generally using the same elements (or at least similar ones), and therefore also being stylistically identifiable. I may be overgeneralising here.

My first exposure was a live performance of his percussion concerto (by the dedicatee), which I thought was fun and unique in a postmodern collage sort of way. I ended up losing interest mostly because, to my ears, everything else I heard by him felt basically like rehashes of the same aesthetic. (That said, aesthetic rehashes are not always a problem for me, I can listen to a couple hundred Scarlatti sonatas in a row, so this distaste might involve some additional subjective judgments.)
            I wouldn't have described Scarlatti sonatas as aesthetic rehashes! To me they were amazingly innovative, looking forward beyond the Baroque to the early classical, CPE Bach in particular. But yes, MacMillan's music does consists of stylistic re-treads of other, earlier composers. Rather like John Adams's, if in a different way!

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

<< I ended up losing interest mostly because, to my ears, everything else I heard by him felt basically like rehashes of the same aesthetic.>>
              Thx, kea. V. helpful.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

I’m having, or seem to be having m a Jean Martinon theme, this week.

Debussy
                La Mer
                Trios Nocturnes
                Prélude à l’aprés-midi d’un faune
                Berceuse héröique
                Musiques pour Le Roi Lear
                Jeux
                Images
                Printemps, suite symphonique
                Children’s Corner Suite
                Petite Suite
                Danse Sacrée et danses profane
                La Boite à joujoux
                Fantasie pour piano et orchestre
                La plus que lente
                Première Rapsodie
                Khamma
                Danse
                French National Radio Orchestra
                Jean Martinon.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                  I’m having, or seem to be having m a Jean Martinon theme, this week.

Debussy
                  La Mer
                  Trios Nocturnes
                  Prélude à l’aprés-midi d’un faune
                  Berceuse héröique
                  Musiques pour Le Roi Lear
                  Jeux
                  Images
                  Printemps, suite symphonique
                  Children’s Corner Suite
                  Petite Suite
                  Danse Sacrée et danses profane
                  La Boite à joujoux
                  Fantasie pour piano et orchestre
                  La plus que lente
                  Première Rapsodie
                  Khamma
                  Danse
                  French National Radio Orchestra
                  Jean Martinon.
                  Great idea - superb conductor - try his Berlioz Sym Fant - one of the best around and it has the added brass of the cornet obbligato in ‘Un bal’.

Comment

• RichardB
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2021

Bruckner, Symphony no.8: Münchner Philharmoniker & Celibidache

This is the 2021 Sony release (streaming on Qobuz). I feel that it has a fuller sound than the EMI CD I have. Can that be the case, or have I just turned it up louder?

Comment

• Pianoman
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                      Bruckner, Symphony no.8: Münchner Philharmoniker & Celibidache

I feel that it has a fuller sound than the EMI CD I have. Can that be the case, or have I just turned it up louder?
                      Lol - the oldest trick in the book for hifi salesman ....

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                        Lol - the oldest trick in the book for hifi salesman ....
                        Reminds me of audio fairs from way back when certain favoured LPs were played - Martinon’s Danse Macabre and Mehta’s Also Sprach with bass and volume set to woof up the Tannoy Lancasters (or similar!)

Comment

• gradus
                          • Nov 2010

Ombra mai fu sung by Gigli (beautifully) and requested by Humphrey Littleton in his DID re-broadcast on R4Extra this morning. A performance from 1933 in a style unlike anything nowadays so I suppose historical and thus awaiting revival.

Comment

• gradus
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Reminds me of audio fairs from way back when certain favoured LPs were played - Martinon’s Danse Macabre and Mehta’s Also Sprach with bass and volume set to woof up the Tannoy Lancasters (or similar!)
                            I particularly recall an AR speaker demo at one Hotel Russel Audio Fare that used the organ pedal notes from Saint Saens 3rd symphony to impress visitors which it certainly did.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                              I particularly recall an AR speaker demo at one Hotel Russel Audio Fare that used the organ pedal notes from Saint Saens 3rd symphony to impress visitors which it certainly did.
                              Yes, gradus, another favourite!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Brahms. Late piano music. (Although why over a two cd set room couldn’t have been found for the Op.116 works I don’t know!)

Marc Pantillon, piano. Claves.

Comment

Working...
                                X