• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
    And?
    Upstanding[sic] performance from the chin-held instruments. Isabelle seated, as usual. Typical Wolff, well presented.

Comment

• Mandryka
      • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Upstanding[sic] performance from the chin-held instruments. Isabelle seated, as usual. Typical Wolff, well presented.
      I think the only thing I’ve ever really enjoyed by Wolff is the improvisation with Larry Polansky and Kui Dong.

Anyway, I’m having my own private Rihm festival, this morning this

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
        This afternoon Saint-Saens Second piano concerto in the solo piano arrangement by Bizet on a new Piano Classics CD. Very impressive!
        Sounds interesting!

Today, a session of listening to the recordings of the Sinfonia of London/John Wilson.

Korngold
        Symphony in F# major, Op.40
        Theme & Variations, Op.42
        Straussiana
        Sinfonia of London
        John Wilson

Respighi
        The Roman Trilogy
        Sinfonia of London
        John Wilson

English Music for Strings
        Britten

Variations on a theme of Frank Bridge
        Frank Bridge Lament,H117
        Lennox Berkeley
        Serenade for Strings, Op.12
        Bliss
        Music for Strings, F123
        Sinfonia of London
        John Wilson

Duttileaux Le Loup
        Sinfonia of London
        John Wilson

Ravel Orchestral Works
        Sinfonia of London
        John Wilson.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          Brahms. The String Sextets.

The Belcea Quartet with Tabea Zimmermann, viola and Jean-Guinean Queyras, ‘cello.

Alpha-Classics.
          I’m loving this recording the more I’m listening to it. Having said that, surely I’m not the only member of this board who feels guilty about enjoying music in a comfy house with a full belly while so much suffering is going on?

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Donizetti
            ‘Roberto Devereux’, three act lyric tragedy (prem. 1837)
            Elisabetta, (Queen of England) Nelly Miricioiu (soprano);
            Roberto Devereux, (Earl of Essex) José Bros (tenor);
            Sara, (Duchess of Nottingham) Sonia Ganassi (mezzo-soprano);
            Duke of Nottingham, Roberto Frontali (baritone);
            Lord Cecil, Robin Leggate, (tenor);
            Raleigh, Graeme Broadbent (bass)
            Chorus and Orchestra of Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London / Maurizio Benini
            Recorded 2002, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London
            Opera Rara 2CDs

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Brahms. The String Sextets.

The Belcea Quartet with Tabea Zimmermann, viola and Jean-Guinean Queyras, ‘cello.

Alpha-Classics.
              Hello PG,

I have that new CD too but I have not played it yet but will over the weekend. I have seen the Quartet and the two soloists all seperately live in concert and all are first class players so I'm looking forward to hearing the CD.
              Last edited by Stanfordian; 11-03-22, 13:39.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Starting a theme of listening to Handel’s Oratorios.

Handel
                Athalia
                Joan Sutherland Athalia
                Emma Kirkby Jesabeth
                Aled Jones Joas
                Joad James Bowman
                Mathan Anthony Rolfe Johnson
                Abner David Thomas
                Choir of New College Oxford
                Academy of Ancient Music
                Christopher Hogwood
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Having been constrained by a combination of health and transport difficulties to miss today's Lunchtime performance of the Liszt piano solo arrangement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony at City University Performance Space (Prof.* Ian Pace), I have had to 'make do' with the fine recording of the work by Yury Martynov (1837Erhard).

Comment

• RichardB
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2021

Arthur Honegger, Symphony no.3, with the Bern Symphony Orchestra conducted by Mario Venzago.

As I mentioned in another thread, Maestro Venzago is conducting on my home turf this evening, but unfortunately I have another engagement that I can't change, so I went along to the dress rehearsal this morning to see him conduct this work, which he clearly has a strong connection to. My OH reckons the first movement sounds like one of Bernard Herrmann's Hitchcock scores; I think an aliquot of Prokofiev is also present. It does get a bit ponderous, but the third movement, and the way it eventually expands on the end of the second, is completely convincing both on the CD and live. The programme also contains a work for trumpet and orchestra by Christian Jost which struck me as unfocused and threadbare; I had the opportunity to meet and chat with the maestro who is a charming individual (also with the orchestra) - he said that he'd wanted the trumpet concerto by B A Zimmermann instead, but that the budget didn't extend to hiring the necessary five saxophonists, which no doubt is why that marvellous piece isn't performed more often.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                      Arthur Honegger, Symphony no.3, with the Bern Symphony Orchestra conducted by Mario Venzago.

As I mentioned in another thread, Maestro Venzago is conducting on my home turf this evening, but unfortunately I have another engagement that I can't change, so I went along to the dress rehearsal this morning to see him conduct this work, which he clearly has a strong connection to. My OH reckons the first movement sounds like one of Bernard Herrmann's Hitchcock scores; I think an aliquot of Prokofiev is also present. It does get a bit ponderous, but the third movement, and the way it eventually expands on the end of the second, is completely convincing both on the CD and live. The programme also contains a work for trumpet and orchestra by Christian Jost which struck me as unfocused and threadbare; I had the opportunity to meet and chat with the maestro who is a charming individual (also with the orchestra) - he said that he'd wanted the trumpet concerto by B A Zimmermann instead, but that the budget didn't extend to hiring the necessary five saxophonists, which no doubt is why that marvellous piece isn't performed more often.
                      At least he was not forced to resort to Honegger's 2nd.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                        • Nov 2010

I’m loving this recording the more I’m listening to it. Having said that, surely I’m not the only member of this board who feels guilty about enjoying music in a comfy house with a full belly while so much suffering is going on?
                        I was musing on 'enjoying' music and it occurred to me that at the moment it is something to escape to and for the soul to enjoy, rather than for us to enjoy in a purely hedonistic sense (I know that's not what you mean!) as we might more normally.

My listening today started with Beethoven's cello sonata opus 5 no. 2, played by a Russian - Rostropovich - and a Ukrainian - Richter, and recorded, it so happens, in June 1962.

Life-enhancing music, as is op. 97 (Kempff/Szeryng/Fournier) which is playing at the moment.

Comment

• RichardB
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          At least he was not forced to resort to Honegger's 2nd.
                          I wouldn't have minded that too much... although I guess importing an international soloist (Simon Höfele) to play it might have been thought a little extravagant.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Mozart’s Piano Concertos No.15 in Bb, K.450 & No.21 in C K.467.

Alfred Brendel, piano. ASMF conducted by Neville Marriner. This is a cd I found in a charity shop for a pound yesterday. It’s an original ‘Blue Face’ cd from the first tranche of discs issued by Philips. I’ve built up a wee collection of these discs over the years. Very heavy boxes!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                              I was musing on 'enjoying' music and it occurred to me that at the moment it is something to escape to and for the soul to enjoy, rather than for us to enjoy in a purely hedonistic sense (I know that's not what you mean!) as we might more normally.

My listening today started with Beethoven's cello sonata opus 5 no. 2, played by a Russian - Rostropovich - and a Ukrainian - Richter, and recorded, it so happens, in June 1962.

Life-enhancing music, as is op. 97 (Kempff/Szeryng/Fournier) which is playing at the moment.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Jón Leifs. Organ Concerto. Op.7

Björn Steinar Sólbergsson playing the Hans Gard Klais Organ at the Hallgrim’s Church, Reykjavik.

The Iceland Symphony Orchestra conducted by En Shao. (BIS)

50p charity shop find. Oddly enough, I’ve picked up a few of this composer’s discs on the BIS label recently. Not really sure what to make of it. Seems very noisy!

Comment

Working...
                                X