Symphony no. 3 ‘Scottish’
    Swedish CO/Thomas Dausgaard
    Thanks to Andrew McGregor for highlighting this one this morning

Comment

• RichardB
      Banned
      • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      James Dillon - East 11th St NY 10003, Window and Canopy and La Femme Invisible - Music Projects/London under Richard Bernas

Although the works on this disk are in varying degrees fairly elusive, overall I enjoyed listening to them. While Dillon eschews things like themes and it wouldn't be wrong to describe his music as atonal, nevertheless generally his music here as elsewhere (some tendencies towards flux and chaos notwithstanding) is quite soft-edged which I think is owing towards his penchant for spectral harmonies or similar.
      Elusive is a very good word for James's music! I've always liked Windows and Canopies but on the other hand I often struggle with works for percussion ensemble (apart from the one by Jo Kondo I mentioned in my previous post), especially when the music isn't rhythmically motivated, it often becomes just a changing mix of more or less familiar sonorities. Actually everything on that CD (one of the first releases on NMC) would count as "early works" now. The recent ones are no less elusive though.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Which includes Debussy's 'other' Chansons de Bilitis with Delphine Seyrig.

Comment

• Mandryka
          • Feb 2021

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
          via Qobuz: orchestral works by Jo Kondo, with the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra conducted by Paul Zukofsky.

Very nice to see these rare LPs on the CP2 (that's "squared" rather than "two") label turning up on Qobuz. I've admired Jo Kondo's music for many years but I hadn't heard any of his music for orchestra before. If I say it's texturally a bit like Feldman and harmonically a bit like Messiaen that doesn't really cover what's special about these pieces. They have the timbral sensitivity of Takemitsu but in the form of blocks and washeds of sound rather than interweaving melodies. The last piece on the disc, Under the Umbrella, sounds like it's for prepared piano but it's actually for a percussion ensemble all playing cowbells. Highly recommended... and Kondo's chamber and piano music is very much worth investigating as well.
          One recording I really like is by Bozzini Quartet - two pieces by Kondo and two by Skempton.

Comment

• Mandryka
            • Feb 2021

James Dillon - East 11th St NY 10003, Window and Canopy and La Femme Invisible - Music Projects/London under Richard Bernas

Although the works on this disk are in varying degrees fairly elusive, overall I enjoyed listening to them. While Dillon eschews things like themes and it wouldn't be wrong to describe his music as atonal, nevertheless generally his music here as elsewhere (some tendencies towards flux and chaos notwithstanding) is quite soft-edged which I think is owing towards his penchant for spectral harmonies or similar. To this listener the features that stand out the most are generally textural such as the string writing in Window and Canopy, in which each player has an independent part which often calls for some unusual technique, or glissandi reminiscent of Xenakis. And, as the booklet notes state, the influence of Varese is there. Generally I find the sound of his music attractive ... it's quite elusive though, more listening required - certainly for the latter two pieces, both for chamber ensembles (the first piece is for six percussionists).
            I think the late quartets are very fine, 8 is a particular favourite if mine, 9 also exceptional IMO, they’re on YouTube. He said in an interview that he uses string quartets to experiment with ideas for large scale pieces, but I think the quartets are some of his best work. He gets lots of support from Arditti in this, hopefully one day they’ll release them all like they did for Ferneyhough.
            Last edited by Mandryka; 02-01-22, 07:03.

Comment

• Mandryka
              • Feb 2021

Listening to L’Archubudelli play the Brahms op 36 sextet. I like this music and would appreciate recommendations for other interesting ones to hear.

Johannes Brahms, string sextet no. 2 in G major op. 36 (1864-5). Performed by L'Archibudelli on original instruments: Anner Bylsma (Cello), Marilyn McDonald ...

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                I think the late quartets are very fine, 8 is a particular favourite if mine, 9 also exceptional IMO, they’re on YouTube. He said in an interview that he uses string quartets to experiment with ideas for large scale pieces, but I think the quartets are some of his best work. He gets lots of support from Arditti in this, hopefully one day they’ll release them all like they did for Ferneyhough.

Explore Ensemble has just released videos of their performance of Systema naturæ:

Comment

• Mario
                  • Aug 2020

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS R

Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis

Comparing

Sinfonia of London – Barbirolli Sir J
                  LPO – Handley V
                  NBC S O – Toscanini A (1938)
                  New Queen’s Hall O – Wordsworth B

Mario

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Carrying on with my theme today celebrating the 150 Anniversary of RVW’s birth. Or as I’m calling it RVW 150.

Ralph Vaughan Williams
                    The Symphonies
                    CD 1

A Sea Symphony
                    (Yvonne Kenney, soprano,
                    Brian Rayner Cook, baritone,
                    London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
                    Bryden Thomson
                    CD 2
                    A London Symphony (Symphony No.2)
                    CD 3
                    Symphony No.3 (A Pastoral Symphony)*
                    Symphony No.4 in F minor
                    CD 4
                    Symphony No.5 in D major
                    Symphony No.6 in E minor
                    CD 5
                    Symphony No.7 (Sinfonia Antarctica) *
                    Symphony No.9 in E minor
                    *Catherine Bott (soprano)
                    London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus (women’s voices)
                    Bryden Thomson.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Mandryka
                      • Feb 2021

There are three Jo Kondo pieces. Two of them use the sort of Feldman harmonies which I really don’t like - so I’ll pass. The third is astonishingly original - it’s called Mr Bloomfield, his spacing. It is music from Mars. Feldman said “ There's a young man by the name of Jo Kondo. And he's Japanese and I would say that he's going to be the Webern of the nineties. Very strange stuff.” - well Mr Bloomfield shows he was no fool, Feldman.

Comment

• RichardB
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2021

Listening to L’Archubudelli play the Brahms op 36 sextet. I like this music and would appreciate recommendations for other interesting ones to hear.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fd3Cu6m6srs
                        Well, obviously there's the op.18 sextet, which I prefer, but most of Brahms is a closed book to me.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Explore Ensemble has just released videos of their performance of Systema naturæ:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...6FuwBQLLzu48hZ
                          Thanks. A pity the audio is restricted to 96kbps AAC-LC though. Still, better than nothing.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fd3Cu6m6srs
                            One of my 2021 Records of the Year, a young group, unwound gut strings and classical bows played with great freedom (portamento-rubato), outstanding in every way.....
                            Listen to unlimited or download Brahms: The String Quartets & String Quintet No. 2 by Dudok Quartet Amsterdam in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

The Op.51 Quartets are lifelong icons for me. Rarely heard them better done; the C Minor is simply one of the greatest of all string quartets (as vital to Brahms, re. Beethoven's Shadow, as the Symphony NO.1), an amazing piece.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                              Carrying on with my theme today celebrating the 150 Anniversary of RVW’s birth. Or as I’m calling it RVW 150.

Ralph Vaughan Williams
                              The Symphonies
                              CD 1

A Sea Symphony
                              (Yvonne Kenney, soprano,
                              Brian Rayner Cook, baritone,
                              London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
                              Bryden Thomson
                              CD 2
                              A London Symphony (Symphony No.2)
                              CD 3
                              Symphony No.3 (A Pastoral Symphony)*
                              Symphony No.4 in F minor
                              CD 4
                              Symphony No.5 in D major
                              Symphony No.6 in E minor
                              CD 5
                              Symphony No.7 (Sinfonia Antarctica) *
                              Symphony No.9 in E minor
                              *Catherine Bott (soprano)
                              London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus (women’s voices)
                              Bryden Thomson.
                              Great cycle - BT was a very good conductor!

Comment

• RichardB
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2021

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                                One of my 2021 Records of the Year, a young group, unwound gut strings and classical bows played with great freedom (portamento-rubato), outstanding in every way.....
                                This recording is even as I write unlocking the op.51 quartets for me, just like Leila Schayegh's recording of the violin sonatas did. I think my problem is that I don't hear "more vibrato" as more expressive but just as something that gets in the way, as opposed to the way the Dudok Quartet approach the expressivity of Brahms which makes so much more sense to me. This one went under the radar until today, thanks Jayne.

Comment

Working...
                                X