Whose solo piano music floats your boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

For Gottschalk, it's also worth checking out Richard Burnett's period piano disc - he produces some lovely sounds. Though it might have been even more HIP if he had used some American early pianos.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      For Gottschalk, it's also worth checking out Richard Burnett's period piano disc - he produces some lovely sounds. Though it might have been even more HIP if he had used some American early pianos.
      I'd totally forgotten about Gottschalk, so thanks for this reminder. The only work of his I've come across - and this was in a broadcast of mainly Ives songs and chamber music back in the 1960s - was this utterly delightful bit of patriotic hubris which had me in stitches. Liszt, eat your excesses! I visualise Trump standing in full Napoleonic-Amaricanese pose listening to this in full solemnity, surrounded by likewise posing henchpersons, devoid of all sense of irony:

Louis Moreau Gottschalk: "The Union" - Concert Paraphrase on the National Airs "The Star Spangled Banner," "Yankee Doodle," and "Hail Columbia." (1862)Perfor...

One or two slight fluffs in this performance, born of over-enthusiasm, no doubt!

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

That's one thing I don't like, is period pianos! Otherwise I would check that one out, MickyD
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          That's one thing I don't like, is period pianos! Otherwise I would check that one out, MickyD
          Can't I tempt you with this delicious morsel, bbm?

Louis Moreau Gottschalk: Chanson du gitano, for piano, D. 28 (RO 35 & 274)Richard Burnett, on period piano.Here is a haunting, slightly melancholy melody for...

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Can't I tempt you with this delicious morsel, bbm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYZb...xga4Q&index=46
            Hmmm liked that clip, thanks!
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

I too enjoy hearing period instruments including harpsichords with the exception of the sound produced by most period pianos.
              Last edited by Stanfordian; 12-12-17, 13:43.

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Hmmm liked that clip, thanks!
                Hooray, maybe you are about to be converted, or maybe just a little more convinced. Glad you liked it, bbm.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Hooray, maybe you are about to be converted, or maybe just a little more convinced. Glad you liked it, bbm.
                  I saw some rather good looking Pleyels at Hatchlands, a couple of years ago. Be worth going there again, especially now Finchcocks has closed.
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                    • Nov 2010

While (back to the title of the thread) discussing piano music that 'floats your boat' may I put in a recommendation of the piano music of THREE somewhat neglected 20th century composers?
                    1) MOMPOU
                    2) MOERAN
                    3) RICHARDSON, Alan (late widower of the late and lamented Janet Craxton, peerless oboist)

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

I saw some rather good looking Pleyels at Hatchlands, a couple of years ago. Be worth going there again, especially now Finchcocks has closed.
                      Yes, that is a lovely place, bbm. I don't know if they still do concerts there - many years ago, some very famous pianists used to give recitals on the instruments, often those more used to concert grands.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Yes, that is a lovely place, bbm. I don't know if they still do concerts there - many years ago, some very famous pianists used to give recitals on the instruments, often those more used to concert grands.
                        Yes, certainly when we went, they were getting a room ready for one!

Steven Obsborne had Ravel's Sonatine played on Essential Classics. I remember a BaL, where he won the accolade for a work by Ravel. must get the complete cycle.

I also have Martha Argerich and someone else(can't remember off hand) playing Ravel's D & C Suite No.2! that's well worth hearing.
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                          While (back to the title of the thread) discussing piano music that 'floats your boat' may I put in a recommendation of the piano music of THREE somewhat neglected 20th century composers?
                          1) MOMPOU
                          2) MOERAN
                          3) RICHARDSON, Alan (late widower of the late and lamented Janet Craxton, peerless oboist)
                          Any recommendations on the Moeran?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            Any recommendations on the Moeran?
                            The only one I know is this nice collection https://www.em-records.com/discs/emr...3-details.html

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                              The only one I know is this nice collection https://www.em-records.com/discs/emr...3-details.html
                              Thanks Rob, that set looks very enticing!

EDIT: Can't find it as a download.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

I also have Martha Argerich and someone else(can't remember off hand) playing Ravel's D & C Suite No.2! that's well worth hearing.
                                Are you sure about this, Bbm? Sergio Tiempo & Karin Lachner play the piano duet version of Daphnis on a CD on which Argerich plays La Valse (with Tiempo), Ma Mere l'Oye (with Alexander Mogilevsky), and the Piano Concerto in G (with Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana, conducted by Jan Kaszpszyk) - but I can't find any on which she herself takes part in a Daphnis performance.
                                Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 16-12-17, 09:12.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X