• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Mahler: Symphony No. 9, conducted by Busoni
    Busoni: Piano Concerto, conducted by Mahler with Busoni as soloist

Mahler did conduct some Busoni but I don't think that Busoni ever conducted Mahler.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Elgar: Symphony no. 1 - VPO/Mahler
      I'm sure all of us would like to hear that combination of performers in anything, even Elgar, but since this thread is supposedly about recordings and Mahler died in 1911, I respectfully suggest that listening to an acoustic recording of the VPO on a 78rpm record wouldn't be a very enlightening experience at all. Or are we allowed to travel in time with digital recording equipment?

The recording I want that hasn't been made (yet?) is Pollini's Stockhausen Klavierstücke I-XI. He's played most if not all of them in concerts but I guess his perfectionism and/or the beancounters at DG have prevented him taking them into the studio. He isn't getting any younger though.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Time travel not only allowed, it is to be encouraged!

I started the thread thinking about recordings that never did, or never could exist.

Dream ticket, with dream being the operative word!

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          I'm sure all of us would like to hear that combination of performers in anything, even Elgar, but since this thread is supposedly about recordings and Mahler died in 1911, I respectfully suggest that listening to an acoustic recording of the VPO on a 78rpm record wouldn't be a very enlightening experience at all. Or are we allowed to travel in time with digital recording equipment?
          Well, recordings aren't specifically mentioned in the thread topic and the word appears for the first time only in the OP's second paragraph, so I'm not sure if his meaning was recordings only, which is why I wrote as I did in #16.

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          The recording I want that hasn't been made (yet?) is Pollini's Stockhausen Klavierstücke I-XI. He's played most if not all of them in concerts but I guess his perfectionism and/or the beancounters at DG have prevented him taking them into the studio. He isn't getting any younger though.
          I don't know how many of Stockhausen's Klavierstücke Pollini has in his repertoire but he is a composer whom Pollini has been performing for many years - probably at least half a century, I should think. No, he isn't getting any younger, but then at least two other pianists whom most people might not have expected to explore any of this repertoire did so in their latter years; Cherkassky played one or two of those pieces, I believe and Arrau was preparing Boulez's Third Sonata at the age of 88! (sadly, he died before performing it).

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Elgar conducting two works he was apparently good in - Mozart 40 and Brahms 3.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              DSCH 10 + New York Philharmonic + Pierre Boulez
              That would have been about as miraculously improbable as Michelangeli or Medtner playing ragtime or Art Tatum playing the Brahms piano concertos! Boulez expressed contempt for Shostakovich with more vehemence that even Stravinsky did.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                Boulez expressed contempt for Shostakovich with more vehemence that even Stravinsky did.

... I am glad to learn that I am not alone here.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                  Elgar conducting two works he was apparently good in - Mozart 40 and Brahms 3.
                  I've often wondered why Elgar wasn't givthe opportunity to record music other than his own.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    That would have been about as miraculously improbable as Michelangeli or Medtner playing ragtime or Art Tatum playing the Brahms piano concertos! Boulez expressed contempt for Shostakovich with more vehemence that even Stravinsky did.
                    Falls nicely within the meaning of the OP.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      That would have been a far more acceptable response to Shostakovich from Boulez and Stravinsky, methinks!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

This might seem bizarre but Karajan, The Berliner Philharmoniker and Jessye Norman doing the Gorecki Third Symphony.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          Time travel not only allowed, it is to be encouraged!
                          In which case, I would not only love to attend Mahler's conducting of the World Premier of his Eighth Symphony, I would also wish to present the composer with a box of penicillin tablets, in order to also have the opportunity to have the complete cycle of the fourteen Symphonies, five Piano Sonatas and seven String Quartets recorded under the composer's baton and/or supervision at his seventy-fifth birthday Festival in Vienna (or, more probably, Amsterdam).

(In fact, I wouldn't mind using the opportunity to go back to Lambach in 1900 to give the twelve-year-old Adolf Hitler some decent Art lessons.)
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            In which case, I would not only love to attend Mahler's conducting of the World Premier of his Eighth Symphony, I would also wish to present the composer with a box of penicillin tablets, in order to also have the opportunity to have the complete cycle of the fourteen Symphonies, five Piano Sonatas and seven String Quartets recorded under the composer's baton and/or supervision at his seventy-fifth birthday Festival in Vienna (or, more probably, Amsterdam).

(In fact, I wouldn't mind using the opportunity to go back to Lambach in 1900 to give the twelve-year-old Adolf Hitler some decent Art lessons.)
                            I thought they were all composed by Zemlinsky!

(Just a little plug for next week's COTW! )

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Come on you know the rules! You’ve watched all the TT episodes, haven’t you? You can’t interfere and change history!

Slightly worried that if you did breach the rules, it would be to improve the young lad as a water-colourist, rather than strangling him!

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                                This might seem bizarre but Karajan, The Berliner Philharmoniker and Jessye Norman doing the Gorecki Third Symphony.
                                Er - yes, it does!

Comment

Working...
                                X