John Eliot Gardiner - the pros and cons...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
    I don't find much to disagree with in Andrew Mellor's article here:

https://www.classical-music.uk/opini...-shames-us-all
    I don't disagree much either. However, as we all know, many of the personnel in these period ensembles are the from the same pool of players and I wouldn't mind betting that such is the case here.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

I don't find much to disagree with in Andrew Mellor's article here:

https://www.classical-music.uk/opini...-shames-us-all
      This is excellent

Comment

• oliver sudden
        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

I don't disagree much either. However, as we all know, many of the personnel in these period ensembles are the from the same pool of players and I wouldn't mind betting that such is the case here.
        I would be very interested if anyone here can confirm this!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

A bit confusing too if you search for Constellation Orchestra ...
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Maclintick
            • Jan 2012

That may well be so, but I wonder how the Monteverdi personnel view the Elbphilharmonie's ticket-swap offer ? Demeaning or what ? In my book it's reprehensible, and doesn't encourage me to patronise this particular venue in future.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

That may well be so, but I wonder how the Monteverdi personnel view the Elbphilharmonie's ticket-swap offer ? Demeaning or what ? In my book it's reprehensible, and doesn't encourage me to patronise this particular venue in future.
              However, they are putting on concerts by both groups, so punters can make their own choice about who to support. What have the other venues in the original tour done - have they had to choose either /or, because of space or financial constraints?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

In December Constellation are doing the concert at 5 venues. Monteverdi are doing 4 venues. The dates overlap but don't clash, so not impossible for a musician to participate in all concerts.

Comment

• LHC
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

The reports I have seen suggest that MCO's decision to sack JEG has caused division within the MCO. Some of them have made public their disagreement with the decision, and I understand have now left the MCO to join JEG's new orchestra.

An MCO spokesperson has condemned the actions of the dissenters and accused them of conducting a 'dirty tricks campaign' and of trying to undermine the orchestra. For example, this report in the Evening Standard includes the statements from both pro- and anti- JEG factions in the MCO:

I think it is clear from this that while a number of (presumably ex) members of the MCO are now part of JEG's new orchestra, there is unlikely to be any love lost between the two orchestras, especially as JEG's first engagements with his new orchestra seem to be intended specifically to undermine MCO's own bookings.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Perhaps the Gardiner should place himself on Gardening Leave...

Comment

• Master Jacques
                      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by LHC View Post

The reports I have seen suggest that MCO's decision to sack JEG has caused division within the MCO. Some of them have made public their disagreement with the decision, and I understand have now left the MCO to join JEG's new orchestra.

An MCO spokesperson has condemned the actions of the dissenters and accused them of conducting a 'dirty tricks campaign' and of trying to undermine the orchestra. For example, this report in the Evening Standard includes the statements from both pro- and anti- JEG factions in the MCO:

I think it is clear from this that while a number of (presumably ex) members of the MCO are now part of JEG's new orchestra, there is unlikely to be any love lost between the two orchestras, especially as JEG's first engagements with his new orchestra seem to be intended specifically to undermine MCO's own bookings.
                      Thank you for this link, LHC, which is - for me at least - considerably more balanced and interesting than Andrew Mellor's tract ("We as an industry are complicit in this advancement of his career, as if nothing were up.")

No "we" are not, Mr. Mellor, whatever might or might not be going on on the banks of the Elbe.

Oh, and by the way, it's not an industry, it's art.
                      Last edited by Master Jacques; 14-10-24, 19:14.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                        Oh, and by the way, it's not an industry, it's art.
                        The 'creative industries' are often spoken of, to include such wider matters as managment, admin, employment as well as performance.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oliver sudden
                          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by french frank View Post

The 'creative industries' are often spoken of, to include such wider matters as managment, admin, employment as well as performance.
                          Yes, I’m afraid it’s definitely an industry for most of us most of the time.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I cannot express how much I hate the phrase “creative industries” . Not because we are precious luvvies (though obviously we are ) but because it completely misses the point of what we are trying to do. It also lumps together dozens of different modes of creativity which have very little in common. The politicians understand very little about them and it shows. For years they never gave a monkey’s but because , along with university education , pharmaceuticals, bio-med , finance , insurance and a few other niche area it turned out the British were quite good at it they have to fake interest,

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                              The politicians … have to fake interest,
                              They ought to when figures are quoted for how many billions they add to the economy.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

... nation of shopkeepers! Politicos here only get persuaded of the 'value' of kulchur when they see the £ sign. Other European nations see things differently.

As the Rev Mr Yorick says in A Sentimental Journey - '”They order,” said I, “this matter better in France.”'

Yes, it's for the gloire and similar nonsense, but still...

Comment

Working...
                                X