X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Roll Over Beethoven

This is part of the Grauniad's headline to a #ShockHorror article detailing the decline in the percentage of classic records chosen by guests on Desert Island Discs.
    For 1972 the figure was 53% in 2016 21% .......
    Anyone any views on why .... ????

Two hopeful pointers - Clemmie on Breakfast this morning seemed to suggest that there was really nothing to worry about as Kristy Young had in her own choices chosen lots of classical stuff and I am sure Sir Beckham will start the classical resurgence on Sunday ....
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    This is part of the Grauniad's headline to a #ShockHorror article detailing the decline in the percentage of classic records chosen by guests on Desert Island Discs.

Two hopeful pointers - Clemmie on Breakfast this morning seemed to suggest that there was really nothing to worry about as Kristy Young had in her own choices chosen lots of classical stuff and I am sure Sir Beckham will start the classical resurgence on Sunday ....
    Increasingly easy availability of alternatives and changes in lifestyle spring to mind.

Comment

• CallMePaul
      • Jan 2014

I think that the article itself gives the reasons: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...lassical-music. Also, school music now places much less emphasis on classical than was once the case, so younger guests will have had less exposure to it.

I am not so sure that Beckham will pick much, if any, classical - again the article has something to say about this and remember that he is married to a former pop star.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Perhaps they should look to this site and get us Forum Members to extoll to Radio 4 about our classical music favourites?
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

I think part of the answer must lie in the fact that the calibre of many of the 'castaways' has declined. Without naming anyone, so many of the last years' have been total unknowns, or third-rate minor celebs who are nothing but TV fodder for the masses.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
            I think part of the answer must lie in the fact that the calibre of many of the 'castaways' has declined. Without naming anyone, so many of the last years' have been total unknowns, or third-rate minor celebs who are nothing but TV fodder for the masses.
            On such a basis (if indeed what you write about recent "castaways" is correct), it is a great pity not least because Kirsty[sp.] Young generally handles the programme as well if not better than any of her three predecessors.

Comment

• visualnickmos
              • Nov 2010

I totally agree. She is excellent, in the role.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

Frankly I'm amazed it's still as high as 21%!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

I believe James Robertson Justice chose multiple Beethoven Quartets played by The Busch Quartet.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... one reason for the decline in classical requests might be the collapse of cultural shame : time was when any politician, fr' instance, felt that she/he "had" to show an interest in / awareness of 'high culture' - called on to Desert Island Discs, they desperately claimed an abiding interest in Tchaikovsky or RVW - when their record shelves ar home wd have nothing but Richard Clayderman, the Monkees, ABBA, and Gracie Fields. If I'm right I think this new 'honesty' about what people really like is a good thing...

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Perhaps it would be interesting to ask board contributors what their choice would be - I think mine would be about 50/50 classical to non classical. My CD collection is probably 2/3 classical. Celeb
                      University challenge, Mastermind and Pointless seem to show poor knowledge of Classical music and maybe a good indicator of the musical knowledge and interest of 'celebs' generally.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Perhaps it would be interesting to ask board contributors what their choice would be - I think mine would be about 50/50 classical to non classical. My CD collection is probably 2/3 classical. Celeb
                        University challenge, Mastermind and Pointless seem to show poor knowledge of Classical music and maybe a good indicator of the musical knowledge and interest of 'celebs' generally.
                        Yes, my record/cassette/CD collection is roughtly 50/50 classical/jazz or "jazz-related" musics, and always has represented a pursuit in parallel since my teens.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Yes, my record/cassette/CD collection is roughtly 50/50 classical/jazz or "jazz-related" musics, and always has represented a pursuit in parallel since my teens.
                          What will not, cannot and indeed must not be tolerated under any circumstances is Roll Over BeefOven! !...

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Oh,I thought the OP was suggesting that the celebs and their music choices were a bit of a lottery......
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                              • Nov 2010

Well my recorded music collection is almost 100% 'classical', I've never really been that interested in other types of music.

Comment

Working...
                              X