X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    He could have, you know, bothered to actually compose it though.
    At least he tried and he aint no La Monte that's for sure
    I do find the early relentless pieces up to and including Einstein much more successful than any of his later music
    I remember going to hear his band in about 1983 at the old Sadlers Wells and being overwhelmed by the energy, volume and trajectory of the music

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Try as I might, I have never been able to appreciate Bartok. I realise that is my loss, and just wish that one day I could see the magic. Can anyone suggest a piece I might begin with in order to try again?

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        Try as I might, I have never been able to appreciate Bartok. I realise that is my loss, and just wish that one day I could see the magic. Can anyone suggest a piece I might begin with in order to try again?
        Oh! So many options, so it depends how you think you might start to appreciate the music.

First string quartet: think of as a 'development'/'extension' (there's a better word somewhere, but it's early and my brain is only just waking up!) of Debussy's SQ, if that's a piece that appeals.
        For a different sound world though, try SQ 4 or 5.
        If you like string music, try the Divertimento.
        If you like that, then take the plunge into the Music for SPC.
        If you like Prokofiev PC3, then try Bartok PC2; for something a bit gentler, try PC3.

Happy listening.

PS: Or there's the second violin concerto and the viola concerto, if you're into that type of genre.
        Last edited by Pulcinella; 23-04-17, 08:04. Reason: PS added.

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

just wish that one day I could see the magic.
          May be???::

New England Conservatory alumni Tessa Lark and Yannick Rafalimanana perform Bela Bartok's Romanian Folk Dances. Recorded December 5, 2013 in NEC's Jordan Hal...

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

My route into Bartok appreciation was the most obvious - the Concerto for Orchestra. It was then a relatively straightforward step to the Miraculous Mandarin (suite then full ballet), the Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste and piano concertos. Latterly I've come to love Duke Bluebeard's Castle and Four Pieces for Orchestra. I still struggle a bit with the Violin Concertos and The Wooden Prince while the String Quartets are off my radar for the time being.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Insane!

I’d suggest checking out string quartets 3 &4 and 'Music For Strings Percussion & Celesta'

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Micky D try the Double Decca of Bartok's orchestral music with the CSO and Solti.

On a total different plane I heard something dreadful which definitely did move me - Englebert Humperdinck singing Jerusalem - the terms flat,broke and busted came to mind.
                Last edited by cloughie; 23-04-17, 17:06.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

Knowing your interest in baroque music, the first thing that came to my mind was the Four Pieces for orchestra op.12, which is formally concise, a bit like a suite or a symphony, beautifully orchestrated and with clear and contrasted "affects". I had a problem with Bartók for a long time and this was one of the things that broke the deadlock.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    Oh! So many options, so it depends how you think you might start to appreciate the music.

First string quartet: think of as a 'development'/'extension' (there's a better word somewhere, but it's early and my brain is only just waking up!) of Debussy's SQ, if that's a piece that appeals.
                    For a different sound world though, try SQ 4 or 5.
                    If you like string music, try the Divertimento.
                    If you like that, then take the plunge into the Music for SPC.
                    If you like Prokofiev PC3, then try Bartok PC2; for something a bit gentler, try PC3.

Happy listening.

PS: Or there's the second violin concerto and the viola concerto, if you're into that type of genre.
                    MickyD: if you like percussion there's the Sonata for 2 Pianos and Percussion as well as the Music for SPC. One of my early routes in.

Come to think of it, it's a long time since I gave it a spin and it doesn't seem to get out much on R3.

So the way ahead is clear...
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      Insane!

I’d suggest checking out string quartets 3 &4 and 'Music For Strings Percussion & Celesta'
                      I would have thought that the Dance Suite might appeal as well.

And if in the mood for some drama, the Miraculous Mandarin is surely bound to have some kind of impact.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        I would have thought that the Dance Suite might appeal as well.

And if in the mood for some drama, the Miraculous Mandarin is surely bound to have some kind of impact.

Yes, I should have mentioned those too (and all the other suggestions....); with dance forms, albeit usually more stately and formal, being so prevalent in much baroque music (which I'd forgotten was Micky's interest until Richard reminded me) the Dance Suite could be a good entry point.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          My route into Bartok appreciation was the most obvious - the Concerto for Orchestra. It was then a relatively straightforward step to the Miraculous Mandarin (suite then full ballet), the Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste and piano concertos. Latterly I've come to love Duke Bluebeard's Castle and Four Pieces for Orchestra. I still struggle a bit with the Violin Concertos and The Wooden Prince while the String Quartets are off my radar for the time being.
                          Just heard the First VC in Concert last night. An interesting piece but not one that I will find myself returning to. The MFSPC, Concerto For Orchestra, Diverimento, and the 3 PCs are my favorite Bartok, and the Quartets are a whole different world entirely

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

Thank you so much everybody for all your kind suggestions - I really appreciate it. I have made a note of all those pieces and promise to listen to them!

That's what I like about these message boards - so many friendly folk willing to help and give advice.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Hmm... in order, then:
                              Divertimento for Strings (one of the all-time great openings! ...infernally catchy outer movements, dark & deep slow movement);
                              ​Piano Concertos 3 & 2 (similar to above, 3 - more lyrical with a sublime adagio religioso, 2 - terrific, jazzy baroque-adumbrating rhythmic kick in outer movements, with bird/insect calls in another great slow movement which juxtaposes human wonder with primal, almost alien, nature);
                              Violin Concerto No.2 (All of the above (with added Gypsy - Think Ravel Tzigane.) But on a much grander 40' scale.

Notice all the great adagios? Surely ​they should draw you in....
                              If you get this far, then - Concerto for Orchestra as a culmination.

And if you really get the bug - Wooden Prince. It's a marvellously imaginative sound world with catchy folk tunes, but just takes a few more hearings to crack...

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                                Wooden Prince. It's a marvellously imaginative sound world with catchy folk tunes, but just takes a few more hearings to crack...
                                Glad you say this because - as mentioned above - I struggle with this work even though I've loved the Concerto for Orchestra for over 40 years. I've got two recordings, both Boulez, but the piece just doesn't catch fire somehow. I'll persevere...
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X