Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

I find it strange that there has been no mention of this anywhere else, as far as I know. Is the piece considered genuine by all scholars?

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Don't know. Could be early Mozart - it's bad enough! Ok - I wish I xould write like that, but on first listening it doesn't blow me away. Neirher do most of Mozart's first twenty or so symphonies.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

This may have the answer http://slippedisc.com/2016/11/a-lost...rto-by-mozart/ (First comment)
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

That was supposed to be by Mozart??? Doesn't sound remotely like Mozart to me.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            That was supposed to be by Mozart??? Doesn't sound remotely like Mozart to me.
            I think it's plausible for an earlyish work.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              ... but for a work of 1777, when Mozart had written 30 (not merely "20") symphonies, and all the violin concertos some years earlier, as well as the Serenata Notturna and the Haffner Serenade the year before this supposed piece? You believe that Mozart could produce this piece and then go on to write the Concerto for Flute & Harp?

Even allowing for the amateur forces, Mozart never wrote anything as rhythmically flaccid as this even if it were an "earlyish" work - and all those redundant moments when the orchestral first violin line just doubles the solo flute part, the stiff structural joins, the lousy melody of the finale ...

Might be Michael Haydn.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

It does seem to have been recognised for some time as a Wendling concerto, scored or arranged by Mozart (as K284e). In Hermann Abert's WA Mozart he says, "Wendling, too, did not go away empty-handed, as we learn from a letter of 22 November 1777, that a concerto of his, scored by Mozart, was rehearsed at Cannabich's the previous day (K284e)", (tr Spencer, ed Eisner, p403). Abert died in 1927.

At any rate, the letter of 22 Nov 1777 from Mozart (to his father) says: "I was not at home but at Cannabich's, where Mr Wendling was rehearsing a concerto, which I had scored for him." (Emily Anderson)

James Strauss, who claimed in that comment on Slipped Disc that he had edited it, performed it in Vienna last October.

I can't locate the evidence that the flautist said had been used to identify it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I'm very doubtful. He'd already written his 29th Symphony by then.

Edit. Sorry, Ferney got in first.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Might be Michael Haydn.
                    OK - i take the points re dates, which several have now made.

Your comment is unkind to Michael Haydn.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      ... but for a work of 1777, when Mozart had written 30 (not merely "20") symphonies, and all the violin concertos some years earlier, as well as the Serenata Notturna and the Haffner Serenade the year before this supposed piece? You believe that Mozart could produce this piece and then go on to write the Concerto for Flute & Harp?

Even allowing for the amateur forces, Mozart never wrote anything as rhythmically flaccid as this even if it were an "earlyish" work - and all those redundant moments when the orchestral first violin line just doubles the solo flute part, the stiff structural joins, the lousy melody of the finale ...

Might be Michael Haydn.
                      You've reassured me Fernie, I was beginning to think that I would need to send back the 200CD box, after all it might now be incomplete!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                        You've reassured me Fernie, I was beginning to think that I would need to send back the 200CD box, after all it might now be incomplete!
                        - d'you know; I was so hoping this'd turn out to be genuine: just having bought the box, to have it outdated within less than a month really appealed to my delight in the absurdity of everything!
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

A slightly strange aspect is that Vinicius Kattah who is said to have discovered and identified this manuscript, and who conducted Şefika Kutluer in this first performance on 2 December, also conducted James Strauss's performance back in October, with a different ensemble. So he at least should have been able to confirm that it wasn't a first performance 'in the world'.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Who remembers Mozart's "Adélaïde" Concerto (by Casadesus)?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Me - and Menuhin gave a lovely performance of it

Comment

Working...
                              X