X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Tales from the Stave - Madam Butterfly

Forgive the self-promotion, but today's Tales from the Stave on Puccini's Madam Butterfly was one of a batch we recorded in Italy a few weeks ago and I thought some members of this forum might like to hear it. The participants were Julian Smith (who knows the score inside out, having edited the original version that is being used by La Scala this time), Maria José Siri who is singing Cio-Cio San in the La Scala production, and a few contributions from me. Anyhow, here's the iPlayer link for anyone who might enjoy it:

A celebration of the autographed manuscript of Puccini's masterpiece, Madame Butterfly.

Next week, the Vivaldi Gloria (the famous one, that is). Forthcoming (in Spring?) Turandot, Respighi's Roman triptych and Traviata, among others.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Thanks, makro. Duly noted (though not one of my favourite operas, to be honest - perhaps the programme will bring new insights). Vivaldi more to my taste, though.
    Originally posted by makropulos View Post
    Forgive the self-promotion, but today's Tales from the Stave on Puccini's Madam Butterfly was one of a batch we recorded in Italy a few weeks ago and I thought some members of this forum might like to hear it. The participants were Julian Smith (who knows the score inside out, having edited the original version that is being used by La Scala this time), Maria José Siri who is singing Cio-Cio San in the La Scala production, and a few contributions from me. Anyhow, here's the iPlayer link for anyone who might enjoy it:

A celebration of the autographed manuscript of Puccini's masterpiece, Madame Butterfly.

Next week, the Vivaldi Gloria (the famous one, that is). Forthcoming (in Spring?) Turandot, Respighi's Roman triptych and Traviata, among others.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• secondfiddle
      • Nov 2011

A fascinating programme that I only caught by chance, and well worth catching up with. Especially interesting for the changes that Puccini made to the score, particularly when the first listeners thought they had detected him reusing a phrase from La Boheme. This is the sort of programme that Radio 3 ought to put out as an interval talk in between a concert instead of playing more music.

Comment

• Flay
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by secondfiddle View Post
        This is the sort of programme that Radio 3 ought to put out as an interval talk in between a concert instead of playing more music.
        Absolutely! Yet again Radio 4 does it better
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
        X